New member from Athens

RyanJG

Ready to start taking on some track days. I have Road Atlanta and Roebling close enough to attend on Sundays. Before I purchase a track bike I want to make sure this is something that I will get addicted to so I will ride my R6 until im ready if that's ok. I have full leathers and a bike. What else do I need to get started?

I literally have no idea what im doing but ready to get my feet wet. Ive been wanting to get on the track for a long time.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Welcome, Ryan. Check out the Riders' Manual: http://www.n2td.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/N2-Riders-Manual-Ver.-2.0.1.pdf
It's perfectly fine to ride your R6, it's an awesome bike! The Riders' Manual will give you the information you need with regards to bike prep and gear requirements, as well as information about how the day is run.

After reading it, feel free to ask away with any other question.

You will love riding on the track, no better way to improve your skills, meet a bunch of really great like-minded folks, and have a ton of fun!

RyanJG

I read through the Manual this morning. Great write up! So now I know what I need to do to get my bike ready and somewhat what to expect.

So im assuming I just need to make sure my bike it track ready and show up ready to learn, then ride?

tdelegram

Control Rider
Bike and safety gear, you might want to consider some shelter from the sun, water/sports drinks and a chair. Don't forget the safety gear either! If you make it north feel free to look me up or just ask away on the forum.

Tom

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Yup, make sure you are there in plenty of time. Tech and registration open a 7 am and close promptly at 8. There will be an announcement. The mandatory riders meeting is a 8:15. After some general information, the Novice group, which you'll be in, will separate off to the classroom (or some separate area) to go over more details and explain very important information on track riding, pit in/it out procedures, etc. - critical stuff. Then you'll be assigned with the other first timers to a CR (control rider) who will work with you to show you the lines around the track - lead/follow - and meet with you after the session to go over any questions, and give you pointers.

There will be a meeting over lunch for the Novices and anyone else interested to discuss body position and answer any questions. Then more track time in the afternoon.

Like Tom said, bring a canopy for shade and a chair. If you don't have a canopy and don't want to purchase one at this point, bring a chair and introduce yourself to whomever you're pitted next to. Most folks, when they find out it's your first day, will welcome you under their canopy. Bring plenty of water, snacks, lunch. And an extra 5 gallon can of gas, although most tracks do have gas pumps (but it's pricey!). Are you planning on trailering your bike to the event? Some folks ride, but it makes for a really long day. You'll be surprised how tired you'll be after one 20 min session.

RyanJG

Thanks for all the great info! I had planned on just trailering it there even though its close enough I could ride it. I really was hoping to attend the Road Atlanta event in a few weeks but I just don't think im going to have enough time to get everything ready and get new tires on the bike even though they should be in stock by now. And im sure registration is full by now. I think I know must of what I need to do. Remove mirrors, tape lights, pull fuses for lights ect. Have a safe bike with good tires and bring plenty of off track necessities like shade, seating, fluids. Just kind of intimidating being as ive never done this.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
It's intimidating the first time, but once you've gotten thru tech and reg and are at the riders meeting, it'll go smoothly. Everyone, both staff and fellow riders, are more than willing to help. Introduce yourself to the people pitted near you. They'll point out where tech is. Everyone is intimidated for their first event. Then after that first one, you'll be hooked! Other events will much easier after that!

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Oh, and don't forget to put a number on your bike. You can pick any number over 10, and also enter it in the system where you sign up for the events

mike_21

Control Rider
Hey Ryan, There are a lot of us from the Atlanta area riding. Remember, everyone of us has been in your position once. It may seem a little overwhelming but there are plenty of people to help you thru the process and make sure you have an awesome time. I'll be at Road Atlanta and would be more than happy to assist you on and off the track. Hit m up if you have any questions and WELCOME!

RyanJG

Hey Ryan, There are a lot of us from the Atlanta area riding. Remember, everyone of us has been in your position once. It may seem a little overwhelming but there are plenty of people to help you thru the process and make sure you have an awesome time. I'll be at Road Atlanta and would be more than happy to assist you on and off the track. Hit m up if you have any questions and WELCOME!

Thanks! I'm not going to have new tires on by the 15th but I think I'm just going to go check everything out and attend the riders meeting and all....that way when the first or second weekend in may rolls around I'll have a little better idea of what to do and can actually get on the track!

RyanJG

I'm so on the fence. Do I go ahead and try to get everything ready and ride at road Atlanta coming up in less than two weeks? Lol

I just feel like I'm going to get there and not be prepared. But if I go just to spectate then I'll wish I had my bike

wmhjr

Grandpa
Control Rider
Ryan, don't stress out. For your bike, so long as it's in good riding condition there really isn't all that much to getting it ready. It might sound overwhelming but it's really pretty stress free. Other than the tires, the rest of prepping a bike for Novice group riding is really just going over normal maintenance you should be doing anyway, and taking care of taping up your lights, throwing numbers on it with tape, etc. If you miss something it's not likely that it'll be a big deal and if the bike is in good condition there are plenty of people willing to help fix you up.

If you have leathers, boots, gloves, helmet - and possibly a back protector, the rest is just showing up ready to learn.

Either way, hope you'll be there in April - riding or not.

RyanJG

I think I'm gonna go ahead and register and be there on the Sunday coming up in 2 weeks. Gonna get the tires on there and may even throw some new brake pads on it just to be sure. I have full leathers and my jacket zips with the pants about 90% of the way. The rider manual said full circumference but I didn't know if that would work or if I needed to go ahead and purchase a suit. I have quality riding gear. I don't skip out on protection or anything really lol.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
The jacket and pants sound like full circumference, it goes most of the way around, probably leaving 4-6 inches in the front. As opposed to the jackets with the short 6-8 inch zipper that just goes across the back.