New old person from Tennessee

MoerachR3

Yamaha R3 & Kawasaki KLX 140
Hi everyone! Looking to improve basic techniques and practice skills that will help to keep me safe on the road. Before I do any track days (which I am VERY nervous about but am determined to do), I’m going to have to make some investments. My main question: Rental suits. How much are they and am I going to regret not buying my own? (I may only use it once?). Also, the boots I need to get - any recommendations? I have a hard time getting used to the lack of “feel”, but I understand the need for protection.

And I am REAAALLLLLY looking forward to experiencing Barber.

CBRtist

Hola! Welcome! I believe that rental suits are $50, we also have boots, but there is a limited availability to be sure to secure it prior to your day. My advice would be do the rental, plus they are Dainese suits FTW, and then decide from there if you want to start making investments . And you will, believe me. "I'm only doing one N2 Track Day" is hardly said by no man ever haha.

Lack of feel? Lol... is that you on the dirt bike in your avatar? You're wearing gear right? Wasn't getting you on that one.

Being nervous is totally natural, but the first step is what you are doing right now and once you start your day, you'll quickly acclimate and settle in. We have plenty of instruction and classroom time if you feel anything is amiss or have questions. Also, consider our ATP Program https://www.n2td.org/atp/ which will be at our Barber event.

I will be at Barber and I am in Novice. Feel free to PM me with questions or just find me there.

MoerachR3

Lack of feel? Lol... is that you on the dirt bike in your avatar? You're wearing gear right? Wasn't getting you on that one.

Haha, yes that’s me. And it took so long to get used to those big ol clunky boots - can’t feel squat of course. On my street bike I use a pair of Alpinestar “boots” with a fairly thin sole. They don’t cover much more than what a hiking boot would, so I may have to do some research and consider buying a pair of boots with better coverage - giving me the time to get used to the new feel before a track day. Look forward to meeting you!

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Welcome! Also check out the Riders' Manual for information on bike prep, etc. https://www.n2td.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/N2-Riders-Manual-2018.pdf

Be prepared to have a ton of fun and learn a lot! Everyone is very helpful, staff and members alike!

You'll find that the roadracing boots, like your shorty Alpinestars, also have thin soles compared to dirt bike boots. Problem is, they wear out quickly. I had to resole a pair of 2 year old Alpinestar Supertechs, LOL.

As of now, I'll be at Barber too, probably pitting near Wendy. Look us up!

MoerachR3

Welcome! Also check out the Riders' Manual for information on bike prep, etc. https://www.n2td.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/N2-Riders-Manual-2018.pdf

Be prepared to have a ton of fun and learn a lot! Everyone is very helpful, staff and members alike!

You'll find that the roadracing boots, like your shorty Alpinestars, also have thin soles compared to dirt bike boots. Problem is, they wear out quickly. I had to resole a pair of 2 year old Alpinestar Supertechs, LOL.

As of now, I'll be at Barber too, probably pitting near Wendy. Look us up!

Awesome. Thanks for the info :)

Where do you live in Tn? I am 75 miles northwest of Nashville. I will be at Barber too. You have chosen the best track day organization to ride with. If you want the best training for track days, look intoYCRS. A lot of the Control Riders have attended as well as having been guest instructors of YCRS. N2 will help you learn a lot of techniques which are taught at the school which are imperative to track days. Welcome to N2!!

MoerachR3

Where do you live in Tn? I am 75 miles northwest of Nashville. I will be at Barber too. You have chosen the best track day organization to ride with. If you want the best training for track days, look intoYCRS. A lot of the Control Riders have attended as well as having been guest instructors of YCRS. N2 will help you learn a lot of techniques which are taught at the school which are imperative to track days. Welcome to N2!!

I’m over in Chattanooga. I don’t think I’ll be able to do YCRS now, but thanks for the info - I didn’t even know about them. I’m just looking to dip my toes in so that I can learn more... I’m doing the same for my dirt skills.

Mike:p

Don’t be a Hero, be consistent.
Welcome! I have to disagree with you Wendy on the statement that is hardly said by no man ever “I am only doing one N2 Track Day” I told my wife that big fat lie a dozen times before my first TD. I knew full well that I was coming back but I didn’t realize how big a lie it was until that first day was over. I couldn’t wait to get back.

I will be at Barber too, near Wendy and Judy. I haven’t seen Judy since my first TD, she was pitted right in front of me and gave me pointers between every session. So Judy if you’re reading this let me know what your favorite adult beverage is and I will bring you some.

MoerachR3 you’re in good hands when it comes to the N2 crew and with the people that regularly ride with them. I’ve never met anyone with an ego or bad attitude and probably never will. Read the manual like Judy said and you will be fine. I guarantee by the end of the end of your first Track Day the nervousness you have will turn into anticipation for next next TD.

One more thing I live in TN too. I’m 90 miles north east of Knoxville.

MoerachR3

Thanks everyone!!! Your words are putting my mind at ease - I’ve been a little afraid of a destructively competitive environment. Now I’m getting a bit more excited!

We visited Barber’s museum about 4 years ago and I remember looking through the windows and thinking “Damn. That looks like fun”. We also went to the MotoAmerica race there last year - felt the same way. Now I will get my wish. Time to join. Time to register.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
MoerachR3 - Track days aren't competitive; that's what racing is for, and many folks have taken that next step; but not all do (I've never raced!). The goal of a track day is to leave with you and your equipment in the same shape as when you showed up in the morning; to have improved your skills; to have had fun; to have made a lot of new like-minded friends!

Mike:p - thank you for your kind words! We all enjoy helping fellow riders improve!

HondaGalToo

Control Rider

Good post, just want to add that the techniques taught by YCRS will also make you a better street rider!