New Pirelli Slick - Pirelli Superbike Pro

Sklossmonster

Normally, Dave, you have to say my name three times to make me appear, but I'll make an exception in this case ;)

I have not yet heard when Pirelli will be releasing their latest line of tire, and Dustin will probably be the first to know since he's the official race tire vendor for Pirelli in these parts.

As far as the never ending debate about which tire is better, it kind of reminds me of the never ending debate about which bike is better, or which brand of anything is better. In the end, it's a rider's choice that should be made based on their needs, wants, and personal preferences.

That being said, I'm a big proponent of supporting the folks who support you. Whether it's tires, bikes, rearsets, brake pads, or trackside vendors, the fact is there's more to a purchase than just the product itself. There's also the customer service, the technical support, and the brand/organizational loyalty that goes with it.

And don't worry, Jeff, we can set your bike back up for whatever you want. Just don't tell me you want to run Tomahawks!

Sklossmonster

You see what a complete lack of alcohol, nicotine, and caffeine can do to a man?!?! I'd tell you all about it but I'm late for my red tea and sunflower kernels. If I weren't so politically correct and nice right now I'd slap myself.

Matt

Sklossmonster;105778 wrote: You see what a complete lack of alcohol, nicotine, and caffeine can do to a man?!?! I'd tell you all about it but I'm late for my red tea and sunflower kernels. If I weren't so politically correct and nice right now I'd slap myself.
what are you going to do Saturday?

No worry on the Tomahawks...

Not going there...

I also have confidence in your ability to set the bike up for whatever tire choice I make. That has never been a question...

The question is really more about my personal learning curve and personal preferences than anything else.

In terms of availability, if it's like everything else in the motorcycle industry, we will be behind the rest of the world in terms of tire technology. European countries are likely to see it first and then it might make it here eventually.

The magic words that got me excited about the possibilities were: Easier Setup, Quicker Warm-up, Longer Wear, and Less Cost...

Pretty much any self supporting track day junkie would love to have all those things in a tire...

Jeff

GIGOLO

I would like to see a side-by-side comparison for warm up times. There are still a lot of people that dont use warmers.

sobottka

Sklossmonster;105778 wrote: You see what a complete lack of alcohol, nicotine, and caffeine can do to a man?!?! I'd tell you all about it but I'm late for my red tea and sunflower kernels. If I weren't so politically correct and nice right now I'd slap myself.
kernels? late for tea? .. :notsure: ....politically correct? whats wrong with you? :poorguy:

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
GIGOLO;105792 wrote: I would like to see a side-by-side comparison for warm up times. There are still a lot of people that dont use warmers.
Yeah, like me! I'm trying to decide what Pirelli to replace my DCIIIs with, since they are being discontinued. The Diablo Rosso Corsa is the DCIII replacement, and I'm sure they'd be fine, but since my bike is track-only I'm considering the new(ish) Diablo Supercorsa SP. From what I hear, it warms up quicker than the DOT race version, doesn't need warmers, and is still decent in the wet. Thoughts?

Nexus

+1 to whoever posted the link to www.diabloracer.com. Yeah it's another forum, but it's specific to Pirellis. Dustin from Cyclepath is on there as well as other trackside distributors so there's lots of good Pirelli specific info.

Cyclepath

Judy, I think we talked a little before, but I can tell you without a dought that the Diablo Supercorsa SP is a kick ass tire. We had a tire test at Autobohn Mid 2009, and we tested that tire for endurance and grip. Matt Hall ran 1:05's on them for 4hrs. We finally gave up wanting to get him on something else. Then, I gave them to a guy named Jim Rodefer, he raced them for a few sprints..... They are crazy, but also Pricey.... The new Pirelli Supercorsa Pro TD, is the exact same tire compound, only on the Supercorsa Pro carcass instead of the diablo. It is actually the same tire as the superbike pro, only in the DOT form. It will be very nicely priced as well. In the $300'ish range....

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Cyclepath;105851 wrote: The new Pirelli Supercorsa Pro TD, is the exact same tire compound, only on the Supercorsa Pro carcass instead of the diablo. It is actually the same tire as the superbike pro, only in the DOT form. It will be very nicely priced as well. In the $300'ish range....
That sounds like the one I've been hearing about and want, but can't confirm. I picked up a new brochure at the NY motorcycle show and talked to the Pirelli guy there. No mention of that tire. :notsure:

spooner427

Sklossmonster;105510 wrote: And don't worry, Jeff, we can set your bike back up for whatever you want. Just don't tell me you want to run Tomahawks!
Where were you a few years ago!! Here is a pic of a Tomahawk race DOT "aka Explode-a-matics" that is what my friend and I started calling them after this happened to his tire
4314392288_9a5f9f0028.jpg

Tire still held air but all the retreaded rubber tore off down the center.

shaugdog

^Wow, imagine if the edge of the carcass gave out mid-turn? Prolly lucky it was the center of the tire, if any part of your tire failing could be called lucky.

spooner427

GIGOLO;105961 wrote: I cant imagine that was a tire that was anywhere near new.
It was newly retreaded by Tomhawk. I have no clue how old the carcass was. Was used on the track for 1 day and then this happened out on the Eway. I wouldnt suggest people to run Tomahawk tires.

ThePro8

Sklossmonster;105510 wrote:
As far as the never ending debate about which tire is better, it kind of reminds me of the never ending debate about which bike is better,
...umm...hot muffler racing's 2007 gsxr 600 is the best, duh :spank: