New Rider From Raleigh-Durham-CH

25knots

Just joined the forum and wanted to say "hi." I'm hoping to start going to track days and am trying to figure out all the logistic (transport, prep, gear, etc.) so any advice you want to offer would be really welcome.

I've been riding small displacement sport bikes (500's) for about five years now, so I'm not an expert by any means. I'm hoping riding on the track will help me push myself a bit, and do it in an environment that's a bit more controlled and somewhat more predictable.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Welcome! You've got the right idea, riding on the track will definitely help you improve your skills. Check out our Riders' Manual http://www.n2td.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/N2-Riders-Manual-Ver.-2.0.1.pdf

It'll let you know the rules, how the day is run (tech/reg times), what is needed for bike prep and gear.

Ask away for any other specific questions, we're here to help!

It's best to trailer your bike to the track if you can. If you don't have a way to do that, post up in the ride share section to see if you can ride with someone.

25knots

Welcome! You've got the right idea, riding on the track will definitely help you improve your skills. Check out our Riders' Manual http://www.n2td.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/N2-Riders-Manual-Ver.-2.0.1.pdf

It'll let you know the rules, how the day is run (tech/reg times), what is needed for bike prep and gear.

Ask away for any other specific questions, we're here to help!

It's best to trailer your bike to the track if you can. If you don't have a way to do that, post up in the ride share section to see if you can ride with someone.

Thanks alot. I'm aiming to get organized to sign up for the NC Bike track day on 5/28. I've got a bunch of questions about passing tech and if there's anyone who lives in the area and would be willing to help me go over my bike to look for potential problem areas, I'd gladly pay in beer or a soft drink of your choosing.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
I'm not in your area or I'd help. Is there something specific not covered in the manual that we can help with on the forum?

25knots

I'm not in your area or I'd help. Is there something specific not covered in the manual that we can help with on the forum?
The manual's pretty comprehensive and clear, but there are some random details it couldn't possibly cover that I have some questions about.

For instance:

1) The previous owner of my bike dropped it (I swear, it really was the previous owner :), though I'm not above admitting I've dropped a motorcycle before) and it scraped flat the ball end of the front brake lever. I'd say 90% of the ball is in its original rounded condition, it's just one side of the ball that's a little flat, but a ball with a small flat side isn't technically a ball anymore, is it? And since "technically" here is the name of the game, I'm worried that might be a problem. So, would that be a problem?

2) I'm thinking of going the two-piece leather suit route for now and I already have a pair of AGV leather pants with a 360 zipper at the top. I've been looking at jackets that would attach to that 360 zipper and it seems like a lot of them don't directly connect the bottom leather edge of the jacket (at the waist) to the top leather edge of the pants. Instead, they've got a long zipper that's attached to a fabric/elastic flap on the inside of the jacket. It looks like that flap generally connects to the jacket's leather about three or four inches up from the bottom edge, and that it also doesn't entirely complete a 360 degree loop of the jacket's bottom circumference.
I'd call it more of a 340 degree zipper, which, again, isn't "technically" the same thing.
Here's a picture of what I'm talking about, from an online review of the jacket I was thinking about purchasing. You can see the guy on our left holding the "360 Degree Zipper" in his left hand.
Screen%2BShot%2B2016-04-28%2Bat%2B8.12.29%2BAM.png

Am I nit-picking here? Probably, but I'm guessing that sometimes Tech Inspections are nit-picky.

Motofun352

Control Rider
Actual 2 piece leathers have nearly full circumference zippers that attach leather to leather. I have an old (I mean 20 years old!) AGV 2 piece suit like this so I assume they still make compatible 2 piece suits and or jackets. Zipper compatibility can be an issue if mixing brands or even different years. Given a choice, though, go for a 0ne piece suit....there are some very reasonably priced suits out there, in fact, many of the folks here have AGV suits. The only other thing I can add is, if at all possible, try them on before buying or understand the return policy before you buy. AGV's for example are more "American" cut where as Dianese or A-stars are more "European" (ie skinny:))

25knots

Actual 2 piece leathers have nearly full circumference zippers that attach leather to leather. I have an old (I mean 20 years old!) AGV 2 piece suit like this so I assume they still make compatible 2 piece suits and or jackets. Zipper compatibility can be an issue if mixing brands or even different years. Given a choice, though, go for a 0ne piece suit....there are some very reasonably priced suits out there, in fact, many of the folks here have AGV suits. The only other thing I can add is, if at all possible, try them on before buying or understand the return policy before you buy. AGV's for example are more "American" cut where as Dianese or A-stars are more "European" (ie skinny:))
So I'm guessing the jacket I showed in the picture wouldn't pass tech?

Motofun352

Control Rider
It looks like the zipper is attached to a cloth "skirt" not the leather itself...I don't believe that would be OK, I certainly wouldn't ride in it. It would simply ride up and expose your belly or back in a foot first slide.....so, to answer your question...no.

25knots

It looks like the zipper is attached to a cloth "skirt" not the leather itself...I don't believe that would be OK, I certainly wouldn't ride in it. It would simply ride up and expose your belly or back in a foot first slide.....so, to answer your question...no.
Thanks. This really clears things up for me. I'm going to start looking at purpose built suits.

Lenny ZX9R

Control Rider
Welcome aboard 25knots! Your going to have some fun and even learn a little too! Its good that your asking questions now, so you'll be ready when your track day gets here! Just relax and have fun!:)

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
That is however, how most off-the-rack suits are made, with the zipper attached to the liner, or to a piece of material "skirt". My friend had a 2 piece Taichi with the zipper on the liner. Vanson suits - same thing. The only way I got a leather to leather full zip on a Vanson suit was to get custom and specifically request it.

I agree that the zipper on the liner, material, etc, isn't the safest. But it is full circumference, so I would think it technically passes, although I also wouldn't want to ride on the track in it for the reasons Jack mentions.

25knots, if you are going to get a suit specifically for the track, get a one piece. If you want to get a safer 2 piece, do look for one with a leather to leather zipper attachment. I think that will take some research. I may be wrong, but I do think a lot of them don't have the leather to leather attachment. Worth looking into as you shop.

Edit: based on Tad's picture, it looks like my assumption is correct, so the suit you have should pass tech.

Last edited:

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Do you have a pic of the lever "ball"? I think if 90% of the ball is there, you should be ok. Any sharp, pointed edges?

tad158

Astronomer not Astrologer
This is false information.

That is exactly how my two piece suit connects, and has passed tech with EVERY track day org I have ran with (numbering about ten different ones). It is also exactly how far around it zips, about 4 inches centred on the fly of the pants. This is also the only way they sell of the rack suits. For some if us with weird bodies, a two piece suit is the only way it will fit with out going to a full custom suit....

I have crashed in both high and low sides and did not have the issue you claim above.....

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Agreed, Tad. And, full circumference is what you've shown, it actually goes about 3/4 of the way around. It's not a full 360 degrees.
I thought most off-the-racks had the zipper attached to the liner, or material, and that it was acceptable.

tad158

Astronomer not Astrologer
When you have it on, it is a bit more than that....more than that and it would bind at your tummy.