New rider in pa/ jersey

JBowen33

Hey I'm new. Never been on a track before but I'm not a new person to the sportbike world. I have had a sportbike for the last 7 years and looking forward to getting a knee down on the track. Just recently purchased a Ducati and have signed up for two track days. Any advice for a new guy with bike prep and generally how everything works would be great!

Thank you,

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Welcome! Check out the Riders' Manual, it'll describe what you need to do for bike prep, as well as what gear is required. And a bunch of other important stuff: http://nesba1.web12.hubspot.com/Portals/167063/docs/manual.pdf?__hstc=100591105.0cd591c346099719cc3e73f041f008db.1367829852660.1367829852660.1367829852660.1&__hssc=100591105.1.1367829852660

Tips? Focus on being smooth with all inputs, learning the line, and good body position. Forget about speed and a knee down as your main focus. If your technique is good, speed and a knee on deck will be the byproduct. Get advice from the Control Riders (CRs), they are in orange shirts and are a great source of information.

What days did you sign up for?

mike_21

Control Rider
Welcome! There are never enough Ducatis on the track. In addition to the above comments and if you have not already done so, you should have your suspension set up. It is easily the best $40 you can invest in your bike.

z064life

JBowen33;272513 wrote: Hey I'm new. Never been on a track before but I'm not a new person to the sportbike world. I have had a sportbike for the last 7 years and looking forward to getting a knee down on the track. Just recently purchased a Ducati and have signed up for two track days. Any advice for a new guy with bike prep and generally how everything works would be great!

Thank you,
This is going to come off harsh, but 7 years of street riding doesn't really mean much. The key to getting fast, is coming to trackdays, leaving any attitude and ego at home. Come out, listen to the CRs and other experienced riders, have an open mind and be willing to learn and be told what you are doing wrong even though you have 7 years of "experience". There will always be someone faster...and if there isn't you'll be earning millions and we can all watch you on TV.

You'll have a great time if you do that, I've seen a lot of guys show up and bitch that they are in B group and how fast they are only to have them crash (multiple times) for no reason other than they thought they didn't have anything to learn.

JBowen33

mike_21;272551 wrote: Welcome! There are never enough Ducatis on the track. In addition to the above comments and if you have not already done so, you should have your suspension set up. It is easily the best $40 you can invest in your bike.
That's actually a great idea I never really thought about that. Not sure how to get it set tho. In my opinion I do feel like I have a pretty aggressive set up as it is with my current set up with suspension and my fuel mapping but I could be wrong. I am very new to the track scene but I feel I have a good start with the bike I have.

JBowen33

z064life;272563 wrote: This is going to come off harsh, but 7 years of street riding doesn't really mean much. The key to getting fast, is coming to trackdays, leaving any attitude and ego at home. Come out, listen to the CRs and other experienced riders, have an open mind and be willing to learn and be told what you are doing wrong even though you have 7 years of "experience". There will always be someone faster...and if there isn't you'll be earning millions and we can all watch you on TV.

You'll have a great time if you do that, I've seen a lot of guys show up and bitch that they are in B group and how fast they are only to have them crash (multiple times) for no reason other than they thought they didn't have anything to learn.
I certainly agree with you. I'm not looking to go out on the track and expect to be Valentino Rossi right away. I honestly just want to go out relax and have some fun. That's my whole outlook on it.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Markbilt is at the NJMP events and is the one to go to for a suspension set up. He'll get you squared away for 40 bucks. Right at the track, super convenient.

JBowen33

HondaGalToo;272517 wrote: Welcome! Check out the Riders' Manual, it'll describe what you need to do for bike prep, as well as what gear is required. And a bunch of other important stuff: http://nesba1.web12.hubspot.com/Portals/167063/docs/manual.pdf?__hstc=100591105.0cd591c346099719cc3e73f041f008db.1367829852660.1367829852660.1367829852660.1&__hssc=100591105.1.1367829852660

Tips? Focus on being smooth with all inputs, learning the line, and good body position. Forget about speed and a knee down as your main focus. If your technique is good, speed and a knee on deck will be the byproduct. Get advice from the Control Riders (CRs), they are in orange shirts and are a great source of information.

What days did you sign up for?
I signed up for June 14th intro and beginner class for June 21st

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
JBowen33;272586 wrote: I certainly agree with you. I'm not looking to go out on the track and expect to be Valentino Rossi right away. I honestly just want to go out relax and have some fun. That's my whole outlook on it.
Perfect, that's the attitude to have. We're all here to learn and have fun.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
JBowen33;272588 wrote: I signed up for June 14th intro and beginner class for June 21st
I won't be at that event. But, let the folks you're pitting near know that you're new. Everyone is super friendly and helpful. If they know you're new, they'll point you in the right direction for registration and tech.

JBowen33

HondaGalToo;272590 wrote: I won't be at that event. But, let the folks you're pitting near know that you're new. Everyone is super friendly and helpful. If they know you're new, they'll point you in the right direction for registration and tech.
Ok I certainly will. That's one thing I was worried about having no clue what to do and looking like an idiot haha. I appreciate all your help! Thank you!

z064life

JBowen33;272600 wrote: Ok I certainly will. That's one thing I was worried about having no clue what to do and looking like an idiot haha. I appreciate all your help! Thank you!
we've all been that guy...just say hi..someone will help you.

z064life

JBowen33;272584 wrote: That's actually a great idea I never really thought about that. Not sure how to get it set tho. In my opinion I do feel like I have a pretty aggressive set up as it is with my current set up with suspension and my fuel mapping but I could be wrong. I am very new to the track scene but I feel I have a good start with the bike I have.
I had mine setup pretty close....and was going through a set of tires every 2-3 days. Chuck did his magic and I now easily get 5 days and can probably push 6 on a set given the right tracks. So he has saved me 50% or more in tire cost for the year which amounts to (for me) almost $2000....all for $40

Myers

Control Rider
WELCOME to NESBA... ears and eyes wide open will help you gain a smooth and fast line! Feel free to PM me and lets get you on the track! I havent ridden a bike on the street since I started riding with NESBA.. You will understand why after your first session. Looking forward to seeing you out there and feel free to hit me up if you would like any help.

Len

Ducati Pete

JBowen33;272513 wrote: Hey I'm new. Never been on a track before but I'm not a new person to the sportbike world. I have had a sportbike for the last 7 years and looking forward to getting a knee down on the track. Just recently purchased a Ducati and have signed up for two track days. Any advice for a new guy with bike prep and generally how everything works would be great!

Thank you,

Welcome J,

Like you, I am relatively new to the track. Started late last year and have done several days now. People are great. You will find a huge mix of folks and all are helpful and willing to bend over backwards for you.

Don't wait until mid July, do a road trip and come to Pitt (Da Beave) for Memorial Weekend. Excellent smaller track to cut your teeth on. Not a huge number of people and we're having a KICK ASS party Saturday night.

Again Welcome!!!
Pete

JBowen33

z064life;272612 wrote: I had mine setup pretty close....and was going through a set of tires every 2-3 days. Chuck did his magic and I now easily get 5 days and can probably push 6 on a set given the right tracks. So he has saved me 50% or more in tire cost for the year which amounts to (for me) almost $2000....all for $40
Alright I will have to give that a shot! Thank you