New to group / advice for road Atlanta :)

jpiwko

New to the group :) if I don’t head over seas I’ll be at the July 5&6 track day.

first time tracking a bike (besides a few fun rides at Watkins glen) but, will be taking my s1000rr to road to Atlanta to see what i can do it.

-will there be a power supply for tire warmers?
-what all has to be safetied to pass tech?
-what kind of tape for the headlights? (Thinking 3m blue painter tape)
-any tips/advice?
Thanks everyone!

-jp

bmart

Control Rider
For details on bike prep, see the rider's manual.
Power is limited but there is some available. Last time I was there only part of the pits was open, so plan accordingly.
Painter's tape is fine, but make sure the lenses are clean so that the tape stays on. Also pull the bulbs/harness connection to avoid overheating/melting.
Advice? Hold on and plan to have a blast! Road A is a hoot. Come say hi. I'll give you some pointers and likely even do a track walk with you on Friday evening (early) if we're both there.

jpiwko

For details on bike prep, see the rider's manual.
Power is limited but there is some available. Last time I was there only part of the pits was open, so plan accordingly.
Painter's tape is fine, but make sure the lenses are clean so that the tape stays on. Also pull the bulbs/harness connection to avoid overheating/melting.
Advice? Hold on and plan to have a blast! Road A is a hoot. Come say hi. I'll give you some pointers and likely even do a track walk with you on Friday evening (early) if we're both there.
I looked over the the manual but it only says “recommended” for the oil filter and plug. Just wondering if the axel nut, etc needs it as well?

tdelegram

Control Rider
Until you’re running Advanced you won’t be required to have the bike safety wired. In reality wiring unless done correct reminds you to check the bolt tension. If you wire like an aeronautics then you’ll also maintain torque and stop loosening. It’s a good practice to do it to check your work. If you’re racing each org has different requirements so check their manual.

Assuming my paw is healed, which it should be, I’ll be at that round rehabbing, look me up, I’ll most likely coach novice Saturday.

jpiwko

Until you’re running Advanced you won’t be required to have the bike safety wired. In reality wiring unless done correct reminds you to check the bolt tension. If you wire like an aeronautics then you’ll also maintain torque and stop loosening. It’s a good practice to do it to check your work. If you’re racing each org has different requirements so check their manual.

Assuming my paw is healed, which it should be, I’ll be at that round rehabbing, look me up, I’ll most likely coach novice Saturday.
Is it .020” or 0.032” wire? I have both (I’m a retired army Blackhawk crew dawg / a&p Mechanic/ pilot, so safeties and proper tq are aviation standard, figured I’d apply it to my bike as well since same concept one critical item fails = i fail)

tdelegram

Control Rider
I prefer the thiner stuff, it’s easier to work with and CCS doesn’t allow clips on oil filter, drain or fill, so I have to cut and wire when in any of them. You can use clips and paint once torqued paint a flat on head and corresponding mark next to head to speed up reassemble for things like calipers, axle nuts, pinch bolts....

ScubaSteve

Is it .020” or 0.032” wire? I have both (I’m a retired army Blackhawk crew dawg / a&p Mechanic/ pilot, so safeties and proper tq are aviation standard, figured I’d apply it to my bike as well since same concept one critical item fails = i fail)

Hey! Me, too. Well not retired, but 15T turned 153A.