New to N2

Brandon35

Fairly new to the track scene, only started last year and ran Track Day Winner in the Novice Group as well as Fast Line Track Days in Intermediate 1. Heading to NCM on 01JUN with N2; we'll see if I get bumped to intermediate or they keep me in Novice to start.

I ride a 1996 zx6r; a carburated little Ninja with an attitude. Pretty much rebuilt from the ground up - Crankcase replacement, transmission shimming, frame welding, suspension rebuilding, body work replacement (and fixing after a high side coming out of a parking lot, go figure), and the list goes on. Slowly but surely starting to wander away from street riding in favor of the track, but I keep her set up for either.

Lived in Cali for a bit, had a good time hitting the mountain roads towards Glendora and the like.

Excited to get back out there and work on the fundamentals.

- Brandon

Attachments

• 2) Sep23.JPG
    2) Sep23.JPG
    523 KB · Views: 24
  • Cali RIde.jpg
    Cali RIde.jpg
    490.8 KB · Views: 22

The B Team

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
If you've never ridden with N2, then they'll put you in novice to start, but once you have a chance to get settled and figure out the line, you can always find a CR and snag them for an eval. Just keep in mind it is generally considered courteous to wait until at least a session or two has actually occurred before you go asking for a bump. Your BP is looking real good though. You're going to want to line up in the left hand lane in novice for sure.

Brandon35

If you've never ridden with N2, then they'll put you in novice to start, but once you have a chance to get settled and figure out the line, you can always find a CR and snag them for an eval. Just keep in mind it is generally considered courteous to wait until at least a session or two has actually occurred before you go asking for a bump. Your BP is looking real good though. You're going to want to line up in the left hand lane in novice for sure.

Cool, yeah I was reading the riders manual about the left lane thing which is cool. The registration page did have a comments section and stated that depending on experience they may put riders into Intermediate for their first N2 track day rather than Novice, but I have no idea what metric is used for that.

I had a blast on my last track day; Fast Line broke it down into a "slow" and a "fast" intermediate (I was in the slow of course) so 15min sessions but got a taste for inside passes. Just looking to get more comfortable and have opportunities to ride at my own pace; the last session with Fast Line was me figuring out that I had waaay more front brake power to use and that my trail braking could be a lot more aggressive too. The confidence there skyrocketed, and then suddenly we were done for the season lol.

Brandon35

Welcome to N2!

"so 15min sessions but got a taste for inside passes" In the intermediate group?

Yeah, I'm not super familiar with what right/normal looks like, but the staff for Fast Line that day said that if our groups were being safe and the pace was good they'd open up inside passes. After lunch they pretty much said "let'r rip tater chip".

Totally outfield with this question but you guys all seem to be CRs or at least in the game a long time. What's the "no Motards" thing about? I'm not a Motard guy at all, but genuinely curious why they are not allowed.

bmart

Control Rider
Motards and motard rules have both changed quite a bit over the years. Many folks run them at SuperMoto events instead. Lower top speeds, so tough at a place like Road Atlanta or VIR North. Tighter tracks still allow them with some orgs (EvolveGT at Patriot rings a bell). There are lower key days at SuperMoto only events, like VIR and CMP. (Carlo set the lap record at the CMP karting track a few weeks back on his.) Many of these bikes have also gotten more powerful. I have gotten a run for my money at VIR Patriot by the Husky 701s!

If someone really wants to run one, there are ways, but most orgs don't allow them on big tracks. Best to contact the org before signing up.

Brandon35

Motards and motard rules have both changed quite a bit over the years. Many folks run them at SuperMoto events instead. Lower top speeds, so tough at a place like Road Atlanta or VIR North. Tighter tracks still allow them with some orgs (EvolveGT at Patriot rings a bell). There are lower key days at SuperMoto only events, like VIR and CMP. (Carlo set the lap record at the CMP karting track a few weeks back on his.) Many of these bikes have also gotten more powerful. I have gotten a run for my money at VIR Patriot by the Husky 701s!

If someone really wants to run one, there are ways, but most orgs don't allow them on big tracks. Best to contact the org before signing up.

Good to know, although I'll likely never want to climb on one of those bikes.

I'll stick to the ZX and maybe someday purchase something dated in this century like the 09' or 13' models. Luckily KY has non-ethanol fuel to keep these carbed bikes happy. Living in Cali was a nightmare.

Laszlo

Welcome! (I too had a high side, in a parking lot…going like 20 mph in winter, hit black ice…I guess better at 20mph than faster!). Hopefully you didn’t get hurt; have fun. N2 is very solid and positive environment!

Brandon35

Welcome! (I too had a high side, in a parking lot…going like 20 mph in winter, hit black ice…I guess better at 20mph than faster!). Hopefully you didn’t get hurt; have fun. N2 is very solid and positive environment!

Ah. Mine was dead summer, 5mph, didnt see the gravel at the edge of the parking lot inlet. Buddy of mine watched it and said it was like watching a movie in slo-mo. Flipped over the bike and did a summersault. Hit my helmet on the ground so I had to replace that. Otherwise aside from a bruised ego, broken plastic and needing to weld up a rearset (since been replaced but have a spare now), all was ok.

I have gotten fairly decent at TIG welding aluminum now haha.

Laszlo

That’s a great skill…sad way to learn to TIG! I am OK at MIG and flux…in fact just finished a day of welding various things on a tractor and pull behind brush hog with a little 110v flux core welder. I love this little thing, cost about $240 on Amazon and totally worth it. Next up is learning how to TIG weld!

My high side resulted in minimal damage to bike but broke both bones in left forearm…so now have some titanium plates. Took three months to heal up (mid-March), doing some gymkhana on my own to get back into a good space with riding, and hitting the track hopefully in a month or so (via N2 or NJMP’s club).

Brandon35

Ouch, well I hope you're healing up good.

Biggest surprise about learning to weld - seeing how expensive getting a sizable tank is for the welding gas. Woof.

Haven't seen anything about this from the groups I've been running with (TDW, STT, or Precision). Also haven't seen anything on the N2 web site. Am I missing something?

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Haven't seen anything about this from the groups I've been running with (TDW, STT, or Precision). Also haven't seen anything on the N2 web site. Am I missing something?
Seems to me it used to be somewhere, but I can't find it either. I think it had to do with the 400cc singles, the top speed is under 100mph, which can be problematic. Plus those little singles aren't meant to run that hard, they blow up, lol. The large motard looking bikes, 900cc or whatever, are fine.

This thread from 2017 may help: https://forum.n2td.org/index.php?threads/motard-exclusion.39980/#post-345845

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Not my call, but the R3 isn't a single. Maybe the RC390 can rev higher? If you have one you really want to bring, take it up with the directors.

Not my call, but the R3 isn't a single. Maybe the RC390 can rev higher? If you have one you really want to bring, take it up with the directors.
R3 not a single, but in the same performance category as the RC390. Would love to find contact info for someone who can provide definitive information. Sure looks to me like an unprinted rule made to discriminate based on the style of plastic mounted.

Brandon35

The restriction is posted in the N2 Rider's Manual.

I'm Switzerland in the debate, just mentioning where the restriction is actually listed.