New to Nesba and everything. HELP PLEASE!

HEsp750

Ok, so im a little intimidated about racing on a track but i love racing and i love riding.

Im 18 years old and ive been riding since i was 15 1/2 and had my learners permit. ive done several cross country and ive been to alaska. Ive riden a Dr650 Drz400 Ninja250 GSXR600
Ducati 848 and the street fighter and a BMW F800 GS and a BMW 1200 GS

I currently "own" a GSXR750 and a Ninja 250. I really want to start racing my 250.

but im not sure excatly on how to get started on that.

Please help.
:idea:

geckert

motorcycles :notsure: I would bring the gsxr if I were you.

Also if you want to "Race" look up WERA. NESBA does trackdays which is basically riding on a racetrack and practicing. There are no races.

Troy

Its best to get a feel for the track before pursuing any aspirations of racing. You need to sign up for the free intro and see what you think

dfaldridge

If you are doing this alone with out the help of a sessioned vet. I would read the manual, prepare your bike and come out to the track with an open mind. I wouldn't buy a whole lot of stuff at first. Bike, leathers, over the ankle boots, full gloves and helmet. I would have plenty of water and lunch stuff. Hearing protection, sun screen for your face and back of neck and decent tires on your bike.

Get to know some folks at the track and see what other people are doing and see what works for you and your budget. It takes time in the saddle and in the paddock to figure things out. Don't rush it and enjoy the ride. These things DO NOT come over nite, trust me. I don't care how prepare you think you are. There are things you will change and you don't want to go down a path that you have back up and regroup. Wasted time and money. Just take it slow and learn the tricks. We will all help you through it, cause it's a blast!

rk97

geckert;82663 wrote: I would bring the gsxr if I were you.

I wouldn't... power can get you into a LOT of trouble your first trackday.

undeniably, the GSXR will be faster, and eventually easier to ride, but for a first trackday, it would be rare for any bike (even an EX250) to be the limiting factor. Plus it will make you appreciate the GSXR even more later :)

getting started is 90% about buying riding gear, or making arrangements to rent or borrow it. Suit rental through NESBA is $50, which is a steal IMO - just set it up well in advance.

you're wearing gloves and boots on the street anyway, right?

keep asking questions, and get to the track as early as you can. Things WILL go wrong, but there's always someone around to help. don't stress over it.
I used to be super worried that my bike would fail tech, and it has. at least twice - But i've always had help from control riders or other members, and i've never missed a session for a mechanical issue.

rk97

HEsp750;82603 wrote: Ok, so im a little intimidated about racing on a track but i love racing and i love riding.
NESBA is definitely NOT racing - but it can certainly prepare you to race.

I was in race school last Friday, and some of the people were a ton slower than I expected. You don't want to be one of those guys if you can avoid it. GET fast at trackdays. BE fast(ish) your first race day.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Welcome! Yup, what Troy said. NESBA is trackdays, not racing. Big difference. But, it would be great for you to do trackdays first, learn the ropes, then go racing if you want. A lot of guys started out that way. Trackdays are more structured, there's Control Riders to teach you how to ride the track (many of them have raced, or currently race). Trackdays have passing rules, etc. Once you get a feel for trackriding at a trackday org, if you want to race, you'll have to take a school to get your license. The two main race orgs I know of are WERA and CCS.

If the 250 is the one you're looking to race, I'd bring that to trackdays.