New to NESBA and the track Chester County Pa

johnnysunami

Hello all, just wanted to introduce myself, Johnny...

Been riding for many years now, but never at the track. Hoping that I can find some new local friends who's willing to show me the ropes per say...

My current bike is a 08 Ducati 1098s with basic mods...finally broken in and want to convert into a track bike.

I prolly have lots of questions, but not sure where to start...so i guess ill read up in hopes to find the answers and post as they come to me...

Johnny

Mikey75702

Welcome....

First thing... read the rule book. After that, come ask any questions you want. The people here are generally very helpful.
But i have a question for you..... are you sure you want to put a $20k bike on the track???
Search for Trent1098 on here and read his HUGE write up about his track career. He explains some of the costs running a ducati in this sport. If you do put it on the track, enjoy yourself... its a blast and very addictive.

Hitman954

Welcome!! I dunno that 1098 would be great on the track. It is expensive if you do wreak it, but hell what isn't. Take her to the pasture and let her run. You'll have a blast out there!!

johnnysunami

Mikey75702;182056 wrote: Welcome....

First thing... read the rule book. After that, come ask any questions you want. The people here are generally very helpful.
But i have a question for you..... are you sure you want to put a $20k bike on the track???
Search for Trent1098 on here and read his HUGE write up about his track career. He explains some of the costs running a ducati in this sport. If you do put it on the track, enjoy yourself... its a blast and very addictive.
LOL, yeah my friends say the same thing! I guess to answer your question, yes...thats what the bike was intended for. I just cant stand the idea of a beautiful machine limited to its full potential on the back roads of chester county...besides, there's nothing like the sound of a V-twin at full throttle on the track! Thanks man!

HondaGalToo;182060 wrote:
Welcome! Here's a link to the Riders Manual that Mikey was referring to: http://www.nesba.com/Info/Downloads/manual.pdf

Any other questions, ask away!

What track(s) are you planning on riding?
Well, i'm thinking for starters, Pocono's and Millville, being that they are the closest...eventually work my way down southeast...Thanks for the welcome fella's and the link!

But I do have an open question...so I read the rules books, sign up for my first track day...so I guess the question is, once I arrive to the track day is there a beginners class that I need to sign up for? or Should I just look for a coach and ask for advice? Not sure exactly how the whole learning curve process is handled...

ct1200

Show up early, read the handbook and be ready for tech inspection at 7am.
Getting there early makes your experience so much easier and less stressful, and its better for everyone as a whole too.

Then theres a B group meeting as the As and Is do there 1st sessions.
Theres normally another B meeting at lunch.
But don't be afraid to ask questions.
Tech inspection is the best place to get any answers.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
johnnysunami;182069 wrote:

Well, i'm thinking for starters, Pocono's and Millville, being that they are the closest...eventually work my way down southeast...Thanks for the welcome fella's and the link!

But I do have an open question...so I read the rules books, sign up for my first track day...so I guess the question is, once I arrive to the track day is there a beginners class that I need to sign up for? or Should I just look for a coach and ask for advice? Not sure exactly how the whole learning curve process is handled...
Well, nesba doesn't run at Pocono but trust me, you're not missing anything.

Create an online account (if you haven't already) so you can pay the membership fee, sign up for B group (Beginner) and then register for trackdays (if you purchase credits in blocks of $500, you save 15%, i.e., pay $500, and get $575 worth of credits deposited in your account.

Show up for the day, have your bike and gear (suit, helmet, boots, gloves) ready to go to tech, which is open from 7-8 am. Attend the mandatory Rider's meeting at 8:15. As ct1200 said, right after that there is a mandatory B Rider's Group meeting, where they'll go over a lot of basics. Out on track, you'll follow a control rider (CR) in an orange shirt. Ask them for help throughout the day, they'll show you the line, and give lots of great feedback. Every time the session is over, everyone gathers at pit-in, and if a CR has been following you, they'll talk to you then, before you head back to your pit.

Mikey75702

johnnysunami;182069 wrote: LOL, yeah my friends say the same thing! I guess to answer your question, yes...thats what the bike was intended for. I just cant stand the idea of a beautiful machine limited to its full potential on the back roads of chester county...besides, there's nothing like the sound of a V-twin at full throttle on the track! Thanks man!

I agree about the sound of a Vtwin... I run one myself. But the duc is ridiculously expensive to fix if you wreck.

As far as the trackday goes there is a general riders meeting right after tech, then a b group meeting after that. Both are mandatory. You will meet the b group captain then, after the b meeting introduce yourself and let him know you are new.

arhale09

Welcome to the club! You'll love riding on the track, but like some of the guys have mentioned, you should consider whether you want to track your Duc. No doubt it's a great track weapon, but accidents happen...

Mikey75702;182056 wrote: Welcome....

Mikey, Mikey Mikey....NEVER suppress someone for wanting to track a duc. Those bikes serve no other purpose than to be a track weapons (or look cool riding around town). :loofah:

I've taken some heat getting into 2T's as they arn't always cheap to run, but the bike was born to run like the duc.;)

Welcome Johnny you will enjoy NESBA run track days greatly and a fellow friend and track rider has a Ducati 999 Mono he runs at the track for his bike.

BZ

betarace

A Ducati is a MUST to take in the track. Not tracking it be like married to Bo Derek and just holding hands. Would advise picking up some used or rashed plastics on eBay (or those Chinese ones for $500) and keeping your stickers safe at home.

Mikey75702

Bubba Zanetti;182176 wrote: Mikey, Mikey Mikey....NEVER suppress someone for wanting to track a duc. Those bikes serve no other purpose than to be a track weapons (or look cool riding around town). :loofah:

I've taken some heat getting into 2T's as they arn't always cheap to run, but the bike was born to run like the duc.;)

Welcome Johnny you will enjoy NESBA run track days greatly and a fellow friend and track rider has a Ducati 999 Mono he runs at the track for his bike.

BZ
I agree... the ducati is at home on the racetrack. But as a new guy, i felt he should be informed of the cost. If he feels he can afford to run the duc, then awesome.

dave433

Welcome! You picked the best org to start your learning with. When you get to the track, grab a CR and pick their brains. They will be more then happy to make sure you have the best day possible.

johnnysunami

Wow lol! I must say, this is a lively bunch! Great to see that each of you have an opinion and not afraid to share them with others!

I wasn't really expecting for this welcome to exceed a single page, but from what I can read, all of you (HondaGal, Hitman, ct1200, Arhale, Beta, Bubba, Mikey, Jcurtis, Lemondrop, Dave, Vinny and anyone else I may have missed) have the personality that Im accustomed with on other brand specific forums...So i'd like to thank each of you for your welcome and suggestions and hopefully some day we'll meet up in person on the track...

Had a question for ct1200, just wondering how you like your Firebolt on the track and if you have any other track bikes? I'm a big big fan of Buell's and have had several in my time, XB9sx, 1125R and 1125CR...I always wanted to track the 1125R but never got around to it...I imagine the Firebolt would be quite amazing on the track since it's low end capabilities of that 1200 v-twin...I personaliy cant wait to test and very well possibly purchase the EBR 1190RS...simply awesome.

Hey Beta, a few of my west coast friends have and track the 999S...Is your bike strictly track? Do you follow any of the Duc forums?

But any ways, to answer a lot of the same questions...Yes I am prepared for the worst, should that day come. I've ridden CBR's, ZX10's and R1's...Each bike has there strong points as well as their weakness...But I must say, i fell in love with the R1 back in 09, she was a sweet one.

But to shelter a machine from its true abilities is like "dating Bo Dereck and just holding hands" lol...Youre showing your age man! (funny as it may seem, i know exactly what youre saying man!)...

I'm really glad to have gotten to know each of you and really hope I meet up with ya's some day! Thanks for the welcome!

betarace

johnnysunami;182295 wrote:

Hey Beta, a few of my west coast friends have and track the 999S...Is your bike strictly track? Do you follow any of the Duc forums?
I have a bunch of west coasters with 999R and 1198R etc, my bike is 50% track and 50% street and I have 2 sets of plastics for each use as mentioned. I used to be active on ducati.ms until the 1098 and 848 came out and they board was infested with style squids ("should I get gold anodized brake levers or go with red ones" was a popular discussion)