New to NESBA and Trackdays

sshort

Steve Short
After a good number of years, looking to get on the track for the first time. VIR Jun 2. Looking forward to it along with my buddy Don who's signed up for the same day.

sshort

Steve Short
Thanks, Yes I've been poring over the manual for a while as I don't want to miss something. Using Knoxville as a central point I'd consider Jennings GP as the outer radius so that covers most of the Southeast (Barber, Carolina and Road Atlanta being the most probable). We have a couple others in our club who are either getting involved or should be soon.
One question on VIR, what's the deal on camping? Is there an extra fee, what facilities (ie showers, heads) are available...
I put together a van to haul in and camp out of so just trying to get the lay in advance.
Thanks,
Steve

j-moges

Welcome to the addiction that is trackdays. But June being your first ever with any org, I would like to give you a few "heads up" tips. The manual only tells you so much and it's different when you actually get out on track

Nesba was the most thorough with their tech inspection that I have been to out of the other orgs I have done days with. Probably the least newbie friendly though. I mean that in terms of getting completely new trackday riders familiar with what they need to know on the track, not least helpful, so please don't get too defensive. Besides, I will be doing more days with nesba :D.

Myself and another B group guy I pitted next to (also his first nesba day) talked about differences in getting new riders up to speed with the track.

My first td with nesba was a VIR south over Easter. John (?) made two guys sit out because of passes and seemed furious, I think that was a great thing, showing that rules will be enforced and safety is ultra important. However, there was a meeting at the end of lunch because people were not signaling for pit out early enough or even at all! (Among other concerns) Though in the riders meeting we went over where to signal for pit out, someone new to the track may not know what the CRs and organizers are talking about. Some passes seemed close for a B group at times also and as far as I know nothing was said to the close passing riders. New track riders may get a little thrown by it but since there is no mid corner passing allowed I didn't see too much wrong with it even though some riders will make wild moves in the straights.

Basically myself and the guy I pitted next to thought we would at least get a sighting lap or two behind CRs of the track with a run though the pits to show where to signal. We were not aware there was passing allowed first session and we both lined up where we didn't want to :eek:. Now, I like how we got right out on track and got going though. Too bad it was my first time to that track.

Anyway, some tips if you are new to trackdays and running with nesba.

1) Watch as many videos of the track you are going to ride as you can (My fault for not getting familiar with the track as much as I should have before my day at VIR S. I guess)
2) Probably wait until second call before heading to pit lane for your first session (I wanted to line up midway in the right lane but didn't want to be in the way if the previous session needed to run through the pit. So I lined up farther in the left lane than I wanted lol)
3) Get with a CR early if you want help. CR I asked for help (before first session after lunch) was helping another guy but said he would get with me the next session but stayed with the first guy the rest of the day, I should have gotten with another CR after the first 3 sessions that he didn't get with me, my fault again.
4) Ask questions!!! I would have probably been lost if it was my first trackday. If you feel embarrassed to ask at the riders meeting or beginners meeting get with a CR after. Guys in orange hats/shirts. But by all means ask. I would rather someone ask what they mean by "hand up or leg out" and know, then not and signal at the wrong time or not at all.

Sorry for the lengthy post

sshort

Steve Short
Wow, thanks for the advance information and advice. there's a lot to take in but am so looking forward to the first of what I hope is many events.
Steve

JRA

By all means ask questions. The only stupid question is the one you don't ask then regret it later.

Also, if you would like to ride with a CR but feel you aren't getting the opportunity- for whatever reason- come see me! I will get somebody to ride with you or I'll do it myself. If you ask for help you will get it, that's my guarantee.