New to road racing

cyclox

N2 is not a race org. We are a track day org. Think of track day orgs like trail riding - you just go out with your buddies and have fun. There are no points, no "official" checkered flag that you race to the finish line. Of course there is always shit talking among your good friends, generally about how slow you are, etc, but nothing official. It's generally expected in the track day crowd to distinguish track day riding from racing. It's a very common mistake for new guys to the track to label it "racing"...but all that does is confuse the shit out of the people that actually do races/track days. It's like calling up your friends and asking if you wanna go racing this weekend...when you meant trail riding the Hatfield McCoy trails, not an actual MX/GNCC race.

Having a dirt bike background will help you out tremendously on the track. All of the world's best riders train on dirt bikes during the off season. However, in my experience, those that are good dirt bike riders are generally much more likely to crash their first few track days. I can tell you that riding a sport bike at race pace and riding a dirt bike at race pace is very, very different. If you ride your sport bike like a dirt bike, you will eat shit very quickly. It's extremely hard to convince seasoned dirt bike riders to be humble their first few days on the track, but you really need to be. Many, many times there are people like you that look at the Novice class and think "Novice? I ain't no Novice! I'm advanced!" No...no, you are not. Not in the race track world...not YET, at least. There is no need to try and go 100% right off the bat. Learn the bike, learn the track, and learn about yourself while riding out there. You probably will, however, advance in skill and pace much quicker than those that only have street riding experience.

N2 provides an excellent environment to come out to the track, without the pressure of trying to win (Again, using the trail riding to GNCC analogy). I would strongly recommend coming out to several N2 days, and getting a good feel for what it's like before signing up for your first race. WERA/CCS has much tighter bike restrictions (Safety wiring, belly pan regulations, transponders, etc) than N2. You'll meet a bunch of people at the N2 track days that also race (Myself included), and from there you can pick their brains and learn from others.

This should be prominently featured on the main N2 site.

Racerboy

Know the Toe
Thanks think I understand things a little better I'm very interested in the racing side of things I just wish my "region" wasn't so spread out I live 30 mins from VIR though so that's a plus things are just a lot different then dirtbike racing
if your that close to VIR, you can attend Cornerspeed ran by Aaron Stevenson. his school certificate will allow you to apply for an amateur CCS license. Race a few weekends, finish the races you enter, you'll be an expert in no time!! But standby, lots of fees, bike prep is not as strict as WERA, but CCS is a well ran race org.