Newbie going to NJMP Sunday - ?

rob3664

Hey,
I'll be at NJMP Sunday - my first track day on a bike. I have done a bunch of track days with my car. Went to buy leathers today - too many options, I'll rent until I figure out what I want.

Not looking forward to sticking numbers on my bike. Can I use a plate? Any suggestions?

See you Sunday!

Vitamin_J

First, welcome to the addiction. I am a refugee from the car world as well. Many of us share a similar past and are now set upon the path of track day righteousness!

Buy some inexpensive numbers from a hardware store or from Chris Moon at the track. If your renting your leathers, he will be the guy to see. I'll have some with me if you need them in a pinch. They come off easily so no worries about messing up your street bike.

Remember to take your time and enjoy yourself. No winners on Sunday. Its a fast track so don't rush it. Be sure to read the NESBA riders' manual. Are you doing an intro session or a full day? And be sure to stop by and say hi.

slowpoke

Vitamin_J;74930 wrote: First, welcome to the addiction
+1 - you can always use blue painters tape for numbers or I'll have a few extra in my bag as well. stick to the CRs like glue and they will get you comfortable with the lines, track, and body position. just take your time and you will have a blast but be warned that it starts out relatively cheap and then all of the sudden you're broke.
definitely stop by

Just make ghetto numbers out of blue painters tape like I did for my first track day. I put it directly on the windscreen. Contact Dean from DC Decals on this forum if you want nice vinyl numbers in the future.

+1 for going over the riders manual a few times to make sure you understand the rules and tech inspection points. It would suck to show up excited to ride, only to find out that you didn't pass tech. Also, just take it easy out there and have fun.

Landshark

Control Rider
rob3664;74926 wrote: Hey,
I'll be at NJMP Sunday - my first track day on a bike. I have done a bunch of track days with my car. Went to buy leathers today - too many options, I'll rent until I figure out what I want.

Not looking forward to sticking numbers on my bike. Can I use a plate? Any suggestions?

See you Sunday!
If you tape the lights up with painters tape you can use a black marker and color numbers on the tape.

i62624524_76806_7.jpg

rob3664

Thanks for the info.

I bought some 6" numbers from a cycle store in Edison NJ. I will not attach them until I get there.
I'm riding my 2002 Ducati 998. It has 1100 miles and has mostly been sitting in my garage for 7 years. I was thinking of getting a 600cc bike to do track days. I don't like riding the 998 on the street, I live in NYC and the thing sucks in traffic, runs too hot, uncomfortable riding position for that. I have another bike I ride on the street. But I always wanted to ride the 998 on the track, it handles great, has awesome brakes, and I think it's a pretty forgiving bike, but I do not have much time on other sport bikes to compare it to. I have done a lot of dirt bike riding and also a lot of regular street touring.

I plan on taking it easy, getting a rhythm going, and building some confidence before I try to go fast. The first time I did a track day with my car I got a little careless and blew my engine, $14,000 to fix it - Blah. That was 12 years ago and now, being an old fart (45 and a little wiser) I realize that the best thing about a track day is going home with body, ego, and equipment intact, so you can look forward to the next one without regrets. It also keeps the woman off your back about the risks and $ involved.
Still I'm a little nervous, but that's a good thing.

I ask a lot of questions at the track so sorry in advance if I chew your ears off. I'm bringing a 5 gallon fuel jug, and the bike will be full when I get there, should that be enough? Is there gas available there? How about refreshments? Also do you think I need to bring a tent or canopy? My truck's tailgate opens upwards so I can get out of the sun there.

I tried on a few leathers at the store. I'm 5'7" with a size 44 jacket and 33" waist - short and stocky. All the sleeves were too long, too tight across the chest, and the jackets bunched up behind my neck. I always have these problems with fitment. I'm going to rent then wait to see if I can find something that fits me better. Didn't want to spend all that money without any experience or knowledge about what would be the best option. Those things are HOT though - Sunday will be steamy 88 degrees - we'll be melting!

Looking forward to meeting you guys (and girls?) Sunday! Thanks again!

NoBull

5 gallons and a full tank will be enough.

Bring the canopy if you have it. It'll give you more room to spread out and it allows others to stop over and chat between sessions and be out of the sun. Bring chairs too. And plenty to drink.

You may need a custom suit if you're that hard to fit. It doesn't have to be superexpensive (depends on your definition of expensive, but this is an expensive hobby period so I don't count a grand as expensive) just because it's custom.

Welcome aboard and see you there.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Welcome, rob, have a blast at your first day, you'll be hooked! I feel your pain on suit fitment. There's even less choices for women (at least when I was looking years ago) so I went custom and never regretted it. Lots of good custom options. I have Vanson, but I'd also look at Barnacle Bill, Z-Leathers, and Syed, to name a few. Get one that's fully perforated, it helps a ton, as does wearing UnderArmour (or generic) underneath...I wear long sleeves and pants even on the hottest days and it allows me to get out of the suit, LOL.

Agree with NoBull, full tank + 5 gals shoud be fine for one day. There is gas for sale, but it's outrageously expensive. Also bring a few basic tools, should you need to adjust anything, and make sure your tires are in good shape.

There is a food stand, but I always prefer to bring stuff for lunch...snacks, fruit, sandwich. And LOTS to drink.

Steve

+1 on what the others advised. I'll have an extra set of leathers, size 44 that might do if you need it. Might not be perfect, but better than nothing.

Vitamin_J

Steve, I have a friend that is coming up to do the Yamaha demo ride. He was going to borrow my leathers and forgo my demo because we were sharing the set. Are you willing to loan it for an hour for a NOOB doing the demos? He is pretty spot on a 44. Beer after the day is on me!

Actually I forgot about boots and gloves. All he has is a helmet. Whoops, sorry.

scotty88

Hi Rob did my first track day a month ago it was great i was nervous also first session out wanted to puke in my helmet was not smooth on throttle and brakes at all did everything wrong the control riders saw this and towed my around most of the time they will show you the line on the track do not get caught up trying to keep up with anyone they might be doing it wrong ,second time out was alot smoother tell the control riders that its your first time , stop on pit lane talk to them after each session , if you are not happy with anything say something then while they can fix it , have fun listen , i was the passing dummy all day but it did not matter lol, i was out on a race track , doing it ,maybe the others out there did not think so , but i did, if you get tired take a session off , when you get tired you make mistakes,be sure you go to the meeting at lunch it will help alot you are going to have a blast good luck, HAVE FUN , Scotty

machdw69

Hey Rob,

just a quick tip that nobody has mentioned yet and this is absolutely critical. your tire pressure must be dropped from street riding pressure to track riding pressures. i wish someone would have told me this before i crashed on my first day. depending on your tires you will probably drop to around 30 psi. also, definitely bring lots to drink. if you run out, the vending machines will rape you $4 for a drink. good luck and see ya there on sunday.

Steve

Steve, I have a friend that is coming up to do the Yamaha demo ride. He was going to borrow my leathers and forgo my demo because we were sharing the set. Are you willing to loan it for an hour for a NOOB doing the demos? He is pretty spot on a 44. Beer after the day is on me!
I heard beer, what size boots and gloves? I have them too, but I don't know if you'll see this..

Bottlecap75

YES!!! Tire Pressure Tire Pressure Tire Pressure!!! Did my first track-day this spring and almost dumped it coming out of T7 on like the fourth lap. Granted, it was pouring rain, but after I adjusted my tires to Moon's suggestion, things got alot better. Lower is not always better, however. I was down to 26 psi (cold) in the rear, and bumped up to 32-- It made a world of difference. I know that goes against everything I ever thought I knew about tires....
See You Sunday!!!!!