Newer than new

Muttley

Hello all,

First heard of NESBA from the mechanic at Coleman's (Woodbridge, VA) that looked over my bike before the upcoming 8/26 Summit Point day - I was trying to figure out how to get out there w/out having to ride it for the 160miles round-trip, and he mentioned the NESBA forums. So, here I am!

Not sure if I'll join - IF I make it out to Summit Point this will be my first time ever on the track. I imagine I'll like it enough to get hooked, but not sure - I always saw myself on the track in a car, but never thought I could be out there on a motorcycle!

I've got a 2000 Aprilia RSV Mille. I know, old... I've still got a lot to coordinate: need to replace the master clutch cylinder (no play in clutch, fluid dark, probably don't want to go on the track like that) and get new tires. I was told I could rent leathers but haven't heard back from the person I was told to email (don't want to buy a whole new set and find out I can't handle bike-racing...?), and I've got an '09 Bullitt, so I'm still trying to figure out a transport solution that won't break the bank.

But, if I can get all of that figured out, I'll maybe see some of you out there this Monday!

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Welcome! Definitely get the bike maintenance issues sorted out before hand. Can't help with the leather rental, hopefully someone will get back to you. As far as transportation, there is a ride share area on the forum, perhaps post up in there that you're looking for a ride. Maybe someone will have room.

Does your car have a hitch? Lots of folks started out renting a U-Haul trailer.

Muttley

Nope, it's a 2009 Mustang w/no hitch, and apparently has a tow limit of 1000lbs. I'm told trailers are around 500lbs and my bike is something like 490ish with a full tank, so I'd be at max tow-weight on a Mustang. I imagine that's probably not a great idea...!

CBRtist

Welcome! Not much to add, but another suggestion could be if you have a friend who rides who would like to try it out also. Other than that, like Judy said, check out ride share!

Spork

Muttley;285574 wrote: Nope, it's a 2009 Mustang w/no hitch, and apparently has a tow limit of 1000lbs. I'm told trailers are around 500lbs and my bike is something like 490ish with a full tank, so I'd be at max tow-weight on a Mustang. I imagine that's probably not a great idea...!
You should be fine towing a light trailer with a mustang , My small trailer weighs about 350lbs , you'll be fine .
Details on Mustang ?
I have a 2013 GT Premium .

Welcome , and see you at summit .

DUG

Niiccceeee...

First off, get out on the track, soon as possible... one of the best things youll ever do.

2- 2000 Mille isnt that old. Besides, we like seeing older bikes out there. The single most important thing that has increased lap times the last 10 years is tires, and those are easy to swap.

3- Guy at Vir in June had 2 liter bikes behind a Green Bullit. Think I have a picture of it. Guy said he could barely tell its there. Just dont jam on the brakes and all will be well.

4- Shagmoto has some leathers that he brings. Hes the tire service guy. looks like a very mechanically inclined Carrot-Top. Give him a call. Do a forum search and youll find his number.

Blipstein

Spork;285620 wrote: You should be fine towing a light trailer with a mustang , My small trailer weighs about 350lbs , you'll be fine .
Details on Mustang ?
I have a 2013 GT Premium .

Welcome , and see you at summit .
Agreed. My 97 Honda Civic with 211k did it with no problem for years. Bolt a hitch on that baby and roll. Done!

Muttley

The Mustang is a 2009 Bullitt. It was an optional trim package on the GT's. I can go into details on it if you want - basically it's an homage to the old '69 fastback from the movie. Shaved down, very limited external badging/accessories, and it sounds like the '69 from the movie. Good to hear someone was able to tow behind theirs... I'd def love to see that pic if you have it - for amusement factor if anything. I'll have to take a look at it after this Monday, assuming I become the track-addict everyone expects!

I'm getting new tires and master/slave clutch cylinders done right now - pick it up tomm morning. Should be good to go after that. I'll need to hit home depot for some painter's/other tape and a 5-gal gas can, then it's just sit and anxiously wait for Monday morning. Someone offered to trailer the bike on their way over from Annapolis, so I'm all good to go.

Oh... I just realized I forgot to email back the request form for renting leathers from someone at Markbilt Racing... /facedesk Something I'll have to work tomorrow morning. Guess I'll wait to take the tags off the gloves I just bought until I figure out if I'm even going to get to use them.

Shagmoto, huh?

RADAR Magnet

Welcome to NESBA and the addiction! I'll join others in encouraging you to get that bike on the track but don't ride it to/from the track; way too many potential negatives to justify that. Post in the rideshare forum or find a way to hook up a small trailer; feel free to pit with me if you make it out; you'll want some shade and a fan if it's as warm as forecasted to be. I'm in a silver Explorer with a black 6x12 trailer; #66 black/white/red CBR and a tan canopy.

MrK

Muttley;285933 wrote: The Mustang is a 2009 Bullitt. It was an optional trim package on the GT's. I can go into details on it if you want - basically it's an homage to the old '69 fastback from the movie. Shaved down, very limited external badging/accessories, and it sounds like the '69 from the movie. Good to hear someone was able to tow behind theirs... I'd def love to see that pic if you have it - for amusement factor if anything. I'll have to take a look at it after this Monday, assuming I become the track-addict everyone expects!

I'm getting new tires and master/slave clutch cylinders done right now - pick it up tomm morning. Should be good to go after that. I'll need to hit home depot for some painter's/other tape and a 5-gal gas can, then it's just sit and anxiously wait for Monday morning. Someone offered to trailer the bike on their way over from Annapolis, so I'm all good to go.

Oh... I just realized I forgot to email back the request form for renting leathers from someone at Markbilt Racing... /facedesk Something I'll have to work tomorrow morning. Guess I'll wait to take the tags off the gloves I just bought until I figure out if I'm even going to get to use them.

Shagmoto, huh?
You are committed, you just dont know it yet. Leathers will not be a problem unless you are huge.
First things first, come do the track day. After that, its off to get a trailer hitch for your mustang. Simple math time, mustang has 4 seats meaning to was designed to be able to transport 4 adults ( I am aware of the backseat size). Lets say 200x4 is 800. Bike 450, you ? , Trailer 350-400. I think you would be just find. I have seen corvettes towing bikes as well as little Civics. But after monday you will not need any convincing , as I have recently learned, this is an addiction.

DUG

Anything will tow a bike... Cant find the Bullitt pic but here is one for you to ponder. Guy zipped in and zipped out, two hours each way. Saw another guy pulling a CBR behind a Miata earlier this year too.

Now, I should be there Monday as well, Blue Toyota Tacoma with Kendon trailer, blue canopy. Red CBR1000, #91. Feel free to pit nearby or see me if you have any questions.

And about Shagmoto, His name is Colin. He and Mark from Markbilt Racing usually do tires (Mark does suspension too) at Nesba days.

Muttley

Thankfully, b1dapice has graciously offered to trailer my bike up and back to Monday's event. I'm not sure I entirely get the concept of pitting (other than it's just a giant parking spot?), but I'm sure we'll try to make our way around to meet people in between my heats. I received contact that I can still get leathers from Markbilt Racing that morning, so as long as I pass tech I should be good to go! Definitely looking forward to it - sleeping this weekend has been near impossible!