News on Fred Duncan

ceptorman

I read on another forum that Fred Duncan was very sick with cancer and in the hospital in Aurora Illinois. I don't have any details. I met Fred a few times at Putnam, and he was always smiling and laughing, he ran a great show. Best of luck Fred, hope for a complete recovery

Ruhe52

Man that sucks Fred always been a very helpful friendly dude.
Many of you know Fred far better but every time he came down South he was great to be around. Many looked up to him, many learned from him, even more called him friend.

“I don't want my life to be defined by what is etched on a tombstone. I want it to be defined in what is etched in the lives and hearts of those I've touched.”
― Steve Maraboli

Fred you touched a lot of lives and brought many to this sport we all love. Peace to you and your family .

j_fuggin_t

Fred was diagnosed with stage 4 melanoma, typically treatable, but it has spread through his body quite rapidly, it's in his spine, lymph nodes, liver and made its way to bone as well. He hasn't been given a time table but told it's not too long.

Ruhe is correct, that man has changed so many lives in our sport and just made it better knowing him. He a genuine friend to anyone and a stranger is no different. I remember my intro day down at Putnam he got me all set up and said "wanna just pay for the day now?" And I said let me think on it I should be good. "Ok - with a sneering grin". From then on man just one of the best friends a man could have. The track community will eventually be losing a great one..

j_fuggin_t

as of right now, he's at mercy in aurora, #308.. its actually quite amusing when you get to the desk and tell them the room, they giggle because he has had SOOOOO many ppl in. Company is keeping him happy as a man can be so if you get time head up. There is talk of him moving with hospice care to his brothers IF the breathing gets better.

stkr

I went by to see him yesterday, and it was like a CR gathering. Me, Steve Pallela, Brian Blume, Matt Granzow, and Ron Hix. The room was a bit crowded and he also had two of his sisters, and a couple of friends in the room as well. I heard that they ended up moving him 3 times to bigger rooms to accomodate the visitors.

Fred was a huge part of the Midwest region, and treated everyone like they were his own family. I've worked with him since I started in the B-group back in 2005, and was truly honored when Fred belived in me enough to let me take on the honor of becoming a CR. Of course, it was on my first day of CRing at Road America that he told me my old '98 Gixxer 600 was slow as sh!t, and I should think of upgrading - LOL! It was pretty embarassing when the B-group is walking away on the long straights ;) .

When I crashed in 2011, I was laying in the grass at the edge of the track at Blackhawk Farms, in pain and hardly breathing, but once I saw Fred and Tom leaning over me, I knew everything was going to be okay, because Fred/Tom would make sure of it.

Thanks for all the good times Fred! You will be greatly missed :(

nodakgus

One of the best.

I did not know Fred personally except for incidental contact I had with him at track days that he ran (mostly at Putnam), He always had a smile and twinkle in his eye that immediately set people at ease. He was a born leader because of his charismatic personality.

I am deeply saddened by this news and wish Fred the best with his remaining days.

Steve

ceptorman

stkr;293876 wrote: I went by to see him yesterday, and it was like a CR gathering. Me, Steve Pallela, Brian Blume, Matt Granzow, and Ron Hix. The room was a bit crowded and he also had two of his sisters, and a couple of friends in the room as well. I heard that they ended up moving him 3 times to bigger rooms to accomodate the visitors.

Fred was a huge part of the Midwest region, and treated everyone like they were his own family. I've worked with him since I started in the B-group back in 2005, and was truly honored when Fred belived in me enough to let me take on the honor of becoming a CR. Of course, it was on my first day of CRing at Road America that he told me my old '98 Gixxer 600 was slow as sh!t, and I should think of upgrading - LOL! It was pretty embarassing when the B-group is walking away on the long straights ;) .

When I crashed in 2011, I was laying in the grass at the edge of the track at Blackhawk Farms, in pain and hardly breathing, but once I saw Fred and Tom leaning over me, I knew everything was going to be okay, because Fred/Tom would make sure of it.

Thanks for all the good times Fred! You will be greatly missed :(
The good ole days of the Nesba midwest group:D

stkr

Yep, even after 2 years of not having NESBA around here, the Midwest Family is still close and cares for each other. Fred has had a steady stream of visitors since we found out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tofstfouru

This is very saddening news and my thoughts and prayers are with Fred and his family during this struggle. I will never forget Fred announcing.... "Attention in the paddock attention in the paddock this is Fred riders meeting is in _ minutes..." I think someone should go to the hospital and get on the PA and give him a good hooorah for all he has done in this sport. I think everyone respected and appreciated his help and guidance. Sadly the midwest is gone in NESBA's eye but the people are what made the Midwest and they can't take that away. It appears from the amount of people that have visited him that the Midwest Family is still strong!

Relic

nodakgus;293886 wrote: He always had a smile and twinkle in his eye that immediately set people at ease. He was a born leader because of his charismatic personality.

I am deeply saddened by this news and wish Fred the best with his remaining days.

Steve
I couldn't agree more, Steve. This is very sad news and I was shocked to come across this thread. I recently re-connected with Fred at a track day in Putnam. He came up behind me on day 2, during the riders meeting, and said that he tried all day on day 1 to pass me but couldn't. His way of encouraging me and letting me know that I'd come a long way since my NESBA Beginner days. I really enjoyed the way he conducted the NESBA riders' meetings, back when the Midwest region was alive and thriving with great folks. Never talked down to anyone, but got through the meeting with humor and pearls of wisdom. His main piece of advice to us? Get another job or a second mortgage because this thing becomes pretty expensive. Peace be with him and his family. I will miss him.

Dutch

Very sad to hear this news. Fred is truly one of the good guys. Back in the old days he put together this group buy on safety wire pliers. I still have those things and think about him each time I reach for them. Weird how such a little thing leaves an impression but it's a small reminder of how he goes out of his way to help fellow riders and members. Part of the bigger picture of who he is I guess. There were a few times when we were both directors that we found ourselves on opposite sides of a "discussion" lol. Even when we disagreed I still walked away with a respect for the man and his opinions. He earned the right to have them through his actions and dedication to this club and this sport. May the road rise up to meet you Fred and may you find peace in the remainder of your journey.