Ninja 250s on the Track

JayhawkInDC

Is it worth my time to consider getting a Ninja 250 for the track? It seems like a fun bike, but will I be able to use when I go out to the tracks? I would still have my 750, but the idea of a lightweight bike that requires me to be on my game in the corners seems fun to me.

Let me know what you think...

rk97

I'm curious what the consensus will be on this as well. I've never seen a 250 (4-stroke) in "I" group.

I would have to think the primary obstacles will be suspension and tires. I don't think you can get good rubber that small, and the best you can do in the forks is install emulators. No idea if there's an aftermarket shock that will work...

JeremyGSU

I just did a Jennings track day recently and some guy had a race prepped 250 that was hard to keep up with on my 600. He was beating me in the corners (of course he was a better rider and had full slicks) whereas I'm on street tires and I'm less experienced. Either way, I was running around 1:30 even lap times and the only way I kept up with him each lap was catching him on the back straight.

I think on a course with longer straights such as Road Atlanta or Summit the 250 wouldn't be much fun.

JayhawkInDC

I agree, and certainly don't have the intention of taking something like this to a place like Road America. I would however use it at a place like Summit Jefferson.

Any CRs/Directors have any input on this? I would hate to get one and not be able to use it.

Slowninja

Maybe go with a SV650, still a light weight bike and has about twice the power. I believe there are a few guys in Advanced with these bikes. I think there are about 3-4 of them for sale on here too.

I do think it would be fun to wring one out on the track, it might get old being blown past on the straights though.

jfeagin

I've seen a few different riders using the Ninja 250's on smaller tracks like JC. With the race mods that are available, I understand the top speed can be comfortably over 100mph. Don't know what's out there for suspension, but a complete new carb can be had, plus filter, pipe, bodywork, and tires. At least the last couple of years, the wheels have been 17-inch.

Anyway, I think it'd be fun to run one around anywhere you don't have really long straights.

pajixxer

Brad Burns
Control Rider
I almost did some serious @ss packing last year at beaver run. Some guy was on an old 250 in and "I" group, it wasn't with nesba though. The first couple times seeing him in the straights it was hard to realize how slow he was actually going until you blew past him. I personally did not like it and I know a lot of other guys wanted him off the track. He couldn't of been doing more then 100 in the front straight

Slowninja

Maybe a better option would be a 250 gp style bike? I guess a good question would be: why are you looking to downsize so drastically?

sheepofblue

pajixxer;105750 wrote: I almost did some serious @ss packing last year at beaver run. Some guy was on an old 250 in and "I" group, it wasn't with nesba though. The first couple times seeing him in the straights it was hard to realize how slow he was actually going until you blew past him. I personally did not like it and I know a lot of other guys wanted him off the track. He couldn't of been doing more then 100 in the front straight
I thought of getting one to race but have not since it would be worthless for trackdays IMO. The closing speed and the park and shooters would make it frustrating and dangerous.

JeremyGSU

pajixxer;105750 wrote: I almost did some serious @ss packing last year at beaver run. Some guy was on an old 250 in and "I" group, it wasn't with nesba though. The first couple times seeing him in the straights it was hard to realize how slow he was actually going until you blew past him. I personally did not like it and I know a lot of other guys wanted him off the track. He couldn't of been doing more then 100 in the front straight
I understand what you're saying but this can happen with any bike in beginner group. I remember going 135mph (real speed) on the back straight at Road Atlanta and blowing by some dude on a 600 going like 60mph. I passed him a number of times each session like that. Scared me a good bit with the speed difference. I just kept thinking I hope he doesn't drift in my lane or I'm done.

dpullen

Lynda loves her 250, and I'm looking forward to taking it out in :a: a few times. Personally, I think it will make you a better rider a lot faster than a 600 or 1000 will. Plus, the fun factor is hard to beat!

geckert

I would buy a 250 if I found one cheap enough in my area to fix up. I want it for the same reasons as the OP just something fun to throw around the track. Ive had my brothers 05 ninja up to 110 indicated, almost redlining 6th LOL....

bodell

I did a Frank Kinsey day at roebling this past MLK day. There was a guy with a prepped 09 ninja 250 out in the pack. I cant comment on cornerspeeds but I am pretty sure that we were sucking the paint off that thing passing it on the front stretch. The rider was a NESBA I grouper like myself. Mabye he will chime in on this one. Seemed like a cool guy, I just cant remember his name....

Wink

I used to have a Ninja 250, and Hix and I beat the crap out of that thing running it through its paces. Personally, at I pace or better, I would recommend STRONGLY against getting one. When it came into the pits, it was so overworked that it was spitting oil out the top through the air box, which leaked onto the ground. Took it in for service and NOTHING was wrong with it. It was just overworked.

If you want corner speed Darrell, get an SV, or if you want a 250, get a real 250 like an Aprilia Cup bike, like mine, or a REAL 250 like a TZ. Now those are fun to ride. Based on the way that you ride, pass on the Ninja. Just my .02.

sasrocks

I would agree w Wink.

While you might be able to turn a decent overall lap time, the difference in speed on the straights would be very dangerous. For track days, definitely not. The top speed is about 100mph.

Now for racing, in a class with similar bikes, they are tons of fun I am told. Am going to find out in person in about 3 weeks.

If you are looking for more corner speed, get rid of that tank you are driving and upgrade to a modern 600. But you knew that already. :D