NJMP in the rain

ktuso27

I did a trackday at NJMP on mar 29th in the rain. Morning session was total wet then at lunch the sun came out and we had basically dry track except 1/2 - 3/4 inch deep puddles at the end of the straight, at the entry of the 2nd chicane and right before the first left hander I think T7n or so. I lowsided the first session after lunch. Rolled through the puddle right before my turn in point and piched the bike on my knee like I did the lap before and lost grip immediately and lowsided into the mud. Luckily I was able to retech and get back out there. By the end of the day the track was dry and fast again. Just got done fixing the bike and im signed up to do thunderbolt again Apr 10th. Now therye calling for rain again!! Im like WTF can I get some dry track. Oh well Im going to be out there rain or shine but not too psyched about doing riding it again in the wet. Watch for those trouble spots in the wet. We had alot of get offs all in those same spots.

Jay336

Interesting you say rain. Others are calling for 65 and sunny. Prepare 4 worst, hope 4 the best...

TwoTyres

If the track is basically dry except for a few puddles, couldn't someone go out and sweep the puddles away so it drys. especially if its on the racing line.

I prefer dry track days but the couple i have done in the wet were definitely a great learning experience. I never knew i could go that fast in the rain. My very first TD was in the rain last year.

toptaz1000rr

Bifferone;45251 wrote: Rain Slicks? or Rain Tires?

huh ... good question .. i have heard them refered to both ways... rain tires/rain slicks.. not really sure which one is 'right'... buy you know what i mean lol :)

RCM78

Both tracks have drainage issues. Water runs from the outside to the inside preventing the track from drying once the rain stops. Theres also a significant amount of standing water on these tracks when it is raining.

Grip is good as long as it's completely wet or dry but the difference in traction going from wet to dry is pretty drastic.

The worst part is where the water runs across the track. Braking zone for turn one, Turn in for turn three and seven, and the exit of the long carasel, forget the turn #.

From what I saw a dry line does not form on this track.

Emerson

BobbleHeadMoto
Control Rider
ATP/3C
Diablo Wet
img_DiabloWet.jpg

Diablo Rain
img_Diablo_Rain.jpg

rk97

Jay336;45197 wrote: Interesting you say rain. Others are calling for 65 and sunny. Prepare 4 worst, hope 4 the best...
The 10-day forecast has changed drastically in the last 48 hours.

at one point, I saw "60% chance of rain" for all three days. the next day, it was 30% on friday, 10% Saturday, and 0% Sunday.

This morning, it's different again. The trend is that the wet weather is moving to earlier than previously forecast.

NJMP has to be aware of the drainage issues, and I'd like to think they'll work to correct them this season. Until then, all you can do is adapt (or if you've got $$, Emerson's solution works too!)

nrcooled

I ran that weekend also and the mornings on both days sucked ass. I went down in the second session on Saturday at tip in for T6. Lost the front and the rear at the same time (according to the video that I have of it).

Started to lean the bike and, BAM, I was down. Slowed down quite a bit after that but once we got the dry line I was hauling ass again :) I feel like I didn't take full advantage of the rain since it was my first wet TD.

Next time I will work with a CR to find the best line around the track and work strictly on lines instead of being "tripped out" about not going down.

BTW - I was running Pilot Powers and they had pretty decent grip.

ktuso27

looks like its gonna be wet again this weekend. Should be a ton of fun. The worst time is definately when the track starts to dry and theres 1/2 inch puddles across the dry track that cause little slides when you roll through them. i guess you need a few rotations of the tires to dry them before you pitch the bike over or else you loose grip instantly like I did and your down. I didnt feel any slides like I had all morning on the wet just like nrcooled said bam down with no warning. It must have been the front (I would have time to feel a rear slide). See ya all out there.

lemondrop

Professional Asphalt Surfer
why....why...why do you jinx us so!?!?!?!?!?! first it was chance of rain on saturday....now damn near 50-60% chance.....looks like I will be taking an extra set of rims up

Burnall4

lemondrop;45620 wrote: why....why...why do you jinx us so!?!?!?!?!?! first it was chance of rain on saturday....now damn near 50-60% chance.....looks like I will be taking an extra set of rims up
Looks Like I will be sitting around most the day on Saturday :argh:, I don't have rain tires, yet:banghead:

Freaking weather, where is global warming when you need it the most :notsure:

nrcooled

Burnall4;45677 wrote: Looks Like I will be sitting around most the day on Saturday :argh:, I don't have rain tires, yet:banghead:

Freaking weather, where is global warming when you need it the most :notsure:
Just run street rubber...and take it down a couple notches. No need to miss out on some track time.

rk97

I can see sitting out the uber-cold morning sessions, but unless you're real short on gas, there's no reason to sulk instead of ride.

DCIII's, Pilot Powers; really anything that doesn't have a 'naked' edge (supercorsas for example) should be fine in the rain.

I'm the first to admit it's not ideal riding, but treat it as an excuse to slow down and work on lines, brake markers, or whatever.

anyone can benefit from rains, but I think anyone below "A" pace probably benefits more from getting used to sliding around a little.

"every day is a good day - just to varying degrees." I think that applies ten-fold at the track.

Burnall4

nrcooled;45681 wrote: Just run street rubber...and take it down a couple notches. No need to miss out on some track time.

Yeah I will run a couple of sessions I know but I am not to thrilled about riding in the rain, we will see how it goes, and taking it down a couple of notches if I do that I will be going so slow I might go backwards :second: