NJMP-May 24

Lombardo Joe

Feb 27, 2010
Thanks Bubba. I hope to have one one day as well... However, at 21 with no credit and already paying off my bike... It may be a while, haha!

And besides... This first trackday got me a little hooked. I may have to shoot up again soon, regardless of the risk. If it dumps, it dumps. I'll just ease into it and learn.

Lombardo Joe

Feb 27, 2010
And by the way, for anyone who has never done a trackday and maybe doesn't exactly work out their legs too much... Is anyone else sore as hell in the quadricep area?

venos31

May 15, 2010
My quads was a bit sore from may 24th, decided to go back to the gym again..LOL

99 suzuki 600

ninjamansc

THE Comstock
Control Rider
Jul 31, 2008
Pottstown, PA
Lombardo Joe;129903 wrote:
And besides... This first trackday got me a little hooked. I may have to shoot up again soon, regardless of the risk. If it dumps, it dumps. I'll just ease into it and learn.
That is the proper attitude to have. Focus on technique and the speed will come. The large majority of crashes at track days are due to the rider doing something wrong for the situation. Granted, there are unavoidable crashes. If you crash, it's not because your rebound was 2 clicks off or your tires don't have enough grip.

I started track days on a spanky new bike. Went from B group noob to A group with the same bike. On street tires. Without crashing. Didn't even run off the track once. Sure I didn't want to wad it up, but I was (and still am) prepared if it happens. Being on a bike I didn't want to wreck forced me to be smooth and sneak up on speed. No matter what bike you crash, it's still going to cost money to fix. Regardless if it's new or not.

As for passing, have FUN with it. When I was getting fast in B, I'd line up at the very back just to see how many people I could get around. In I group, I always lined up at the back. As I got faster, the number of passes in a session went up. Passing people is fun. Track days should be fun. Who cares what group you're in or how fast you are? It's about skill improvement. When you're ready, the bump will find you.

If you're frustrated because you don't think the CR's are paying enough attention to you, realize that everyone else in the group wants the same, and they work really hard to get a look at everyone. If you have questions or want tips, find someone with an 'A' sticker and ask questions. We all started in B. I am ALWAYS willing to lend advice when someone asks.

Have fun and be safe. That's all I have to say about that.

NoBull

Jul 11, 2008
Lombardo Joe;129914 wrote: And by the way, for anyone who has never done a trackday and maybe doesn't exactly work out their legs too much... Is anyone else sore as hell in the quadricep area?
When I was at Tbolt in April the long kink leading up to the decreasing radius was KILLING my right quad and I do work them out. For me the trick was to pull my knee in and push on the inside peg to get the weight off the quad and onto the calf. Worked for me. YMMV.

Irish01

Jul 11, 2008
ninjamansc;129920 wrote: That is the proper attitude to have. Focus on technique and the speed will come. The large majority of crashes at track days are due to the rider doing something wrong for the situation. Granted, there are unavoidable crashes. If you crash, it's not because your rebound was 2 clicks off or your tires don't have enough grip.

I started track days on a spanky new bike. Went from B group noob to A group with the same bike. On street tires. Without crashing. Didn't even run off the track once. Sure I didn't want to wad it up, but I was (and still am) prepared if it happens. Being on a bike I didn't want to wreck forced me to be smooth and sneak up on speed. No matter what bike you crash, it's still going to cost money to fix. Regardless if it's new or not.

As for passing, have FUN with it. When I was getting fast in B, I'd line up at the very back just to see how many people I could get around. In I group, I always lined up at the back. As I got faster, the number of passes in a session went up. Passing people is fun. Track days should be fun. Who cares what group you're in or how fast you are? It's about skill improvement. When you're ready, the bump will find you.

If you're frustrated because you don't think the CR's are paying enough attention to you, realize that everyone else in the group wants the same, and they work really hard to get a look at everyone. If you have questions or want tips, find someone with an 'A' sticker and ask questions. We all started in B. I am ALWAYS willing to lend advice when someone asks.

Have fun and be safe. That's all I have to say about that.
Excellent assessment :agree:

Irish01

Jul 11, 2008
I obviously don't post much on this Forum (4 total posts, I think ) but a buddy of mine got me interested again. I am no expert by any means but have been riding for MANY years and all I have to say is that the CR's at this particular event were very much on the ball and did a pretty damn good job. If you want to get more attention then ask for it, they can't focus on everyone all of the time and need to know who is more interested than others.

Passing, it'll come to you and you'll know it. That pit in your stomach is there for a reason, when you feel it, don't do it. That goes for everything on the track!

Cramping, part of the sport it only gets worse! Just kidding, stretch, stretch stretch before each session and it will help big time.

Just my 2 cents

Bubba Zanetti

Jul 14, 2008
Lombardo Joe;129914 wrote: And by the way, for anyone who has never done a trackday and maybe doesn't exactly work out their legs too much... Is anyone else sore as hell in the quadricep area?
Best advice I ever received from a CR? "Ride a bicycle or get an exercise bike".

I picked up a nice exercise bike for 14 bucks, yup...14 bucks at a yard sale. That machine has been torturing me since November 2009 and I did CSS Level One on May 14 and NJMP-Lightning on May 15. By the end of the day Saturday I was mentally exhausted (if you were their I was the rolling road block in the last sessions) but physically I was able to ride. I was a bit sore the following day but nothing like I used to be in the past.

It also helped me loose 12 lbs., whcih doesn't seem like much, but when moving around and hanging off the VFR this has also helped. And as a bonus I look better naked :rtfm:

BZ

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Jul 11, 2008
NJ
Bubba Zanetti;130233 wrote: Best advice I ever received from a CR? "Ride a bicycle or get an exercise bike".

I picked up a nice exercise bike for 14 bucks, yup...14 bucks at a yard sale. That machine has been torturing me since November 2009 and I did CSS Level One on May 14 and NJMP-Lightning on May 15. By the end of the day Saturday I was mentally exhausted (if you were their I was the rolling road block in the last sessions) but physically I was able to ride. I was a bit sore the following day but nothing like I used to be in the past.

It also helped me loose 12 lbs., whcih doesn't seem like much, but when moving around and hanging off the VFR this has also helped. And as a bonus I look better naked :rtfm:

BZ
LOL at the naked comment!

Seriously, exercising helps. I've been lifting and doing cardio for something like 20 years, long before I even started doing trackdays. The first few days of the season, my quads, calves, and inner thighs are a bit sore, as it's using different muscles, but then I'm good to go for the season. I can ride a 3 day event, no problem. I still haven't found an exercise that specifically works the leg muscles in the same way that riding does, but overall fitness and strength helps a ton!

Bubba Zanetti

Jul 14, 2008
Judy:

I almost wrote something refrencing Christain Bale in front of the mirror in the movie "American Psycho:, but that imagery may be too much for my fellow Nesbians this early in the morning LOL!

BZ

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Jul 11, 2008
NJ
bubba zanetti;130237 wrote: judy:

I almost wrote something refrencing christain bale in front of the mirror in the movie "american psycho:, but that imagery may be too much for my fellow nesbians this early in the morning lol!

Bz
lol!!!!

kubricky

Control Rider
Director
Jul 12, 2008
Cripes Nelson...I mean seriously. Now you have to tell the bottle story or I will!

The B group is really about nailing the basics, making them involuntary motions, building muscle memory. things like foot position, looking through the turn, maintaining throttle it is also the place where we develop and understanding of what the apex of the corner is, learn to develop brake markers and reference points for braking turn in and exit. Finally, I think one of the most important things to learn in the B group is situational awareness.

There are many elements to SA -- from not looking two feet in front you but rather down the straight or through the corner to decrease the perception of speed and increase reaction time to simply realizing that a rider in front of you is slower and adjusting your speed while the bike is straight up and down so that you are not passing them or braking hard in a corner to avoid them. It is this skill that allows us to best understand the traffic, the disparity in speed within the group, and the track layout and marry those things so that we be smooth and consistent and ride within the rules.

schreib

Sep 19, 2009
Hey kubricky! Thanks for letting us first timers know what was up on Monday. I sure learned a lot and i'm all signed up for my second day on June 13th at Jefferson. This is too much fun :D

Matt A

Feb 23, 2009
Cr props !!!!!

Irish01;130169 wrote: I obviously don't post much on this Forum (4 total posts, I think ) but a buddy of mine got me interested again. I am no expert by any means but have been riding for MANY years and all I have to say is that the CR's at this particular event were very much on the ball and did a pretty damn good job. If you want to get more attention then ask for it, they can't focus on everyone all of the time and need to know who is more interested than others.

Passing, it'll come to you and you'll know it. That pit in your stomach is there for a reason, when you feel it, don't do it. That goes for everything on the track!

Cramping, part of the sport it only gets worse! Just kidding, stretch, stretch stretch before each session and it will help big time.

Just my 2 cents

Yeah.....I can't agree with you more ! The CR's do REALLY well considering the fact that there were 52
(FIFTY-TWO!!!) B-Riders in our first session that morning !!!!!! YIKES !:banghead: I am not complaining here...let me make that clear ! I'm just sayin'....could you imagine being a CR and having to keep tabs on, help, and give time to 52 people all biding for your time ??!! I mean, every time we would Pit Out, there would be these clusters of B's about four to six deep swarming around each CR....and yeah, at times I was one of them ! Again I say GREAT JOB and THANKS to all of the CR's for keeping cool, being patient, and getting us all home safe ! Kudos to letting us get some 'Rain Laps' in too (the few that did venture out) ! I don't know about you guys / gals, but I normally don't take the Yammer out in the rain and very much enjoyed the experience. Can't wait to get back on the track with all of you and thanks to all for a safe, fun, FAST day ! I'm goin' ridin' now !!!!!!!

Lombardo Joe

Feb 27, 2010
Matt A;130426 wrote: The CR's do REALLY well considering the fact that there were 52 (FIFTY-TWO!!!) B-Riders in our first session that morning !!!!!! YIKES !:banghead:
Damn... I mean, I knew we was packed, but not THAT packed. He's right. Thanks to the CRs... Volunteering their lives and skill for squids! :congrats: