NJMP Mon Aug 12 Crash in Chicane A Group

mperussault

Any update on the rider of bike number 96, a white Yamaha R1 that went down (and to the hospital) in the chicane in the first afternoon A session on Monday? Also any video or photos of what happened are welcomed. There were 3 people involved in this crash. I am the 1st. one, that got hit, the 3rd. ridder Thomas was OK as I talked to him afterwards, but no news on #96.
Thanks.

R1Baby

Control Rider
Spork;284752 wrote: I think He broke his wrist and ankle but it is otherwise ok .
Clarification, the first A secession of the morning, rider broke his wrist and ankle in turn four. Did not hear of anyone else.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
R1Baby;284754 wrote: Clarification, the first A secession of the morning, rider broke his wrist and ankle in turn four. Did not hear of anyone else.
Correct for the rider during this session in Turn 4. I spent the day with him in the ER, so I didn't witness the Turn 3 chicane crash, but I heard about it later that evening.

Is this what happened - a rider ran off the track, then came right back on, colliding with another rider (I assume mperussault?) resulting in a crash that then collected a third rider (Thomas?).

Is this the way it happened? I hope that the other rider is ok!

But....here's an educational rant....if this happened in the way I assume above.... I don't understand this in any group, especially A. I've been doing trackdays for a very long time and the protocol as I always understood it from every org I've ever ridden with, and I believe nesba is no exception:

If you run off the track, you DO NOT, under any circumstances, just re-enter. You slow yourself down, come to a stop out of the impact zone, and you wait for a cornerworker to signal that it is safe for you to come back on course. I think there are times where if there isn't a cornerstation nearby, IF you have a clear view of the track (no hillls, blind turns), you can re-enter once you've stopped and looked for oncoming riders. IF neither of those conditions are present for you to safely re-enter the track, you remove yourself and your bike from the impact zone, and you wait until the session is over. Then you ride back to the pits.

The safety rules work only if everyone follows them. We are all responsible not only for our own safety, but for the safety of our fellow riders.

I truly hope all riders involved are ok. Over the past recent years, I've seen so much discourteous riding. PAY ATTENTION AT THE RIDERS MEETINGS! You are NOT the only one on the racetrack. Your actions can have a direct impact on others around you. The results can be lifechanging, not in a good way. This isn't golf.

PATBAROK

That was my buddy Chris-he is doing well, a lot of soreness and bruised up (no broken anything)-but he is back home in good spirits!

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
PATBAROK;284825 wrote: That was my buddy Chris-he is doing well, a lot of soreness and bruised up (no broken anything)-but he is back home in good spirits!
Good to hear, thanks for the update!

mperussault

HondaGalToo;284788 wrote:

Is this what happened - a rider ran off the track, then came right back on, colliding with another rider (I assume mperussault?) resulting in a crash that then collected a third rider (Thomas?).
This is correct. I believe he came in way way too fast in Turn 3A, figured out he would not make the turn, straightened up the bike and went in the grass - going straight while still trying to slow down the bike - which lead him to cut back into the track at Turn 3B and hitting me, then collected Thomas that was behind him. This is what Thomas told me happened when we were in the Ambulance. I miraculously did not go down but pulled off immediately at the next turn as I was "shell shocked" from the impact / pain and thought I had a broken rib cage and could not breathe for a while. Since I was hanging off the left side of my bike, the R1 rammed my chest into my gas tank.... not fun.
Glad to hear everybody came out of that one with bruises only as this could have been a nasty one.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
mperussault;284873 wrote: This is correct. I believe he came in way way too fast in Turn 3A, figured out he would not make the turn, straightened up the bike and went in the grass - going straight while still trying to slow down the bike - which lead him to cut back into the track at Turn 3B and hitting me, then collected Thomas that was behind him. This is what Thomas told me happened when we were in the Ambulance. I miraculously did not go down but pulled off immediately at the next turn as I was "shell shocked" from the impact / pain and thought I had a broken rib cage and could not breathe for a while. Since I was hanging off the left side of my bike, the R1 rammed my chest into my gas tank.... not fun.
Glad to hear everybody came out of that one with bruises only as this could have been a nasty one.
Scary stuff, glad you guys are ok. I'm glad the rider that caused it is ok, too. That could have ended up very, very badly. Folks need to remember it's a trackday, not a race, and dial it back a bit.

hank

Number864;284803 wrote: Found video of it. I'm coming over T2 @ 4.36 into the video and if you follow up ahead you can see the R1 lose it. If you frame by frame it, you can see the skid marks from both the front and the rear.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiWzzfppjXc&feature=youtu.be
From the video - was the guy filming just not able to get around the yellow R1 or were they riding together? I sure hope the former and not the latter - intentionally riding as a pack is just bad practice...

mperussault

A split second after the initial impact....

picture.php

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
mperussault;284904 wrote: A split second after the initial impact....

picture.php
You're lucky you managed to stay upright and not get punted off the track into the armco on the outside of that turn. The same thing happened to me in Turn 4 last year, rider came in WAY too hot, t-boned me when I was leaned over at the apex, and punted me off the track. Only I wasn't lucky enough to stay upright, very bumpy outside turn 4 and I highsided and got to spend the night in the hospital, lost 2 units of blood into my knee from the soft tissue damage than ensued upon landing. Bike destroyed.

People, you are responsible for the safety of your fellow riders. There is never an excuse to hit another rider.

mperussault

and then....

picture.php

#951 is probably wondering what to do.... this is Thomas that went down to make it a "menage a trois" crash.

mperussault

HondaGalToo;284905 wrote: People, you are responsible for the safety of your fellow riders. There is never an excuse to hit another rider.
I am with you on this. It seems that over the years track days are becoming like bumper car derbies. And I am not sure that Nesba is doing or can do enough about it. There seems to be more and more untrained and very aggressive riders out there.

To give you all a reference point here is my 2013 year so far:

-Did 21 Races with WERA / CCS - no crash, just one close call / pass.
-Did a total of 4.5 hours on the track time Endurance Racing (4 different races) - Absolutely NO issue whatsoever.
-Did 2 track days with Nesba: VIR April 7 some guy crashed right in front of me and collected me and now NJMP Aug 12 getting hit.

These are my personal stats. You come up with your own conclusions.

Emerson

BobbleHeadMoto
Control Rider
ATP/3C
mperussault;284916 wrote: I am with you on this. It seems that over the years track days are becoming like bumper car derbies. And I am not sure that Nesba is doing or can do enough about it. There seems to be more and more untrained and very aggressive riders out there.

To give you all a reference point here is my 2013 year so far:

-Did 21 Races with WERA / CCS - no crash, just one close call / pass.
-Did a total of 4.5 hours on the track time Endurance Racing (4 different races) - Absolutely NO issue whatsoever.
-Did 2 track days with Nesba: VIR April 7 some guy crashed right in front of me and collected me and now NJMP Aug 12 getting hit.

These are my personal stats. You come up with your own conclusions.
Wera grids have been very light this year.. you and I were in the same race earlier this year at summit. Back in 09 when I raced the same solo, there were 31 novices and almost as many experts, this year there was only one novice (myself) and 7or 8 experts. What I'm getting at is that it seems safer because there's only a few other guys out there, less people to go down....

juicebox

The guy on the R1 who went to the hospital had a GoPro running. I got to see the wreck from his bike. From what I saw, he ran up on #350 really fast and rather than checking up and holding off until after the chicane to complete the pass, it looked like he tried to force and inside pass...and obviously that didn't play out too well...

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
mperussault;284916 wrote: I am with you on this. It seems that over the years track days are becoming like bumper car derbies. And I am not sure that Nesba is doing or can do enough about it. There seems to be more and more untrained and very aggressive riders out there.
I couldn't agree more and I struggle to figure out why. I started doing trackdays in 1995. It's only been the past few years where it seems that I hear of someone getting hit, taken out, at just about every day. Not sure why. More accessible? Meaning more inexperienced aggressive riders, even in nesba's A group, where they need to be promoted? A general societal trend where no one takes responsibility for their own actions, and how they might affect someone else? The "me" syndrome...only caring about what you're doing in your own little world....your I-land if you will.

Every rider's meeting discusses the rules. Yet at every event, someone seems to not signal, pitting out at the last minute and crossing the race line. Or not waiting to make a safe pass, and plowing into someone. There is absolutely NO excuse for this behavior, especially at a trackday.

It's gotten so bad, IMHO, that the orgs are going to have to take a stronger, stricter stance on this. Breaking of certain rules should be an ejection for the day. Perhaps even a permanent ban.