NJMP Thunderbolt 11/5

bboynicku

Hey guys, planning on doing this day. Done 5 trackdays so far but this will be the first at sub 50deg weather. All the more experienced racers/CRs/trackday riders any pointers for cold weather trackdays?
I use tire warmers and take it easy first couple laps but will be good to know your thoughts/tips on cold weather trackdays! Thanks!!

D-Zum

My 13 year old is faster than your President
You're not going to set the lap record in cooler conditions..so don't go bonzai like you will..cold riding's different that when temps are up..just take it easy. ESPECIALLY in the first left of the first lap of each sessions!!!!! The tires, warmers or not, are NOT up to temp..and may not ever get there in those conditions. The track's like a heat sink..as soon as the warmers come off, the heat's bleeding out. Just go out there for the sake of being out there one more time for the season.

Just work to be smoothe..maybe a day to work on refining your body positioning..focus on getting your body off the bike, inside foot pointed into the corner, get your face on the inside/between the fairing the inside handlebar (if your bike had mirrors...pretend like you're looking in the mirror to see how pretty you are and you'll have your head in generally a good position) and your outside arm resting on the tank (Nick and Ken's "Report Card" from YCRS).

Have fun and end the year on a good note.

OH..and MOST IMPORTANT OF ALL!!!!!!!!

In the morning during Tech..riding in the pits..TAKE IT EASY!!!! Nothing abrupt, your tires are cold and the pit roads are cold. WEAR ALL your gear to tech!!!! GLOVES INCLUDED..just in case something squirrely happens on the way to Tech or back. If you forget to wear your gloves and something bad happens..it sucks waiting for your knuckles to heal and your skin to return to your knuckles.

Do NOT ask me how I know about this...(Road Atlanta, December 2009).

Slitherin

Control Rider
Director
If your leathers aren't skin tight, you can wear some extra layers under them. Latex gloves under your gloves helps as well. My experience has been that once your out on track, you don't really get cold. I seem to sweat just as much as a 70 degree day. A knock gator helps keep cold air from rushing down into your leathers too.

As far as the track/bike, treat the first session like its wet out. Smooth on ALL controls. Work on fundamentals. The track comes in fine and you'll be up to speed usually by the 3rd session. After lunch will be just like any other track day you've been to. The trick is to tell yourself to keep it simple in the morning. Great time to work on body position and race line.

My first TD ever was at Pocono in April and it was 29 deg at the riders meeting. One of the best riding experiences I ever had and was hooked. So even sub freezing can be really fun.

kubricky

Control Rider
Director
Yup, everything above...wear extra layers...stay warm. Cooler weather is a lot like warmer weather. I use "cooler" rather than cold and warmer rather than hot for a reason.

In warmer weather we tell folks to stay hydrated (high 70's and 80's) but it isn't until the weather is 90's and 100's in the shade that people seem to listen. Even in the 80's fatigue and dehydration can set in. As the weather gets cooler, wear warm clothes and keep yourself (at the very least your core around the heart where the blood is pumped out to the extremeties) warm. Being cold and dealing with the effects is not fun and can be dangerous on the track for yourself and others.

bboynicku

wow this was exactly what i was looking for!! thanks for the helpful advice!! Oh and chris, i did get my suspension sorted out with Mark! Can't wait to try it out! :)

bboynicku

Totally agree!! So worth it especially with the three classroom sessions we had on body position, lines, and suspension by Mark!
Thanks again John for all the helpful tips on lines, ref points etc. Can't wait for next season!
I basically was re-learning the bike cause the suspension was new and i switched to gp-shifting. Couldn't believe how much muscle memory played a part in my shifting...was definitely hard to break a habit i've been doing for 10+ years lol. Took a good 3 sessions to start getting used to it.