NJMP Thunderbolt: Most Unforgiving Track???

Landshark

Control Rider
John at this rate if I bin anymore bikes I'll just hire you on full time so I'don't have to ride the battle wagon.

Nothing new since the last one you knew about.

hank

The last few track days each year usually have more red flags than days mid-season. Maybe people are looking for that last bit of excitement at the end of the season or simply not paying attention, but it seems to happen each year....

Any other theories?:dunno:

stresco

It actaully wasnt that bad yesterday. There were plenty of red flags, yes, but not nearly as many as the last 2 times I was there.

And WTF happend to all the passing rules in the B group during the last two sessions? People passing on the inside and outside of the corners? Didnt bother me much, but I did see some spooked reactions from other B riders. And as far as rules during the day, I guess they dont apply if you are riding a red Ducati. :/

jerzyboy973

stresco;24793 wrote: It actaully wasnt that bad yesterday. There were plenty of red flags, yes, but not nearly as many as the last 2 times I was there.

And WTF happend to all the passing rules in the B group during the last two sessions? People passing on the inside and outside of the corners? Didnt bother me much, but I did see some spooked reactions from other B riders. And as far as rules during the day, I guess they dont apply if you are riding a red Ducati.
:/
Stres you seem stressed :haha:

stresco

Not at all man. Just thought it was amusing to get passed in a corner that I had to check up my speed on entry so I dont pass the guy in front of me while leaning the bike over. ON MORE THAN ONE OCCASION!

Blaise

I heard of a lot of passing rules broken in the B group as well, but not until after we left the track... told my friend to tell the CRs while you're there next time. Not cool.

JonnyZ!

ta2kutz;24757 wrote: jonny were you the one that broke down first thing in the am right in the chicane. and sat there for the session?

A really wasnt too bad. damn tons of riders. for the A group.
todd it was fun. its nice to have someone to run with .

That wasn't me....

I got in 2 laps second session and pitted in....... Was getting a heavy vibration and decided it wasn't worth a set of cases and cylinders...

I had the chance to ride a week day my first visit there in October........... Was AWESOME.... Maybe weekdays brings a different crowd?? B and I seemed to have fewer Red flags ... :dunno:
Only complaint was that the Marshall held us on the grid an extraordinarily long time before each session.
I don't recall a Red flag in A that day.....oh I did win track day that day though.. :squid: ... Went around an extra lap after the checkered..... TWICE! The MArshall came over after the day laughing at me.
That day you could get a stretch of open track and just rail. I didn't see the checkered! But then I'm buried behind the windshield looking over the top of my glasses so basically, I can't see shiet! and there was no white flag that day........ :dunno:

Landshark;24760 wrote:
John at this rate if I bin anymore bikes I'll just hire you on full time so I'don't have to ride the battle wagon.

Nothing new since the last one you knew about.
I do spend way too much time turning wrenches in the pits........ whats another bike gonna hurt? :D

Hey! where are my pictures?

mperussault

I only did NJMP on Saturday 11-1 in the I group and it was kind of a wild day with a wild group. A lot of red flags. Also had to deal with quite a few inside passes which is OK with me as long as they are nice and clean. But in the afternoon, I had to deal with one suicidal inside pass in turn 4 where we both of us ended up 2 feet from each other's neck to neck, both diving in and aiming for the same point... I had to go wide and ended up rolling off in the grass or we would have both gone down. He was not from NJ, he was from Maryland... and he ended up crashing two session later because he was riding over his limit. So I have another theory: may be it's the water!

nrcooled

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I think the biggest issue is that NJMP is just plain fast! There were a lot of riders who either didn't want to run fast corners quickly or didn't know that they were fast corners.

I saw a lot of questionable passes throughout the day and most of them were faster riders coming up on MUCH slower riders and taking the inside to keep from collecting them. I am not excusing this action and I also think that the faster riders need to look further ahead to compensate for their speed.

I found that by using the fast corners to your advantage on the slower riders by hanging back and getting a good run on the outside you could get all passes done clean.

With all that said, there were also some flat out a-holes out in "I" also. I was passed under standing yellow, under checkered flag, etc.

Katie785

You can pass under a checkered flag... usually it's displayed at the start line and you want to continue at full pace until the 2nd to last turn. WIth NJMP, You want to get a hand up at about the bowl or the sweeping left... dont need to slow down way back at the checkered..

nrcooled

Katie785;25656 wrote: You can pass under a checkered flag... usually it's displayed at the start line and you want to continue at full pace until the 2nd to last turn. WIth NJMP, You want to get a hand up at about the bowl or the sweeping left... dont need to slow down way back at the checkered..
Thanks for the info! I learn something new everyday!

Clarus

That being said, I'm terrified of being 'that guy' who bins it under the checker, so although I'll still go through scraping knees, I'm certainly not at 100% after the checkered.

betarace

better than being the guy who bins in in turn zero (exiting the pits, fading onto the track) which amazed me

Slow Steve

I hate pushups.
Control Rider
It looked like he caught the inside of the track. There were scapes across pit lane through the gravel across the track to the out side. There really was no reason for him going down other then lack of patience.

slowpoke387

I know this thread is old but no one mentioned Loudon, I think. Well for me that is definitely WAAY more unforgiving. Thunderbolt is a joy compared to Loudon. Loudon is all stop & go, full of walls, and by far the least flowing and most technical of any track I've been to. Thunderbolt is awesome as long as the 1st 2 chicanes aren't f'n things up. If anyone's ridden it without them, I'd bet they agree. Thunderbolt flows and you can put together a good lap without having to go from 100-20 right at a wall (T-3 Loudon). And it's not a really technical track at all IMHO.