No Gear Crash

I saw this some time ago and I think somebody new the girl and she got tore up good. Man, that was a couple years ago on another forum, sorry I don't remember more.

BZ

Chip

facepalmjpg.jpg

Trent1098S

Landshark;76993 wrote: Not the same girls but should be similar in the result.

http://sportbike.natkd.com/road_rash.htm
^^^ That should be required reading for riding motorcycles. I think a lot of new riders don't quite understand what damage your body can take from an off.

I grabbed full leathers the night before last just to ride 15 minutes to a buddies house - it was after dark, and along the stretch of road I pegged a deer on last September in my pickup truck. I don't usually ride with full leathers unless at night, but I *do* wear gloves, 8" boots, jeans, a phoenix jacket with back protector, and helmet.

After seeing the damage caused to my truck by the deer, which coincidentally happened less than two weeks after my big off at Putnam, I ONLY ride with gear on now. The frame of the 3/4 ton truck was pushed back over 6 inches on the right side. The grill, transmission radiator, fan shroud, front fender, and the heavy duty bumper were destroyed. The battery was split. It took $2300 and 3 weeks of nutbusting work to get it road worthy again, as I only had liability on the old work truck.

The deer ran straight on to the road outside of my headlight cone, on the inside of a turn right out of a cornfield. I didn't see it until the moment of impact - the first glimpse of it was when it was about 3 feet in front of the truck. Didn't have time to brake, swerve, or brace myself.

If I was on the bike at the time, the outcome wouldn't have been good. Fortunately I was still WAY too sore to be riding from my crash at Putnam. Guess this means the crash at Putnam ended up saving my life two weeks later?? Never thought of it in that context until just now!

I know jeans won't be good for more than 5 feet of asphault... and that's a calculated risk I chose. I do keep my upper body covered 100%. The phoenix mesh jacket isn't uncomfortable even in the 100 degree heat index of August, as long as you're moving. It's got heavy armor on the elbows, forearms, shoulders, sides, and a full back protector built in. This is my second phoenix, and it has survived a low-side due to a gravel-filled pothole without any injury. I fared much better than my ZX-14 did, which still needs a coat of fresh paint...

I feel totally naked and exposed riding without gear. About the furthest I'll go is pulling the track bike out of the trailer and putting it in the garage, or riding it to tech in the mornings at the track. :)

Anyway that's my soapbox time..

avizpls

#11-A
its a solid soapbox. I wear my gear 99% of the time. I still work on that 1% where I dont wear my jacket. Reminders of the importance from OTHER people are always good, because if you get to relize youself why its worthwhile to wear the leather, it may be too late.

S3aturnR

every time i'm wearing my gear and think to myself, "man this is effing hot!", i think about the pics of that girl with the rash. i saw them a couple years ago it seems. i still feel weird riding to tech on track day mornings...

s3aturnr

scotty88

yesterday i was on my way at noon to visit my mom at the hospital and had several encounters on the way first was a great dane crossing in front of me , then a truck flipped with a car carrier on it , up the road was a deer , then a squirrel it was hot out had jacket , gloves , boots and draggen jeans ,and helmet i wanted to turn around go home and stay there , you never know whats going to happen avoided all of the obstacles and decided to go home another way .always wear your gear !

rk97

has anyone owned (or crash tested) any of the popular brands' kevlar reinforced jeans?

I've seriously considered a pair for myself, and nearly bought them as a groomsman gift for my brother, but the reviews on kevlar reinforced jeans were so 'eh' that I went with an armored textile/mesh pants for him instead. (they also zip to a jacket he already owned)

my take is that the gear is 0% affective if you don't wear it; thus full leather pants just aren't a good investment for me - not when 95% of my street riding is commuting to and from work. I won't wear leathers to work; regardless of how much i know i should...

I need something i can either wear all day without looking like a goofball, or something that (comfortably) fits over pants, or khaki shorts.

the kevlar jeans seem to be the easiest option, IF they work. Otherwise, I think i'm in the market for some mesh/textile armor like i bought my brother...

and the non-riding crowd absolutely doesn't get it... one of my coworkers (25) asked me if it gets cold on the bike. This was in June. He assumed that because i wear a jacket and gloves, i must be cold. "oh. no. it's hot as hell when you're not moving, but i have no desire to be a skin crayon."

BonesDT

Trent1098S;77080 wrote: ^^^ That should be required reading for riding motorcycles.
I read about the importance of gear all the time, but reading that girl's detailed descripton of what it felt like sliding down asphault was by far the most effective.

Just before this thread, I went out the other day in a t-shirt & jeans. Here are just some of the excuses running through my head:
1) I'm just riding a 250
2) I'm just going a few miles
3) I'm not getting on the highway
4) I'm going to be extra careful
5) Jeans will protect me
etc.

I'm such an idiot.

I take note of all MCists on the highway now. Literally, 99% of them (if not more) are in t-shirts. I saw a girl on back in, guess what, shorts & sandles. I wish I could have talked to her. When I drove into PA where there's no helmet law, that was missing too. Then I saw two sportbikers with full leathers on. It was mind blowing, especially in the NYC area. I swear I think that was the first time I ever saw full leathers on the street. I used to think it would feel foolish to be on the street with a race suit, especially if you have to stop at a store for some water or gas, but these guys actually looked cooler like that, but probably just to us trained eyed riders.

scotty88;77201 wrote: yesterday i was on my way at noon to visit my mom at the hospital and had several encounters on the way first was a great dane crossing in front of me , then a truck flipped with a car carrier on it , up the road was a deer , then a squirrel it was hot out had jacket , gloves , boots and draggen jeans ,and helmet i wanted to turn around go home and stay there
Paperboy becomes a reality!

rk97;77209 wrote:
has anyone owned (or crash tested) any of the popular brands' kevlar reinforced jeans?
I just discovered these, which look pretty cool. Leather protection with looks of denim:
http://www.kushitani.com/kushitani-web/productslexjeans.htm

I don't know if I trust them though. After all this, I'm using my race suit from now on. I thought about getting basketball breakaway pants to wear over them, and maybe a t-shirt like the CRs so I don't feel so skin-tight-leathered up if I have to stop at a store with civilians. Anyone do this?

Blaise

I'm not a fan of Icon gear, but here's my take on it -- if they make gear that's 'cool' enough for the average street rider to wear, I'm ok with it. The more geared up folks out there, the better.

I always used to get a lot of crap for riding in full gear everywhere. In town (

avizpls

#11-A
whats wrong with icon? why are they "cooler" than other brands? I went to a store knowing I wanted leather,not syns, and ended up with a black icon jacket... why exactly do I get the impression like im supposed to be ashamed of this now?

Trent1098S

BonesDT;77227 wrote: I read about the importance of gear all the time, but reading that girl's detailed descripton of what it felt like sliding down asphault was by far the most effective.

Just before this thread, I went out the other day in a t-shirt & jeans. Here are just some of the excuses running through my head:
1) I'm just riding a 250
2) I'm just going a few miles
3) I'm not getting on the highway
4) I'm going to be extra careful
5) Jeans will protect me
etc.
Man I tell you.. it's run through all of our heads before at some point. You're not alone. I took out my 14 the other day to test out video .. was wearing shorts. I put on my phoenix jacket, helmet, gloves, and 8" work boots. With shorts. I got out a ways, got on it a little, then said to myself "what the F%@# am I doing??? I'm in shorts for god sakes.."

I slow up just in time to hit a bird on the way off the interstate to head back. Now I'm REALLY paranoid and I backed off it to the speed limit. Even at a SLOW pace, I almost lost the rear on some sand going around one of our ill-kept country corners... didn't see it until it was unavoidable. I get on the home stretch - a 1/2 mile country road (marked 55mph) leading towards my neighborhood, and think "ok, I'm cool". I pick it up to about 60, only to have a neighbors minivan pull right out in front of me - they didn't look or even slow down, I got it on video. I had to cut my speed in half and barely missed them.

Never riding in shorts again. It's bad juju. I about lost some blood. Besides I must have looked rather rediculous in full gear on top, and just shorts on the legs... I had *three* reminders on one 15 minute ride!

Like I said, when I go to work I gear up as much as I can comfortably stand (just missing lowers). When I ride in the evening, I'm dressing up in leathers from now on. Especially since we're heading quickly in to "deer strike season"..