NO more fiddy's...AMA rapid response

Burnall4

ronhix;38486 wrote: Yep, done.

I just guess my kids (god willing I don't have any) will have to ride 450 motocross bikes, I guess I will have to come out with a line of adaptable pegs and shifters for the under 10 demographic :notsure:

Burnall4

I wonder the look on the face of the salesman when I walk in with a six year old kid and set him on the 450's or even 250s...say... yeah this will do and hand him a check/cash?

Dave561

Control Rider
Director
I got this response back from our senator. Looks like there is a 1 year grace period?

Originally the law was set to take affect on February 10, 2009. However, due to ongoing questions about the law's interpretation and implementation, the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) issued a one year stay of enforcement for certain testing and certification requirements. Under this new timeline, manufacturers and importers of children's products do not need to test or certify the requirements set by the CPSIA until February 10, 2010. Please be advised that retailers are still expected to meet the lead and phthalates standards but will not have to test or certify that each product meets the new standard. This action follows an earlier decision on January 8, where the CPSC announced an exemption for resellers, determining that thrift and consignment stores are not required to test products prior to resale. As always, businesses that resell children's goods are encouraged to exercise judgment in removing noncompliant products and continue to follow all product recall advisements.

Dave561

Control Rider
Director
Looks like I mis-interpreted it. The manufacturers have a year to test but all the manufacturers of bike products already know the lead content and therefore are out. Even parts availibility is affected. Guess I better keep an eye on the boys and make sure they aren't putting any ketchup on the 50 :banghead: