NOLA What to Expect

fossilfuel

Just wanted to let you guys know a few things before you head down to NOLA for the first time. I traveled down I-10 West heading through New Orleans and took the GNO Bridge this is 90 West. This was another track organization that sponsored this track day. The facilities are nowhere near being finished. There were portable showers and bathrooms but no gas or electricity in the paddock and no vender food service.. The road to the paddock is a little confusing. You are at the mercy of the guy in the car to tell you which way to go. It rained the night before so the road to the paddock was muddy. It dried out by the afternoon. I saw one truck and trailer stuck in mud because he took a right just before the right he should have. Nothing was coned or taped off so he ended up riding off the pavement and had to be pulled out the next day. We unloaded all his gear and motorcycles and took them to the paddock.
Access to gas, food and restaurants are not bad at all. The track is close to Clearview Parkway and West Bank Express Way which have plenty of grocery stores and fine food, only about 10 miles from downtown and Bourbon st. Be careful traveling down Lapalco blvd. The speed limit is 35 mph and it is patrolled.
The track is 2.7 miles long and very fast, flat as a pancake and lacking in reference markers. The pavement is green, very green so your brand new $500.00 a set Dunlop Ntec slicks will last for days on this track. I had no problems braking into the corners but it was slippery exiting. The front straight is long but not as long as Road A. I was able to see 160 mph on my 1000 and caught Cory West until we got to the brake markers. LOL!
The lay out is fun but will lull you into trouble if you don't watch it. Three sets of chicanes on the back straight, the first being very, very fast, then not so fast, then the slowest of the three before the last turn. This last one can bite you going in to hot. Turn three is probably the slowest turn on the track and pavement has been added at the apex. My natural line was to go over this area but the seam bothered me so I stayed to the outside of it. If you over shoot turn one you can go straight thru to turn five where a corner worker can wave you back on the track and there is extra run off on turn five and one other but I forget that one. The exit off the track is like Barber but this one is on the last turn and interferes a little if someone is exiting and you are working on the best lap of your life.
In conclusion, the track was fun and I think you will enjoy it just be prepared for the following:
1.) no vender food service
2.) no electricity in the paddock
3.) portable showers and bathrooms
4.) no PA system (two girls in truck traveling around paddock with loud speaker)

1098sirhc

Food was served in the tent and there was power under the roof in the paddock.
Power was not in the open though and showers will be by the grages when finished.
All of which should be resolved in the next month or two

fossilfuel

1098sirhc;232326 wrote: Food was served in the tent and there was power under the roof in the paddock.
Power was not in the open though and showers will be by the grages when finished.
All of which should be resolved in the next month or two
"Food was served in the tent"
Yes it was...cold sandwiches from an ice chest and I ate one. It did make a nice turd.
I should have said, no grill....no breakfast....no coffee....nothing hot (except for the girls in the truck)

"power under the roof in the paddock."
Yes it was and I'm sure all the NESBA control riders, officials and people who have rented space at the track for their bikes will enjoy it.
Nothing wrong with that...NESBA puts on the event and gets to set up under the roof. I would do the same thing.

"Power was not in the open though and showers will be by the garages (sp) when finished."
Bring a generator or set up near someone who will share.

"All of which should be resolved in the next month or two"
I look forward to this. NOLA will be a beautiful facility and I look forward to many, many events there. I went there in February and enjoyed the track very much but for now you, I , we need to be prepared for a few inconveniences and a lack of basic track side service and utilities for the time being.

Mr.DJ

Hey [y]all | youz | peps,

Bob, John and I are trying to get the latest status on the facility.

With NOLA coming up next week, we have a bunch of questions on logistics ourselves. Gate times, PA system, camping, grass/mud/pavement, and power are just a few.

This venue is "green" and some of us rarely have the opportunity to ride while the paddock is developing. This is great to ride a new track, but most often the track itself is ahead of it's support. Please be to ready to expect this and be mentally prepared :D, as this may be shock for some our new trackday riders. I know I have to; as I'm spoiled by tracks like Barber or even Jennings (comparatively).

However, some of us can remember Barber, VIR and NJMP's start. They also lacked the amenities in the beginning - it seems so long ago I almost forgot. NOLA has the makings of an awesome venue and we're glad they didn't wait until the last nut & bolt to let us ride.

We will get you more info as we confirm with NOLA to help us prepare. Info is slow coming in, but John or I will post once we hear back from NOLA staff.

Thanks - see you there!

Mr.DJ

jcrich;234130 wrote: I know you will be "roughing" it. :D
hehehe - I knew this was coming....LOL

About 9 years ago the wife and I were at VIR for AMA race (lived in DC area at the time). This was our second year of tent and landscape trailer track life. There was a big storm that came through . My canopy was never seen again and I swear our tent (with us in it) floated 10 feet from its original location.

The AMA ended up moving the SB#2 race to Monday and while we were watching that race - On TIVO :p - The wife gave me a "look" ...... I've since bought a bigger boat, twice :D

fossilfuel

Mr.DJ;234129 wrote:
However, some of us can remember Barber, VIR and NJMP's start. They also lacked the amenities in the beginning - it seems so long ago I almost forgot. NOLA has the makings of an awesome venue and we're glad they didn't wait until the last nut & bolt to let us ride.
Thanks - see you there!
I can remember my first time at Barber...I slept in the back of a 4Runner in July eating bologna sandwiches and bananas. Another time there in the back of an enclosed trailer, no heat and a 20 degree wind chill or the time it was 104 degrees F in the paddock. Three of us fighting over the fan!

My first time at Road A, I took a shower with no hot water up on the hill not knowing I had to go across the track to the only shower with hot water, it was 50 degrees there was no power either..had to run a generator.

At Jennings the first time didn't make the gate time and slept in the back of a trailer until the gate nazi let us in..then had to park in the grass with no power...we had to ride a motorcycles through the grass and dirt to get to the track.

My first timie riding Laguna Seca...no tire warmers, the temperature was 49, the coldest day in April they had in twenty years with the wind blowing out of the Northwest at 50 mph gusts. We sat in our car to get warm.

My point is out of all the tracks I have been on..Miller, Laguna Seca, Willow Springs, Barber, Road A, VIR, Roebling, Tally, Jennings, NOLA....no one has ever asked me how I liked the showers or how I liked the food or how hard was it getting there....it has always been HOW DID YOU LIKE THE TRACK!

How did I like NOLA? The track is awesome!

some guy #2

fossilfuel;234136 wrote:
My first time at Road A, I took a shower with no hot water up on the hill not knowing I had to go across the track to the only shower with hot water, it was 50 degrees there was no power either..had to run a generator.
Glad I'm not the only one to discover this information the hard way :) At least there isn't a line for that shower :rolleyes:

JRA

Mr.DJ;234129 wrote: Hey [y]all | youz | peps,

Bob, John and I are trying to get the latest status on the facility.

With NOLA coming up next week, we have a bunch of questions on logistics ourselves. Gate times, PA system, camping, grass/mud/pavement, and power are just a few.

This venue is "green" and some of us rarely have the opportunity to ride while the paddock is developing. This is great to ride a new track, but most often the track itself is ahead of it's support. Please be to ready to expect this and be mentally prepared :D, as this may be shock for some our new trackday riders. I know I have to; as I'm spoiled by tracks like Barber or even Jennings (comparatively).

We will get you more info as we confirm with NOLA to help us prepare. Info is slow coming in, but John or I will post once we hear back from NOLA staff.

Thanks - see you there!
I already know what to expect...there's a paved road in there that they are going to let us ride motorcycles on. Beyond that as long as there's a bush to pee behind I'm good.:D

Mr.DJ

Just found out:

[list type=decimal][*]Gates will be open all day/night Friday for members to setup[*]No PA system - We may be forced to use some form of airhorn Morse Code for group calls (TBD)[*]No lights in the paddockCamping is open for allFood/catering available on-site[/list type=decimal]

Still digging for more info.

twisty2

Nola

Rode to the track yesterday the entrance is still a cluster fuck but a construction foreman said it will be marked better by the weekend no PA, no lights, power is by the members only spot, paddock is paved, portable restrooms/showers.Kart rental track is open till 11:00pm Friday and Saturday if you have a motard or 250 you can use the kart test and tune track for 50.00 a day ,if you need any info call me 504-236-8681.

twisty2

Nola

Only the rental kart track has lights so I don't know how late the test and tune kart track is open

Mr.DJ

Image1-1.jpg

matt2212

DJ chuck got you my tire? I hope

Also my gps does not show the track address could someone post the coordinates or directions from 10

Mr.DJ

google maps and/or itouchmap.com ;)

The from the NOLA site
11075 Nicolle Boulevard; Avondale, LA 70094

=

29.893346,-90.203521

Verify this yourself --- dont want you coming after me if you end up in Mississippi.