Noob to the forum with a few questions...

twinsig

Hello from Eastaboga, Al. (A few miles from TDGP) I have a question.
Would this venue (N2TD) be suited for a 50-ish guy on a BMW K1200GT?
Just looking to improve street skills.....not interested in trying to compete with this heavy beast..
Have been riding since I was 13 yrs, old but never a "track-day".
Thanks...

tdelegram

Control Rider
This group is what you make of it, so I would say yes. But be warned that after turning some laps you'll be tempted to pick up a dedicated track bike and go full tilt.

With respect to the age part of the question..I will be 51 in July and I am not the oldest person out there. Did a couple track days many years ago and then met a beautiful woman..raised a family and all that. Got back into bikes a couple years ago and boom..just like that the addiction took hold again.
Like tdelegram said don't be shocked when you find yourself up late at night scanning forums and Craigslist adds looking for a track bike. Haha

I don't understand what you mean by that twinsig..I suggest you at least try a track day..I don't think you will regret it..I believe you can sign up and get the first two sessions of a track day for free...perhaps one of the control riders will chime in on this.

moman

I've owned nothing but touring/cruiser bikes until 2005 when I got a R6 and I've never been the same since. Turned 59 in March and having a blast! You won't regret it.

CBRtist

Yes, yes and YES. I say over and over again, have the track day experience mould to you, don't try to mould to it. It's a common misconception that we are all about fast and want to race. Some do, others have many different skill sets they would like to improve. You've already solved the hardest part... defining what kind of rider you are and what you want to work on.

We welcome all walks of life. I'm a 48 year old mom... nuff said ;)

So when's your first day? Let us know of any and all questions! :like:

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Oh yeah, you'll fit right in! We're all about education and learning to ride better. Faster safer! If you don't want to commit to a whole day, you can create an account and sign up for Intro. That allows you to ride the first two 20 min sessions of the day for free. You then have the option to pay and ride for the rest of the day, space permitting. Also check out the riders manual, it'll give you lots of information to get you started.
Welcome!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

2blueyam

I have seen all manner of bikes at track days in my 10 years of riding them. I saw a pretty fast guy actually running intermediate on a Honda ST1100 a few years ago at Blackhawk farms, so I am sure your K bike will be fine. I am 50 years young and having fun so don't worry about the age thing other than be ready for the 2nd day after the track day to be the sorest instead of the day after.

Rocky1

In response to the age...I'm 29 and I ride with several people in their 40s and 50s. Hell 3 of my best friends are in their 40s. Age isn't a concern in the moto community it seems. As far as the bike is concerned, I've met a guy who has the same bike, wears all the reflective gear in the world. He came to a track day and had a blast. Controlled environment, FUN, SAFE, and LOADs of great help from the N2 staff as well as the majority of the people you will come across in the pits. Like others have said, I wouldn't be surprised if you fell in love with track days and kept coming more often than you think. It's truly what you make of it. If you're looking to improve skills for the street, you will definitely be able to do so at an event with N2! As hondagal said, sign up for the intro class, but bring money because you'll want to ride the rest of the day too! Hope to see you out there!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Motofun352

Control Rider
Didn't do my first real trackday until I was 55 in 2007, so age isn't an issue unless you make it one. The Beemer will work, I would recommend taking as much weight out of it as you could...no bags (obviously), mirrors, use good tires etc. We have lots of folks showing up on non-race prepped bikes. Your first few sessions are usually with a dedicated CR. We can adapt to your needs quite easily. At first it's about learning race lines, track protocol, good technique. With good fundamentals speed will come as you progress. This is where the yearning for a race bike takes hold and your retirement nest egg takes a hit. :eek:

twinsig

Thanks for the encouragement guys, and from these comments it seems that especially coming from a sport-tourer riding style I should probably prepare for addiction therapy or counseling?
Hopefully I'll be able to join you very soon...and yes, I've scoured CL for those cheap track bikes before, might look into that next year.

That's just the beginning twinsig..it won't take long before you are sitting in your ez chair, at 2 am, in a puddle of your own urine, next to a mountain of empty red bull cans, huffing a beaker of race fuel, watching track videos and figuring out ways to streamline your personal economy in order to afford more track time...just kidding.....but not really.

Caps fan

Well twinsig, I'm a tad older than you (58) and had my first track day on my Yamaha FZ1 and loved it, in fact going to road Atlanta this weekend with my buddy who is 60. Only advice I can add is take some Advil before you start, our minds forget what our bodies can and can't do! You'll love it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bmart

Control Rider
Thanks for the encouragement guys, and from these comments it seems that especially coming from a sport-tourer riding style I should probably prepare for addiction therapy or counseling?
Hopefully I'll be able to join you very soon...and yes, I've scoured CL for those cheap track bikes before, might look into that next year.

It'll be a hoot. When I had my FJ1200 models I had them all out there. I've had the VFR out plenty too.

My first track day back in the 90s came with one specific memory that has stuck with me. I was hauling, or thought I was, when I got passed on the outside by a guy who looked like Santa riding an OLD metal flake painted BMW complete with jugs.

I look forward to meeting you.

Eddie

That's just the beginning twinsig..it won't take long before you are sitting in your ez chair, at 2 am, in a puddle of your own urine, next to a mountain of empty red bull cans, huffing a beaker of race fuel, watching track videos and figuring out ways to streamline your personal economy in order to afford more track time...just kidding.....but not really.
LMFAO...
Whole office knows I'm not really working over here now.....
:laugh::rofl:

Last year was my first track season. I got hooked.
My dad came and watched a couple times, now we're building him an SV650. He's 67 and preparing for his first track day this year.
You'll love it!

Otto Man

John
Control Rider

LOL!!!!

Very funny...and true

Otto Man

John
Control Rider
LMFAO...
Whole office knows I'm not really working over here now.....
:laugh::rofl:

Last year was my first track season. I got hooked.
My dad came and watched a couple times, now we're building him an SV650. He's 67 and preparing for his first track day this year.
You'll love it!

Got my Dad a '07 SV650 as well. He'll be turning 69 this year and just did a TD with it at Summit a few weeks ago. SV650's are great bikes, no doubt he will enjoy the hell out of it.

fowlplayracing

Steve
Control Rider
Welcome to N2 and good on you for giving it a go!
This group is what you make of it
I turn 50 this year and I just don't have enough time or money to go like I want to. Doing a track day is more than just going fast, the entire experience with others who have the same affliction will keep you coming back!