North inside pass in I group

denbsteph

9mmkungfu;292785 wrote: I found this area an interesting place to make an outside pass:

At first I was trying to hit the arrow button to get the video to go, then I looked closer and Was like "WOW" that is pretty close. There is a video on youtube of around that same area with another TD org and talk about mayham......

I think its called "Bad day at Vir North" check it out. It started a very lively conversation on this forum.

Kruizen

Control Rider
I tried to play the video also-lol

Came back to the picture and realized there was another bike there.

Camera angles make things appear weird, so can't really say if it was close or not, but that is a great spot to pass slower riders. Trying it in the turn can get dicey.

I remember that video. And the camera man stopping his bike on track, turning off camera etc.

Tuono1000R

Josh,
I witnessed a pass that roughly resembles what you described. I was holding back between a slower rider in turn 10. A gray/silver w- red bike came around me early in turn 10 and got to the first apex of turn 11 before the slower rider in front of me. The rider in front of me never had to pick up or change line. Technically, the passer was coming under the slower guy on entry while slower dude was already tipping in, but the pass was not dangerous at all.
Kudos on your intregrity by posting here.

Mark D.

bmrboy

9mmkungfu;292785 wrote: I found this area an interesting place to make an outside pass:

NOT , NOT , a good place to play ........

I started Bad DAY AT VIR , Thread ..... if you get pinched off on the outside ....... lets just say , NOT GOOD !!!!!!!! :wow:

steve gould

9mm, i have seen this play out 50 times. It has happened to me on a number of occasions. The rider passing you was setting up outside of you before the bridge. After crossing under, you veered left to get on a line going up the hill. (Which is a bad line but more on that in a minute) When doing trackdays you hear the term hold your line all day. In my opinion this is the exact opposite. When going under the bridge, have your line selected already. Dont swerve out to the outside in the last 100 feet. Overtaking riders at sometimes with huge closing speed will set up outside seeing all that space then at the last second they get pushed off the track by someone feeling they need to cross 40 feet of track to go up 7. Think about this. What other turn do you negotiate on the race track that you swerve opposite direction of the turn only to reverse direction moments later. Sorry for the rant and Im not critizising your riding. Its a dangerous situation and has put a lot of people at risk. That exact situation caused the rider in the video Mike posted serious injury.

Andrew G

Steve is correct. I witnessed a number of times where someone had to get hard on the brakes just before the turn due to someone swerving in front of them after riding on the right the whole way towards the bridge. Turn 7 is a tricky turn (trickiest as far as I'm concerned to learn) but is a lot of fun when you get the entry down. I've seen a lot of guys talk about riding on the left side and turn in late going up the hill. The great thing about turn 7 is that once you exit the "s's" and get onto the straight towards the bridge, the track will move to you. You can end up close to the middle of the track and dip into the turn. Moving to the left is adding a turn to a straight. The entry to 7 is very wide but you only need the first 10 feet or so. The turn is deceiving in that it is narrow and much sharper than it actually is. The inside is cambered more in your favor while the outside falls very quickly to camber set up to crash a motorcycle. My line(Steve's as well) starts from the center of the track going towards the bridge and turning in about 6-10 feet from the start of the turn while riding the rim of the turn all the way up. It will set you up to get on the gas earlier as well as being the safer line. I know this is a long tangent and I'm sorry for it but I feel like this turn is messed up more than any at VIR.

As for my own opinion. If I can't make the pass on the brakes ahead of time I won't attempt to pass going up 7. There is plenty of track to get around someone. 7 is very dangerous!

RADAR Magnet

crash675;292788 wrote: Ive been forced off before on that outside edge. Some riders tend to swing from middle to outside setting up for the turn.
Yep, probably why JRA emphasized passing on the right down that straight and also pointed out that the outside is not the best line for entering the turn at the riders' meeting that morning. John, I guess you need to say it MOAR LOUDER next time!

Unbroken13

Thankx mark... I passed the guy but just misjudged the time it was gonna take to get it done... It felt clean but I still felt the need to apologize... There were some questionable passes all day.. I think sometimes shit just happens... Lol... As far as the bridge turn goes.. I had some close calls there as well...passing on the outside on that straight is scary.. People always tend to turn left before right in that turn... I learned real quick to pass on the inside there.... Lol

JRA

RADAR Magnet;292867 wrote: Yep, probably why JRA emphasized passing on the right down that straight and also pointed out that the outside is not the best line for entering the turn at the riders' meeting that morning. John, I guess you need to say it MOAR LOUDER next time!

Ha, I'm not sure why so many think that setting up far to the left is the good line. I guess it's the same thinking that has people swooping to the left for turn 2 at Barber.:D

Check out the amount of room between the tracks edge and the armco on rider's left just after the bridge. You do not want to get forced off the track there, yet people like this guy in the screen shot above keep putting themselves in a bad situation.

Maybe if I say it enough it will eventually get through....naaaa, probably not. It hasn't worked in years of trying at Barber.:D:D

Steverino

Tried to follow Reg Pridmore into 7 and he took the right line WAAAAAAAYYYYYYY fast and tight. Straight line out of 6 right towards the right side of 7. None of this fade left and then turn in.

Oh and he dropped me like a rock out of 7 up through the S's....but I did get by him when he was two up later in the day! :D

Kruizen

Control Rider
John if you take CSS at vir they STRESS that the proper turn in point is about 12" from the left hand side of the track.

I agree about people swooping left to turn right-WHY???? 7 is easily taken from the middle and can even be ridden all the way on the curb.

9mmkungfu

steve gould

I used to go wide in 7 until several years ago when I watched Matt Mladin and Eric Bostrom go up 7. They entered about the hill about midtrack and hugged the curbing all the way up the hill. Mladin ran a 23.8 that weekend. He must be doing sumthin right.

When you get to the apex at the top of the hill this line facilitates you to stand the bike up, pushing it away from you on the fat part of the tire and getting to full throttle very quickly, greatly reducing the risk of highsiding to the moon.

I get so frustrated when CRing in a paticular group, tapping my helmet before the bridge, setting up for the fast line into 7 only to look back before my turn in and seeing the person following me start their "Swerve".

JRA

Kruizen;292884 wrote: John if you take CSS at vir they STRESS that the proper turn in point is about 12" from the left hand side of the track.
I agree with Steve. Just left of center track. If you mean twelve feet then I agree, but if you mean 12 inches then not so much.

madriders86

I would imagine using that line in a CCS race you'd be giving up a position every time...

I wish this discussion about T7 had happened prior to monday! I have always struggled with that damn turn.

Otto Man

John
Control Rider
Kruizen;292884 wrote: John if you take CSS at vir they STRESS that the proper turn in point is about 12" from the left hand side of the track.

I agree about people swooping left to turn right-WHY???? 7 is easily taken from the middle and can even be ridden all the way on the curb.
I'll preface this with I know I'm about 10 light years away from being any kind of actual skilled rider, but...

I gotta say, the swoopers that go from mid track to the outside corner at the last second are pretty dang irritating, from an passers stand point.

Turn 7 is a perfect example. I feel more comfortable passing on the outside on the brakes, rather than the inside, because you don't know where they're going to turn in at. And if you're mid track under the bridge, and you swoop 6 feet to the left afterwards, you GREATLY increase the chance of collision from a rider trying to pass you. You had originally left 6' of space there, enough for 2 bikes side by side to pass you, then you swing all the way to the edge of the track. How do you know anyone isn't trying to pass you?

I can assure you, no "B", "I", and most of "A" groupers aren't nearly fast enough to justify the line all the way on the left of turn 7. Like the other guy posted, Mladin took Turn 7 just about dead nuts center going into 7. So, unless anyone on here is capable of running sub 25's there at North (Which is flat out HAULING ASS!!!), I really don't think you need to use the entire track.

And if you DO want to be all the way to the edge (Hey, there's nothing at all wrong with that. Everyone is entitled to their own line), make sure you're over there BEFORE you pass under the bridge.

I guess all I'm asking for is for riders to be consistent with their lines. If you watch your GoPro videos, and you're not consistent with the lines you take, you need to back off the pace about 10% or so because you're starting to ride too far out of your comfort zone.