Not a noobie...from WI

Todd

I've been riding motorcycles for 30 years. Dirtbikes as til I was 18, then streetbikes til now. I started doing trackdays in 2006, typically only 2 or 3 a year. I've only ridden Blackhawk and Road America. I've never ridden with Nesba, but this year I'm planning on it on May 30th @ Road America. Looking forward to having a Blast! I run a Honda 600RR in case you wondered?

I do have 2 questions: 1. It sounds like I'll need numbers on my bike? Nose and tail like race number placement? 2. Should I sign-up in the "B" or "I" group? I've run Road America 4 trackdays including my first. I'm usually an upper half "I" group guy.

Landshark

Control Rider
Welcome! Numbers can be dirt bike numbers or tape. Basically it gives the Control Riders something to Identify you by should they need to call you on the intercom or even the flag station. On track they can just pull you in or give you signals.
Normally I'd suggest signing up in "B". "I" group can be pretty fast and those tracks are fast as well. If you sign up in "B" line up in the left front of the two lines at pit out. This is where the CRs look for riders who feel they should be moved up. If for some reason you aren't feeling it for the day you aren't under pressure to ride over your head. If you do sign up for "I" you will be expected to already know the race line, how to setup passes and able to demonstrate a solid understanding of body position and bike control.

Good luck and once again welcome.

FlyingMonkey

Welcome Todd. This is my second year with NESBA & I wish I had found out about them years ago. Everyone I have met has been great. The CRs rock & those nice people working the corners who helped me pick up all the pieces of my bike last year are awesome. I'm about 30 miles north of Madison if you ever need to hook up for a ride or something. I am only signed up for 3 trackdays so far this year but hope to do more. I will be at RA on the 30th.

bugmn20

Welcome to NESBA! I wasn't aware that you could choose which group to sign up for. I thought everyone started in B group with NESBA and was bumped as necessary.

Regardless, Welcome!

Todd

bugmn20;187483 wrote: Welcome to NESBA! I wasn't aware that you could choose which group to sign up for. I thought everyone started in B group with NESBA and was bumped as necessary.
If that's how it works, I'm cool with that!

Thanks!

gkotlin

Todd;187456 wrote: I've been riding motorcycles for 30 years. Dirtbikes as til I was 18, then streetbikes til now. I started doing trackdays in 2006, typically only 2 or 3 a year. I've only ridden Blackhawk and Road America. I've never ridden with Nesba, but this year I'm planning on it on May 30th @ Road America. Looking forward to having a Blast! I run a Honda 600RR in case you wondered?

I do have 2 questions: 1. It sounds like I'll need numbers on my bike? Nose and tail like race number placement? 2. Should I sign-up in the "B" or "I" group? I've run Road America 4 trackdays including my first. I'm usually an upper half "I" group guy.
Welcome. It will be great to have you out there.

If you haven't already, be sure to read the riders manual. It may answer many of your questions.

http://www.nesba.com/Info/Downloads/manual.pdf

The section on numbers will tell you that you need them on the front or the back sides of the motorcycle. Both of course is also acceptable. Our track side vendor "The Trackday Store" will be on site at the event and has numbers available.

Choose which group you like. But it never hurts to start in the B group. Especially at Road America where there is plenty of track for everyone! You may also benefit from our morning B group meeting as well. It will give you some more insight as to how we operate our events.

If you have any other questions, post up here or find me at the track.

rk97

bugmn20;187483 wrote: Welcome to NESBA! I wasn't aware that you could choose which group to sign up for. I thought everyone started in B group with NESBA and was bumped as necessary.

Regardless, Welcome!
Actually new (to NESBA) riders can register in ANY group; they just need to show the staff that they have an Expert race license to register directly into Advanced group. There's no rule against registering in "I" for your first event, but registering in "B" is usually advisable unless you're pretty confident in the skills Troy mentioned above regarding holding a good line, and passing safely on the brakes.

Because NESBA is a bit stricter (read that as "better") about controlling who registers in Intermediate, the intermediate pace is generally quicker with NESBA than other orgs.

the day this picture was taken, I was urged to move into Advanced group because the org had over-booked Intermediate by 20 riders, and my bike was safety wired to "A" specs. Great logic. keeps everyone safe, right? :rolleyes: Thus why I appreciate NESBA's rules.
utf-8BSU1HMDA0MzQuanBn.jpg

Todd

I'm confident in my lines and comfortable passing and getting passed. I'll probably still register in "B" and see about a bump? I'm not sure of my Road America times (seeing I haven't been there in a couple of years), but I run mid 1.20's at Blackhawk. Not sure how that compares?