Novice group 5/1/17 - did you go off track?

tdelegram

Control Rider
You can practice every day on your drive to work. Envision your apex. Your turn in point. Force yourself to scan ahead and look back. Where do you want to put that car tire? There's the white line at the edge of the road and that one specific edge piece of pavement that's missing. Like a pot hole, just at the very edge of the pavement. How close can you get to it without driving off the road? I aim to put the center of the tread right at the edge of that pot hole - enough to know I hit the apex, but not too far that I put the tire off the road. Driving out of the curvy road, I imagine the steering wheel is my lean angle. Driving hard out of the apex, trading my lean angle (steering wheel) points for acceleration points. Feeling the car drift wide, as any car/bike will do when getting hard on the gas.

Or am I the only one that drives like I'm riding a bike? LOL :D

You will be amazed at how quickly it becomes habit. Instead of just going brain dead for as you make the same boring drive to work every day, work on things that will transition to the track. You'll be that much more refined and can then work on other things. Do you stab the brakes in your car? If you do, I would bet you do the same on your bike. Those are subconscious muscle habits. Train them to be better. Working on them while not at the track means there's that much more you can focus on once you're back at the track. Ride bicycles? Same deal. Smooth application of the brakes. Note I said smooth - not slow. Most definitely a difference. But taking things at half speed allows you to really hone those skills in, and you'll find the speed will come naturally without trying. And you'll crash a hell of a lot less in the process...

John, is that how you ride the short bus too?

See you at Pit and NJMP.

mdhokie

@jimmyz63 : Here are some videos where I was following you (assuming I got the right guy):

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1-ptMJ_vsVdZEYtb09YcTdHMlU - followed you there for several laps. Unfortunately half the time you are hiding right in the edge of my windscreen. Maybe I will move the camera left a little bit next time.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1-ptMJ_vsVdTDl6UkN2QUN6SDQ - followed you for just one lap. Uggh, nasty gopro vibration noise.

When I play the videos from the link they are pretty grainy and low-res, but if you download them they are 1080p.

@Otto Man : would be glad for feedback. In the first video I'm following back far enough from jimmyz63 that it is pretty much my own pace.

jimmyz63

Thanks mdhokie...appreciate it. There's enough there that it's useful to me. Just need to keep working on things next at Pittrace

Sick

Johnny Gee
@jimmyz63 You going to Pitt the 20th and 21st? If so, I'll be there. I don't mind following you around for a couple laps to get video of you, if you want. I may be in intermediate though, will have to see.

Looked through my vids, have 2 with you guys in them here and there. Will try and upload them today, my WiFi was down last night.

jimmyz63

I'll be there one of those days, hopefully the 20th. I hope to have a camera mounted by then, but I'll let you know if I don't. Is 3m tape or velcro the best way to mount the base? Do I need to wire the camera to the bike in case it falls off?

Mike:p

Don’t be a Hero, be consistent.
I'll be there one of those days, hopefully the 20th. I hope to have a camera mounted by then, but I'll let you know if I don't. Is 3m tape or velcro the best way to mount the base? Do I need to wire the camera to the bike in case it falls off?
I have seen several cameras on bikes at the track all of them had chain made out of zip ties as a tether. I'm not sure about what is the best way to attach the camera to the bike. Something like a Go Pro mount.

mpusch

Micah
Yes, you'll absolutely want to secure it to the bike. Don't go out on track without having it tethered, because that thing could hurt someone with an 80 mph speed difference...

I haven't seen zip ties personally (guess that could work fine), but safety wire will be the best option. If you're not familiar or haven't used it before, it's really easy to get started. I won't monologue about safety wire right now, but if you have questions on it I'll answer anything you want to know. It's helpful for securing cameras as well as important parts of your bike.

The 3m adhesives work well for mounting GoPros. Make sure you have the appropriate one for the mounting surface (they have flat and curved options). I then drilled a tiny hole in the camera case right next to where the pin screws through it to feed safety wire through. In this picture, I have two small (1/16th inch) holes drilled in the windscreen and attach the safety wire through it.

mdhokie

I have a handlebar mount, picked it online (forget where) for something like $15. Pretty stable, unless I forget to tighten the ankle pivot all the way in which case it buzzes (like in my second video). I would like to find a second way to secure it though; probably will just safety wire or zip tie around the handlebar.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1-ptMJ_vsVdSlBlbk1DRngxbmM
open

Sick

Johnny Gee
Ok, sorry it took so long guys. Have been busy, and had to figure out all the editing software, and upload on YouTube. First time for all that.

Anyway, got at least a few minutes of both of you guys throughout the videos.
@mdhokie, I seemed to have gotten more vid of you than I did @jimmyz63.

Also, I believe I left in when I went off track at T1, in session 5.

Let me know if the links actually work.

Session 5

Session 6