Observations and Thanks for a Weekend and a Year with NESBA

tomseviltwin

Control Rider
I had an eventful weekend at Thunderbolt to conclude my season for 2010. It also happened to be the one year anniversary of my first track day. The six hour drive home was a long one and these are some of my reflections on the weekend and my first year on track. Don't worry, this won't be quite as long as Trent's posts.

First, let me say it was another fine weekend event by NESBA. Mike Moore, I was still a little raw when we spoke as I collected my bike from the garage yesterday afternoon. I'm sure you get a ton of complaints and that's all I had for you yesterday afternoon, which isn't fair. You ran a first class weekend, you're rider's meeting were the most well executed I've attended, and I really appreciated the time you took to explain to me lines through the carousel Saturday. Thank you!

Thanks to the rider that asked if I was alright in the garage about the same time. (Jeff was that you? ) Again, I wish I had not been short and said thanks in person. I wasn't thinking. Thanks Bo for helping me push the RC on the trailer, it wasn't until I went to drive it up the driveway when I got home that I realized I couldn't drop it into gear when it was running without a working clutch. Also, talking probably calmed me down some and made for a safer less distracted trip home.

HUGE thanks to the two riders that successfully avoided my bike and I when I was pavement surfing. I looked through the pictures this morning and I realize what you both did now and neither one of you were actually involved in the initial incident but definitely kept it from being worse for me...thank you! I think one of you might have got some footage with a helmet cam... anything you can send me?

That said, its been a hell of ride since last October.... learning the ropes, making it to A group, crashing, rebuilding, making some great friends, 9 hour road trips, ripped up tires, suspension nightmares, tent killing thunderstorms, life-flights, the sense of community afterwards, RC51 dogfights, racing with WERA, getting lapped, winning!!!, getting buzzed by the fast guys, my first outside pass in I group, my first inside pass in A group...

I wanted to tell some stories, but the truth is, every weekend was a story. I once complained (at about my 3rd or 4th weekend) its always something. Just once I would like to just go ride without the extra events. But I learned that's part of the addiction. This sport isn't easy. If it was we'd all be good at it and it wouldn't be nearly as much fun.

This Fall is a little different then last year. Instead of just starting (hello Road Atlanta in 30-40 degree weather), I am done for the year. But I can't wait for next year, and the year after that... Thanks again to all the great folks that volunteer for NESBA, and the great folks that come out and ride. See you soon!

Jeff H

Hey Tom, yes that was me in the garage. Don't worry about the short response, I probably would have been the same way given the situation. There was 3 of us behind you that went off. Chris, Todd, then me. We had a nice conga line going on there. Todd did have a helmet cam on, I am not sure if he is on the forum but Chris (1literduceater) is and can talk to Todd.

Sorry your season ended like that, glad you are ok. Had fun riding with you this weekend.

tomseviltwin

Control Rider
Jeff H;155813 wrote: Hey Tom, yes that was me in the garage. Don't worry about the short response, I probably would have been the same way given the situation. There was 3 of us behind you that went off. Chris, Todd, then me. We had a nice conga line going on there. Todd did have a helmet cam on, I am not sure if he is on the forum but Chris (1literduceater) is and can talk to Todd.

Sorry your season ended like that, glad you are ok. Had fun riding with you this weekend.
I had a blast as well and hopefully we can do it again next year! Of course we had a conga line... I was riding flat out. :D Thanks for the tip about the video.

tomseviltwin

Control Rider
Thanks for posting the video up! That's exactly what I was hoping for when I saw you in my pictures with the helmet camera. It confirms some of how it went in my head and I'm still not thrilled with the pass but also reinforces the fact that had I dealt with it better it could have ended differently for all of us. It had been an excellent session to that point. It was still a good weekend: lesson learned for next year.

Sorry about the Duc! It didn't look too bad at the end of the video... was it just dirty?I hope you got to ride the last session. Thanks again for your evasive maneuvers! Are you Todd? If I see you next year, I owe you a beer and then some.

two4one

Yeah I'm Todd. Initially I thought you were hit but I wasn't exactly watching your entire situation vs my own. Kinda' saw it out of my peripheral.

The bike is OK. I need some paint work and an upper fairing stay but that's it. She wasn't perfect to begin with. No beer necessary. Next time use that heavy bike to plow through something smaller! :box:

1literduceater

tomseviltwin;155807 wrote: HUGE thanks to the two riders that successfully avoided my bike and I when I was pavement surfing. I looked through the pictures this morning and I realize what you both did now and neither one of you were actually involved in the initial incident but definitely kept it from being worse for me...thank you! I think one of you might have got some footage with a helmet cam... anything you can send me?
Tom that was my friend Todd and I avoiding the boling pin. Todd was the one on the Ducati that went down in the grass. Yes he has the video...in fact I am watching it now. Please PM me your email address and I will get it to you.

I am really sorry to see you go down. I started this sport on a RC-51. I had a lot of fun riding behind you....brought back lots of memories. FWIW I was NO where near as fast on mine as you are on yours! Have a good winter and we will see you soon.

1literduceater

tomseviltwin;155897 wrote: Thanks for posting the video up! That's exactly what I was hoping for when I saw you in my pictures with the helmet camera. It confirms some of how it went in my head and I'm still not thrilled with the pass but also reinforces the fact that had I dealt with it better it could have ended differently for all of us. It had been an excellent session to that point. It was still a good weekend: lesson learned for next year.

Sorry about the Duc! It didn't look too bad at the end of the video... was it just dirty?I hope you got to ride the last session. Thanks again for your evasive maneuvers! Are you Todd? If I see you next year, I owe you a beer and then some.
I will drink his beer if he doesnt want it!!!

Mike Moore

Tom - No worries on your state of mind when you picked up your bike (been there, done that, got the t-shirt). Get the RC fixed up and we'll see you back out in April!

Mike

vinny337

Vin is in...Beastmode!
Control Rider
Tom,
Good to hear you're ok and that's most important, your bike can be fixed...In spite of the mishap you seem to have had a great season!! I didn't get chance to dice it up with you this year but we'll get it in next year for sure...;)

Mike Moore

A Learning Moment

So I got a chance to see the video and while I agree with Tom's statement that he could of handled it better, there is something for all of us to learn on passing.

One thing I touched on in the rider's meeting about passing at a track day: (after the advanced guys had been released - will change order ) Pass when the rider is moving away from you. There is a time when Tom comes out of T4 that he begins to move to the right, that's the time to make the pass. Unfortunatley the rider behind him is not close enough to execute and by the time he initiates his pass Tom is coming toward him and the result is an offseason project.

The safest pass is done when the two riders are moving away from one another. Given the amount of the purse at the end of the session and that the two riders did not know one another or their riding skills its the right call in this case.

Mike

1literduceater

Mike Moore;156592 wrote:

Pass when the rider is moving away from you.
There is a time when Tom comes out of T4 that he begins to move to the right, that's the time to make the pass. Unfortunatley the rider behind him is not close enough to execute and by the time he initiates his pass Tom is coming toward him and the result is an offseason project.

The safest pass is done when the two riders are moving away from one another. Given the amount of the purse at the end of the session and that the two riders did not know one another or their riding skills its the right call in this case.

Mike
:agree: