Off Season Bike Maintenance

TurnOneRacing

Joe put together a list of things that we keep in mind with our bikes going into the off season and I thought I would share it with everyone.

CHASSIS - the most neglected part of our machines but don't underestimate how good a properly lubed and torqued chassis can feel.

Steering head - clean/inspect/ repack
-inspect bearing cage for cracks and wear
-inspect races for wear and damage, dimples from ball bearings

Swingarm pivot - clean/inspect/ repack
-measure side play, should be less than 1mm if any
-look for loose needles and broken cages
-inspect inner races for wear

Lower linkage - clean/inspect/ repack
-inspect all inner race shafts for wear
-inspect seals for tearing
-inspect needles and cages
-inspect dogbones for stretching

Wheel bearings and axles - clean/inspect
-bearings should rotate smoothly with even resistance
-a loose bearing is on it's way out
-clean repair axle threads

Chain and sprockets - clean/inspect
-look for torn or missing o-rings
-no binding plates
-shark finned sprocket teeth
-proper alignment

Brakes
-clean and inspect calipers
-look for worn or damaged lines

SUSPENSION - we all spend a lot of time and money on good components and keeping them at optimum performance takes maintainance.

Forks
-refresh/upgrade

Shock
-refresh /upgrade

Steering damper
-clean inspect for damage
-clean lube pivot points

ENGINE/TUNE UP - the endless pursuit of speed

Refresh
-A big investment but worth it to insure a trouble free season or to stay competitive. Also a good time to upgrade

Valve adjustment
-slightly more complicated procedure only proceed if your comfortable with cam timing

Oil and filter
-use factory filters and new crush washers

Spark plugs
-inspect/ replace

Air filter
-inspect/replace/upgrade

Fuel mixture
-custom map from a reputable tuner

Coolant
-replace with appropriate coolant for storage conditions

RACE PREP - turn that glorified street bike into a proper race machine

Wiring
-remove unnecessary components. AI solenoid, brake sw, lighting relays, side stand sw etc.
-wrap, insulate harness
-tie up all unused connectors

Air injection
-install block off plates if applicable
-remove hoses and solenoids
-wire out solenoid

Routing
-cables
-harnesses
-clear of steering and crash damage

Hand controls
-clean lube all cables and levers
-remove left handle bar sw
-clean/replace grips

ninjamansc

THE Comstock
Control Rider
This list is awesome! What exactly does an engine refresh entail? Bearings/clearance checks? How often should a stock motor be done?

ken_618

Thanks for the list Tom/Joe! People should remember they can contact you if they need assistance with any of this. Have a great off season.

Trent1098S

So... Tom.. when you hauling Joe down to work on my bikes? :)

Awesome list, but 99% of that is over my head mechanically speaking. I didn't even know you were supposed to lube a bike.

How about a Joe-Knows article on easy-to-check stuff? Is there any way to tell about some of the suspension items without tearing the bike down to the base components?

You could then get more bike-specific on the articles, if you have time this winter. Start with the exotics first.. you know.. Ducati.. then work your way in to the more "common" bikes. Heh..

TwoTyres

What is the best way to store the bike?
On stands, but is it best to use a front stand under the forks and keep weight on the springs or under the triples and let the forks hang? what about the rear? take some weight off the spring? Or doesn't it really make any difference.

What about freezing temps and the tires, will it effect them?

any other tips.

condon66

Fill your fuel tank to the top; less air space=less moisture/condensation. Include stabilizer.
Remove battery (if not heated storage) and keep from freezing and charge at least once a month.
Set some mouse traps near your bike. Those little bastards!

There's a couple more. I think he covered about everything else.

punkass

I did everything on this list last year and it made my bike better than when it was brand new. I would suggest this even to someone with a brand new bike. Even the factory screws things up but Joe doesn't!

beac83

Great list Tom. And a big +1 on Joe's work - always top notch.

Would these be an every season for the typical track day guy, or say, every two seasons or farther apart? Trying to get a gauge on the proper maintenance interval for all this.

Also, is taking the chassis bits apart to inspect necessary, or are there inspection steps we can do with little o0r no dis-assembly to determine if more is needed with things like steering head, swing arm pivot, and linkage?

Meat

Thanks for the check list! I had everything on that list planned except for the swingarm. What is with these motorcycle manufacturers and their specialty tools!!!! Looks like I have to make a tool for the swingarm castle nut, in order to properly torque on reinstall.