Me shooting full auto G3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xC7Wokz36I

Me shooting full auto belt fed M249 SAW
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xC7Wokz36I

Me shooting full auto AK47
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Li5EcyksD2I

Me shooting full auto belt fed PK Machinegun
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGvxYGcOfAY

Of course, there's more out there if you go digging... think I got a flamethrower video up, and a lot of other full auto shoots (M60, BAR, H&K of various flavors, etc).

Not many full auto weapons I haven't shot personally at one time or another.. one is a minigun. I was planning to fly to Dillon Aerospace in AZ and shoot one out of a helicopter a few years ago but work and family life got in the way. Can't spend as much money on this stuff as I used to, when I was a bachelor...

Oh and I DO contribute to society, on occasion - Before they went out for their last TOD in Iraq, I trained the the local marine reserve (combat engineers) in Bartonville, IL on AK-47's and variants, in the field, and even donated 5,000 rounds of ammo for them to get acquainted with shooting them. Not many civvies like me are given challenge coins from Marine outfits. :)
pssshhhht.... I've shot ALL of them and more

unfortunately it was on Call Of Duty MW2 :doh:

Trent1098S

Oops sorry for derailing the thread, Dave.

If you go up and look at the gun cabinet pic, there's a pic in the far right of a little kid holding a Sterling submachine gun. It's a real Sterling submachinegun, and I'm that little 7 year old kid. It's where it all began. :)

Then, if you look at the same picture you'll see ONE particular gun that's so out of place amongst all the other assault rifles and semi-auto goodness - there's an old muzzleloading percussion cap 45 caliber black powder pistol in the top left corner of the cabinet.

Why would I have such an antique amongst all the other relics of war and hunting?

That's the black powder handgun my father shot himself with when I was 7. It wasn't destroyed afterwards. It wasn't an accidental shooting, he intentionally pulled the trigger as the cops were raiding the house on a warrant. My father had taken to selling drugs after he lost his job at Caterpillar, and my mother had left and shacked up with the bust boy at the local Chinese restaurant where she also worked.

I keep it around as a reminder that guns are to be treated with the utmost respect at all times. People, too, because inevitably it was my father's mean streak that drove everyone away and left him alone inside. I've found that life ain't worth living unless you can put yourself aside for someone else.

In the three years I've been a NESBA member I've only told that story to one or two people I've met at the track, but .. it all happened so long ago, it's gotten easier to talk about.

Sorry to drag the thread down the tubes Dave. Get your kid what YOU feel is right, and don't forget to pass what you know down to him while you're at it. :)

Trent1098S

Fastguy;144075 wrote: Can you provide a quality picture (both sides) of said coin?
Sure, when I get home I'll go digging for it down in the gun room. I'm not obliged to carry it everywhere like they do. :)

Trent1098S

Here... this'll brighten things back up after my thoroughly depressing story. It's one of my favorite pics that I've taken. Shot it after me and my oldest boy got back from a "field trip". The look he has is priceless ....

trentjr_cleaning.jpg

The pic kind of sums up what I was saying about sharing what you know, and spending quality time with kids. They're not allowed to so much as TALK about guns or draw pictures of them at school.

This is a big mistake, in my eyes. It invites ONLY negative curiosity about firearms. And, unless parents actively carry on the tradition, it may serve to phase out the bulk of gun ownership over a few short generations.

It's become solely the parent's responsibility to educate children on firearm safety and knowledge. In my household, we start early. From the time my kids were old enough to walk, they've been taught not to touch guns and to tell an adult if they see a gun or cartridge. (opposed to the schools, which teach kids to tell a police officer)

As they grow older, this lesson extends in to the golden rules of gun safety (which they aren't allowed to talk about at school). Then, beyond that, in to the art of shooting itself. Jr's old enough now, he's also learning about interior and exterior ballistics. Smart kid, he can wrap his brain around the math easy enough.

There's no negative curiosity in my household. No secrets, as I don't want those hushed "oooh look at this" negative curiosity thoughts to even form. Firearms are an every day thing my children are exposed to. They're taught that they are tools - dangerous tools, yes, but tools nonetheless. Much like a chainsaw, they have a purpose, but if they are not respected - for one instant - they can do great damage.

Trips to the range reinforce this. At least once per year, ALL of my children go to the range with me, and all of them see the effects of what happens when a bullet strikes a target. Soda cans, stuff animals, whatever. The point being that the firearms are to be respected at all times, they are not toys. The ones who choose to shoot are allowed to (so far, just the two boys).

There's a local NRA youth camp run at the Bloomington IL range once per summer, does much the same, and our local Tremont gun club also runs the biggest youth hunters safety course in this part of IL.

fitz

Trent1098S;144082 wrote: They're not allowed to so much as TALK about guns or draw pictures of them at school.
Interesting, here where I live, way out in the sticks of PA, talking about guns and hunting is part of our culture, if it is allowed or not there is no way it could be stopped. There was a time when they tried to have school the first day of hunting season, most of the kids didn't show up so made some kind of "teacher in service" day, which got extended a couple of days, even then attendance is down for the rest of the week. We even have a young man that is working his way to the Olympics.

Telling them they can't talk about guns would be like telling them they can't talk about pickup trucks or girls.

fitz

j_fuggin_t

now that i have the inet to give you some literature THIS is what i would start him out on, you can likely find it in a shop cheaper & if its something that he actually LIKES then its a great builder, they have a very nice trigger & the firearm is great quality, they used to surprise me when they'd come in

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/finder/

Mikey75702

j_fuggin_t;144092 wrote: now that i have the inet to give you some literature THIS is what i would start him out on, you can likely find it in a shop cheaper & if its something that he actually LIKES then its a great builder, they have a very nice trigger & the firearm is great quality, they used to surprise me when they'd come in

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/finder/
Link didnt work. It just took me to the gun search engine.

rk97

Trent1098S;144082 wrote: From the time my kids were old enough to walk, they've been taught not to touch guns and to tell an adult if they see a gun or cartridge. (opposed to the schools, which teach kids to tell a police officer)
I wasn't aware schools were teaching kids to go to police now. It doesn't surprise me, but I guess a lot has probably changed since I was in elementary school. To be fair, it seems like "adults" aren't as reliable as they used to be.

But the scenario above is how I convinced my wife to go shooting while we were dating. It may also get me 'permission' to get a concealed carry permit (not that I'd necessarily carry). If a child finds a gun, and my wife or I are the adult they notify, I think it's important for us to know how to safely handle and empty a firearm, whether we own firearms or not.

Blinky

Yeap there are lots of adults who are not responsible these days and then you turn to their kids and they didn't fall far from the tree. I'm glad to see some gun token Nesbians here.

When we gonna get together and go shooting?

Casper

slow_honda;144010 wrote: Sorry should have specified that I also want it to be a rifle for deer hunting. Last i checked the minimum caliber is .243, howver I have not fired one before. I've owned 7mm mag, 35 rem, 30-06 a handful of shotguns 12, 16 and 20 ga but never a 243. Probably just buy one since I'm now curious to fire one
The .243 is solid platform that he can pass down to his kids many years from now. The recoil is light, yet it's accurate/powerful enough to take down a deer at 250yds. I'd say it roughly equals the recoil of a .410. (Someone else suggested ear plugs - EXCELLENT idea.) Or you could go the other way - the .408 Cheytac makes one hell of a deer rifle.

Starting him with a bolt gun will teach the basics and place a premium on accuracy. The new semi-autos start with the premise of putting tons of lead down range, not necessarily precision riflery.

If your neighborhood deer occasionally shoot back, go with the MP5K for close work; it makes a great bike alarm.

j_fuggin_t

Casper;144154 wrote: Or you could go the other way - the .408 Cheytac makes one hell of a deer rifle.
:adore::adore: ahh the reason that shooter was a good movie those are oh so pretty :D

Dave561

Control Rider
Had the boys out shooting tonight and was able to get a hold of a 243. Shot primarily with the 22s in both open sights and with a scope. He handled the 243 well, but the look on his face after the first shot was priceless. :eek: We will be practicing primarily with the 22s. With a few shots out of the 243 to get used to the noise and the additional recoil. That little 243 is a fun gun.

sternsi

Control Rider
Please tell me those guns laying around the floor go into a safe. Having that many guns in a cabinet that is not a safe seems pretty irresponsible to me. I am all for gun ownership, but anyone that knows you are out of town can come in and take any of those guns with very little effort. :dunno:

Trent1098S

Guns stay secure while I'm away. Most are in storage elsewhere, but here, we've got a whole house security system. That cabinet (which only has a few WWII bolt actions in it right now), is a custom build that cost me a great deal of money - it's 100% white oak, but built in are magnetic childproof locks, glass breakage sensors, reed switches, and it is wired in to the cell phone autodialer on it's own zone on the security system. This is set to call one of my neighbors, then my cell, then the police. There's some other surprises in the design of the house itself, but I can't let it all out of the bag.

We take security seriously. :)

Blinky

and don't forget the trip wires to some claymores, some c4 to blow and a gatling gun in a hidden place ready to take aim.

Trent1098S

rk97;144113 wrote: I wasn't aware schools were teaching kids to go to police now. It doesn't surprise me, but I guess a lot has probably changed since I was in elementary school. To be fair, it seems like "adults" aren't as reliable as they used to be.

If they talk about guns, or draw pictures of guns, or pretend to shoot someone with their thumb and forefinger... expulsion. Do a search for "Expelled for drawing a gun" sometime. Best I can tell it's done on a school district by district basis, but IL government must have put some pressure on the school districts (probably in the form of funding) to comply with guidelines. I haven't tracked down any direct evidence of when and how it started, but since my oldest started kindergarten 8 years ago, it's been like this. I know Columbine had a lot to do with the panic that started the ball rolling, but other than that, there's too many documents scattered out over too big of a bureaucracy.

School districts have the power to autonomously develop standards for behavior and the punishments for them. This is done without any direct representation of the public. They probably feel that erring on the side of over-caution will release them from any liability if anything ever happens. Whether it truly provides a safeguard against situations like Columbine from developing is pure speculation. In that case, kids got hold of weapons illegally, used them illegally, and in a manner which would qualify for the death penalty. Would facing expulsion really have offered any deterrent in this case?

I don't know, but I find it pretty doubtful.

fitz;144088 wrote:
Interesting, here where I live, way out in the sticks of PA, talking about guns and hunting is part of our culture, if it is allowed or not there is no way it could be stopped. There was a time when they tried to have school the first day of hunting season, most of the kids didn't show up so made some kind of "teacher in service" day, which got extended a couple of days, even then attendance is down for the rest of the week. We even have a young man that is working his way to the Olympics.

Telling them they can't talk about guns would be like telling them they can't talk about pickup trucks or girls.

fitz
It'll come to your neck of the woods sooner or later, my friend. I moved out in to the sticks in IL, got my kids in a rural school, only to find out it's exactly the same as it was before. Even if I moved to the southern tip of the state, in the real boonies around Shawnee national park, it'd be more of the same. This leads me to believe the State government put funding pressure on the schools to get them to incorporate anti-gun punishments for children. I can't prove it, though. Not that it would matter if I could prove it, there's really no recourse. Try suing a school over your kid being able to do anything in relation with guns, and you'd get fried in the public spotlight.

Our Government is shifting from allowing people to do things because they have freedom, to allowing people to do things because they have need. This is happening everywhere. Ask an anti-gun person why you shouldn't be allowed to own a handgun, they'll tell you there's no need for it. Why can't kids draw a picture of a tank, or a soldier with a gun, well, there's no need for it.

It gets worse when you get around big cities, because people can't get along, and the Government is "forced to intervene" in the interests of making people peacefully coexist when they're crammed in close proximity to one another. The larger the city, the more rules there are in the form of city ordinances, "home rule" (ability to make own laws outside of state laws), etc.

No matter what we do, in the end the schools are the government's arm for effecting change, and the government has power to dictate terms of education because they control the funding levels - never mind it's the taxpayers doing the funding, we aren't in any control over how the money is spent, exactly. Schools have a profound impact on our children's upbringing, patterns of thought, and unconscious behavior. That's another topic altogether, but suffice it to say my belief that is a point in time will come when these kids grow up and are used to being "stepped on." In turn, they'll do the stepping on the next generation, until generation by generation our freedoms get eroded away.

You can't take it all away at once - too many people would be likely to take direct action. But you do it over the span of generations... and eventually there wouldn't be enough people capable of taking direct action to make a difference at all. That's when we lose, for good.