oh well racing rules

NoBull

rk97;78231 wrote: so no one with a felony should be allowed to go back and work their old job? Should they be barred from other jobs too? That's exactly what we need: a huge population of ex-criminals without even the opportunity to change their ways.
No that's not what I mean. I don't think they should be allowed back in a job that makes them a role model for kids, because what the kids learn is that if I can just make it to the star level then I'll be above the law. I'll get off with a slap on the wrist.

But since you ask, how would you feel about working with a convicted childmolester? Somebody who vicously raped and killed a little girl maybe? Let's say the rat bastard served his sentence and was let out. Would you like to work with a guy like that? Or maybe live next to a guy like that with your own kids playing in the street?

mx558

NoBull;78299 wrote: No that's not what I mean. I don't think they should be allowed back in a job that makes them a role model for kids, because what the kids learn is that if I can just make it to the star level then I'll be above the law. I'll get off with a slap on the wrist.

But since you ask, how would you feel about working with a convicted childmolester? Somebody who vicously raped and killed a little girl maybe? Let's say the rat bastard served his sentence and was let out. Would you like to work with a guy like that? Or maybe live next to a guy like that with your own kids playing in the street?
Your talking about people not animals big difference. I hope you don't eat meat because those animals are not exactly treated well. Other cultures eat dogs big deal. As far as Stallworth the guy he hit was drunk walked into the street, you or I could have done the same thing. After the accident he stepped up and did the right thing.

rk97

I realized that's not what you meant, but that's the legal implication.

the "if i'm a star, i'm untouchable" situation is tricky. On one hand, no one is above the law. On the other, you can't make an example out of somebody just to prove a point either. I firmly believe that judges err on the side of caution in MANY of these cases, so they don't look like they're trying to make a name for themselves by giving a 'star' the maximum sentence. Furthermore, it's a simple fact that people with more money have greater means to better legal representation, and their court deals and court sentences reflect that. You think Vick and Stallworth's attorneys don't have good working-relationships with the prosecutors? think again. THIS is when those defense attorneys call in the favor they've been saving up for the last few years. now the attorneys become the go-to guys for a bunch of other NFL players.

Were I put in a situation where i had to work or live in close proximity to a convicted felon; particularly one convicted of raping and murdering a young child... What a hypothetical... I'd certainly avoid the individual as much as possible. At work; in the absence of children, I don't believe they would be much of a threat. would I ever 'forget' what they'd done, or not think of them as "_____, the rapist?" I don't know.

around my own kids (if i had any), I don't know what i'd do if a convicted child-rapist moved in next door. Honestly, I'd strongly consider moving, but who knows who i'm moving IN next to either.

Fastguy

NoBull;78299 wrote:
In the mid to late 70's, society's felt that when a person was released from prison he was accepted back into the community with open arms.

Now society, along with No Bull, judge a person without regard for who s/he has become.

Now, with that said, I won't let my kids go into his house for raspberry lemonade but I would slowly come to understand who he has become from his recent past experiences.

(Mind you, child molesting is just about one of the worst crimes you can commit in the prison world)

I would create small talk with him to "see" who he is today just like another other starnge new neighbor. Every neighborhood has them :asleep: .

rk97

I think people SERIOUSLY underestimate the severity of being in prison some times...

Burress just got 2 years. think about the last 2 years of your life, and then think about how different you'd be if none of those things had happened, and you'd spent that time in prison instead.

I wouldn't own a home. I would have gone to prison leaving my old job instead of my current job. I wouldn't be married, own a dog, or be enrolled in law school. I would never have done a trackday, owned a 600cc motorcycle, or met my good friend's 1-yr-old.

these 'light' sentences aren't taken lightly by the people receiving them. 2 years can be a long time.

I think there are definitely some horrific crimes out there being committed, but I think you have to evaluate the criminal when they start their sentence, and monitor how they're changing throughout it. it's a massively SUBJECTIVE undertaking, but I believe some people are capable of being 'rehabilitated.'

So what's the purpose of prison? to punish a person for their actions? if that's that case, then yeah - lock 'em up for the rest of their lives. some crimes certainly deserve such punishment. But if the purpose of prison is to truly rehabilitate criminals, then you have to provide the opportunity for the system to work.

god damnit... i'm starting to sound like a liberal. who the hell am i?

Fastguy

rk97;78322 wrote: I think people SERIOUSLY underestimate the severity of being in prison some times...

Burress just got 2 years. think about the last 2 years of your life, and then think about how different you'd be if none of those things had happened, and you'd spent that time in prison instead.

I wouldn't own a home. I would have gone to prison leaving my old job instead of my current job. I wouldn't be married, own a dog, or be enrolled in law school. I would never have done a trackday, owned a 600cc motorcycle, or met my good friend's 1-yr-old.

these 'light' sentences aren't taken lightly by the people receiving them. 2 years can be a long time.

I think there are definitely some horrific crimes out there being committed, but I think you have to evaluate the criminal when they start their sentence, and monitor how they're changing throughout it. it's a massively SUBJECTIVE undertaking, but I believe some people are capable of being 'rehabilitated.'

So what's the purpose of prison? to punish a person for their actions? if that's that case, then yeah - lock 'em up for the rest of their lives. some crimes certainly deserve such punishment. But if the purpose of prison is to truly rehabilitate criminals, then you have to provide the opportunity for the system to work.

god damnit... i'm starting to sound like a liberal. who the hell am i?
Just think rk97, I was going to ask you what day you were going to be at Beaverun on the 29/30.

But I'm not sure I can interact with a conservative Republican (You don't have to admit it.) but it does sound like your sitting on the fence :notsure:. I bet you even voted for Obama! On second thought, you can stop by for some brewed hopes :cheers:

rk97

LOL - i'm not an Obama fan, and I certainly didn't vote for him. My only remaining hope is that he either 1) actually follows through on all the bi-partisan compromises he promised, or 2) fails so miserably that people think "wow... let's never do THAT again."

I voted for Bob Barr, and I'd do it again. (all of you who don't know that Barr was the Libertarian Party candidate should be ashamed of yourselves!;))

the whole "it's a 2-party system" attitude is what KEEPS it a 2-party system!

I'm fiscally conservative, but that's about it.

Fatboy

I'm not saying its the dogs fault they've been bred that way it just the facts. I'm not saying that what Vick did was not apalling or disgusting or whatever. I agree....I just don't care! The SPCA euthenizes more dogs in 1 hour then Vick could ever kill, so whatever theres obviously plenty of them.
I CHOOSE to put my energy and $$$ to fight something that matters. Like puppy mills or whale hunters or ivory poachers or killing silverbacks/lions/Bengal tigers/wolves/pandas into extinction!!!!
All that matters to me is what these guys do on the field, the justice system can handle the rest.

And on to top it off, any of you that have ever hunted are a bunch of hypocrits. Soap box over just have to agree to disagree I guess

Fastguy

rk97;78329 wrote: LOL - i'm not an Obama fan, and I certainly didn't vote for him. My only remaining hope is that he either 1) actually follows through on all the bi-partisan compromises he promised, or 2) fails so miserably that people think "wow... let's never do THAT again."

I voted for Bob Barr, and I'd do it again. (all of you who don't know that Barr was the Libertarian Party candidate should be ashamed of yourselves!;))

the whole "it's a 2-party system" attitude is what KEEPS it a 2-party system!

I'm fiscally conservative, but that's about it.
I would bet top dollar that you have Rusch Limbaugh set on your radio and you broke the knob off.

You know what my mission in life is ........:congrats:......... to change the world from a conservative mentality to being liberal minded one republican at a time :spank: .

By the end of the day at Beaverun, :box: I'll have you proudly confessing that you voted for Obama!

Fatboy

rk97;78322 said:
I think people SERIOUSLY underestimate the severity of being in prison some times...

Ain't that the truth.....I won't even walk thru a parking lot with cars in it if I've been drinking anymore

Fastguy

Fatboy;78340 wrote:
rk97;78322 said:
Ain't that the truth.....I won't even walk thru a parking lot with cars in it if I've been drinking anymore
To an individual who enjoys his/her freedom and liberties, prison sucks :nada: and blows :puke: . Its definitely a deterent!

But to the career criminal it's a vacation home :confused:

NoBull

Fastguy;78339 wrote: I would bet top dollar that you have Rusch Limbaugh set on your radio and you broke the knob off.

You know what my mission in life is ................ to change the world from a conservative mentality to being liberal minded one republican at a time .

By the end of the day at Beaverun, :box: I'll have you proudly confessing that you voted for Obama!
:hand: :D :popcorn:

Fastguy

NoBull,

If your attending Beaverun, you too can be included in the Republican conversion process :spank:

;)

vanbreezy

I find it very troubling that people feel there is no such thing as paying your debt to society. You can boycott the Eagle for signing Vick if you like ,but to think he shouldn't have gotten a chance to earn a living is ridiculous. I agree with Fatboy his arrest didn't stop dogfighting. Hunters feel that Dogfighting is inhumane,but their have no problem shooting a defensless Deer at least the dog has a chance because he is fighting another dog(no i don't think dogfighting is ok) not a guntotting dude hiding in a tree stand yeah thats a fair fight. Why no boycotting of cock fights. The only reason dogfigthing got the attention was Vick's name got attach to it, that shit is still going on.

vanbreezy

Exactly my point where is the uproar, there is none but let a famous name be attached too it. Then you'll have boycotts Peta everyone coming out of the woodwork