Oil drain plug safety wire 07600RR

Fire929

I was drilling some holes in the 600rr today and was hoping someone could tell me what they safety wired the oil drain bolt to. The fill cap is easy and Honda even put a little tab to drill through there.

Would be great if someone could post up some pics of where they drilled. Thanks in advance.

snikwad

if you look on the block, you will see these little "tab" or lips sticking out, some even have a spot marked for drilling, kinda like some race plastics do.

thats what i did for my fill cap, and oil filter. On the drain plug i had forgot to drill one of these tabs while i had the exhaust off, so i juste wired my drain plug and filter together and then wired those to the block. I may change it this weekend tho.

ill see if i can find you a pic. on my 1000 there is one almost directly above the draim plug, on the block, not the oil pan.

snikwad

this is a F4 but you can see the lil tabs sticking out, you get the idea.
one look at them and you'll know that theyre clearly not gonna affect anything if you drill em.
If you have to think twice about it, youre looking at the wrong thing...

IMG_0806.jpg

Fire929

Thanks Rhon

I was hoping for a little tab closer to the bolt like the one on my 929 but I wll just use a longer piece of wire.

snikwad

yeah unfortunately we got these magnesium oil pans and theyre fairly tall, so just run that extra wire, unless you wanna tap a oil pan screw and wire it to that.

zangman

I bought some safety wire discs that give you points to wire to. You just pull a bolt out, slip this thin metal washer on it and then reinstall. It has a small tab sticking out that you can wire to. Gonna me at Road Atlanta next Friday? I've got a bunch of these.

snikwad

^ id like to see these, how do they stop the bolt from backing out.
Sounds like its just a washer, edumacate me please?

Twiztedjester55

The washers he's talking about are probably these, you put it under the bolt and then bend the tabs up around the head and the safety wiregoes through the hole in the larger tab. I bought some but have not had a chance to use them yet.
safetywashers.gif