Oil

Meat

Rob, thanks for posting that up.

I originally started testing my oil because I hadn't run into a single person that had tested their oil but EVERYONE knew exatly when to change their oil....by getting a sign from the oil gods, strippers, something. I stopped testing the oil in my race bike earlier this year. By all the oil analysis done, I should be able to go 10 track days/race days without changing the oil. I change at 6 to 8 days, depending on timing of oil chage and time to do it.

BTW: I go 10,000 miles in my diesel truck between oil changes and the oil is still in great shape.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Yeah, thanks Meat and Rob. Makes me feel more comfortable in my decision to change the oil in my trackbike about every 1000 miles, or about 6-10 trackdays. Hell, I used to do it just once per season, but that was when I only did 10-12 days.

Meat

HondaGalToo;161439 wrote: Hell, I used to do it just once per season, but that was when I only did 10-12 days.
Yep, my first season I changed my oil at the end of the season along with my tires. Those were the days! Now I am trying to get moonbeam's used oil (he changes every 2 track days) and anyone's Dunlop takeoffs that the cords aren't showing.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Meat;161441 wrote: Yep, my first season I changed my oil at the end of the season along with my tires. Those were the days! Now I am trying to get moonbeam's used oil (he changes every 2 track days) and anyone's Dunlop takeoffs that the cords aren't showing.
:haha:

trailmug

Meat;161433 wrote: I originally started testing my oil because I hadn't run into a single person that had tested their oil but EVERYONE knew exactly when to change their oil....by getting a sign from the oil gods, strippers, something.
I made a really crude guess that track time could perhaps be expected to be 4 times as hard on oil as aggressive street riding, but I agree, it wasn't any more scientific than anyone else's guesses. I hadn't seen analyses with 10 or more TDs on the oil, so it seemed worth the time and money to check on it (about the price of a "skipped" oil change). But yeah, I don't buy into thinking that track bikes have drastically different maintenance or lubrication requirements - they're being used squarely within their design intent, and as far as I can tell, Yamalube is not fancy oil.. On the warm and fuzzy side, Rotella T6 CJ-4 is now a JASO-MA oil.

Rick Johnson

10 Trackdays seems like alot on a oil change. Good to know the Rotella held up ok for that many days. I still change mine every 4 or every other race weekend because it's cheap insurance. As stated we run these bikes hard on the track.

denbsteph

Ok, from reading this thread, it appears that changing your oil every 10-12 track days is OK? as long as the oil is synthetic? Or is everyone being sarcastic? I'm thinking about running Yamalube and changing it every 3 track days. Anyone else pulling a similar maintenance? Thanks!!

Gorecki

denbsteph;226517 wrote: I'm thinking about running Yamalube and changing it every 3 track days. Anyone else pulling a similar maintenance? Thanks!!
Pretty close here, you should be okay with that. Only way to really tell is an oil lab test. But three should be fine.

cooker1

I have been running Rotella 15w40 in our HDs since they were new , wasn't even a ? about to run in my trackbike ! I change filter and oil about 3-5 TDs depending on temp - cooler spring days compared to hot summer days makes a difference .

denbsteph

Sounds good, I was running Ams Oil in my FZ1 but afetr about 2000 miles she would get to chattering, so I switched back to Yamalube and she is happy now. Yamalube is going to be the choice, I'll change it every three TD's along with the filter. Thanks for the input!!

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
I'm still comfortable changing mine every 6 or so track days, or just under/around the 1000 mile mark. Been doing this on my '07 gixxer since I bought it new in '07. Track only bike, no problems so far. I use motul 300V in the trackbike.

Oil type and change interval is something you'll get a thousand different opinions on!:)

Rick Johnson

denbsteph;226529 wrote: Sounds good, I was running Ams Oil in my FZ1 but afetr about 2000 miles she would get to chattering, so I switched back to Yamalube and she is happy now. Yamalube is going to be the choice, I'll change it every three TD's along with the filter. Thanks for the input!!
If you are only talking just three TD's on a oil change you should be fine to change the filter every other oil change if you want. You will only put maybe 175 to 200 miles on the bike in one track day if you do all 7 sessions. So thats about 600 on a oil change and 1200 miles on the filter. Thats not bad at all. I know filters are not expensive but really no need to change everytime since you will be changing the oil so often. Just an idea.

denbsteph

My train of thought is not so much about miles, but the high RPM abuse she will be taking. Don't know where I inherited that idea, but it just seems to make sense. Over thinking the issue perhaps? Once again, thanks!!

Rick Johnson

It seems to work great in my bikes. If you want to change the filter every oil change it easy and cheap enough for piece of mind. Also something I do that some don't is after I change the oil I check every nut and bolt I can get to, to ensure nothing is loose or any nuts or bolts has fallen off. It's a good idea to pop the tank up and check under there also. While you have it up look over all the electrical connections as well. Only takes me about maybe an hour and it gives me piece of mind on the track. Just another thought.

denbsteph

Rick Johnson: Another piece of sound advice, thanks!! If your going to get to know your bike, you might as well check her nuts out. LOL, I think.

Blueberry

denbsteph;226547 wrote: My train of thought is not so much about miles, but the high RPM abuse she will be taking. Don't know where I inherited that idea, but it just seems to make sense. Over thinking the issue perhaps? Once again, thanks!!
You're likely wasting perfectly good oil. Every person that has done the oil testing concludes that the idea of needing to change it every 3-4 track days is bogus. It's not even close. I do agree that changing it early is cheap insurance but adding in more than 100% safety factor is just not necessary. The high rpm's are not abuse; it's running the bike as it was designed. Just my 2 cents... :)

Meat

I really am rather baffled by this thread. I wasn't going to jump in but I am thoroughly perplexed why anyone would think about changing their oil based on anything other than oil analysis. Bikes are different, abilities are different, etc. but somehow changing oil on a whim, rather than backed up by analysis is the way to go.

And yes, you can always make the point that changing more often won't hurt anything other than your bank account. But, why not find out what your oil has left in it when you are throwing it away? You are throwing away oil that might have 15 track days left on it, or maybe it has zero. You just don't know.

There is some underground oil based religion that is out there.