opinions needed

steve gould

Im looking at a 2007 DRZ 400 sm. Ported head, filter and yosh exhaust. Stock suspension. Would it be enough to ride Patriot? I heard the stock suspension aint so great either.

noobinacan

Sorry, I won't ride a supermoto anywhere ,but at a dedicated supermoto or a gokart track or in a twisty hill climb.

PawPaw

That's what I ride at Patriot, straight away speed not as good as larger supermotos but really fun in the curves. I replaced the springs in mine for my fat butt handles great. Full Yosh Ti race exhaust, 39 mm flat slide carb, snorkel and filter cover opened up, 2 tooth smaller rear sprocket. Still won't keep up with CasterTroy's RM or anything else in the straights :banghead:

Otto Man

John
Control Rider
It should run fairly decent with the headwork and other small stuff done. You got to keep in mind that it's still not a full blown racing 4 stroke. My buddy had a fairly well built DRZ, and my KTM 525 (100% stock) would still blow him out of the water without trying.

I think you being at the CR level, you shouldn't have much of a problem - I wouldn't put it much different than a CR on a 600 trying to keep up with a drag racer on a 1000. You'll just get 'em in the corners anyways. :D

noobinacan

steve gould;257021 wrote: VIR has super moto days at the kart track for like 50 bucks a day. Thought it might be fun.
That's probably the only place I'd run it. Maybe patriot but you'd get bored I think.
keep in mind, the DRZ is a heavier bike too compared to other 450 MX converts.

My only thing with supermoto when I owned one was that there is not much around to ride it at. VIR kart/supermoto wasn't there and only place I could ride it was at CMP kart track. and that only at SEMRA racing events.

PawPaw

Chikn Munky said CMP had opened the cart track up to Supermoto's for track days, I believe they had one this past Sunday. I do not believe it was a SEMRA race either just open track time. You can check them out.

moto1320

I just sold my DRZ. Clockwork reliable and a blast to kick around town on. I think you're right in waiting for a 450 for the track though, DRZ's aren't going anywhere fast without a couple grand put in them.

Motofun352

Control Rider
Dunno, a friend has a 400 and he rides the sh*t outta it. It does have the E model carb and has had the motor "worked" with an oversize piston, also an exhaust mod....come to think of it, the suspension has been upgraded too.....never mind, wait on the 450....;)