opinions on putnam

jason8887

well, with the demise of the mid central group I am now looking at tracks further from home. Putnam looks to be not too far from home, can anybody weigh in on how the track is? It looks fun and tight, good length too. How's the surface? the facilities? the amenities?

Thanks for the input
Jason

Trent1098S

Blackhawk would be closer to you, wouldn't it?

Anyway Putnam has tons of grip (except maybe Turn 4, it's got grip but it's off camber). Tons of run-off everywhere except for the last corner. Some elevation change in turn 8, it's a horseshoe where you're braking downhill, and driving out up hill, lots of fun. Overall a very fun track that's very "flowing", which is great for motorcycles.

Don't forget to flip your rear tire between days to even the wear out. Putnam eats tires.

There's no camping at the track but there's a campground not far away, and a Holiday Inn about a mile past that.

Bathrooms are .. well, they flush. Sometimes.

jimmeigs

I never miss a Putnam weekend. Everytime I go through turn one I think I could have gone faster.....Putnam and Blackhawk are my two favorite tracks.

Sklossmonster

Putnam was the first track I ever rode on a motorcycle, and it's still one of my favorites.

Fast, flowing, and fun. Definitely worth the trip.

phoenix

is it a track that you will be sore after one day?

Similar story to Jason8887, looking at maybe trying to get to Putnam, and maybe for a weekend if I make that far of a trip. I usually just do one day of a weekend (money the limitting factor). Some tracks I can do a weekend, no problem. Iowa Speedway, well, I'm sore after the first session. I could be doing something wrong, but that's a different thread.

PETERS

^^^ Basically what everyone else said and it's usually one of the less expensive tracks on the list.

some guy #2

Putnam is a blast! There's no camping (but one is close by), no showers, no electricity, you can't get into the park before 6 or 7 and you have to leave by 6. You can leave your stuff over night, the bathrooms are decent enough, and it's a smaller facility so walking anywhere isn't a problem.

The track is very fun (fast and flowing), great grip, and lots of run off with no walls (except getting on the front straight). Seeing how it's usually the cheapest weekend (and about an hour from my house :)) I go just abut every weekend they have scheduled.

j_fuggin_t

Sklossmonster;119863 wrote: Putnam was the first track I ever rode on a motorcycle, and it's still one of my favorites.

Fast, flowing, and fun. Definitely worth the trip.
+1 first i was ever on & i'll do my best to do EVERY weekend there i can

JayhawkInDC

Loved it! Most fun track I think I have ridden. Road America and NJMP-Thunderbolt are quality, technical tracks, but Putnam is straight up fun!

gkotlin

Rory,

Putnam ins't to bad. There is a long front straight for you to rest on. There are only 2 left turns, so you don't move around to much. It's pretty flowing, so there really is only one heavy braking zone and that is into turn 7.

If you come out, be sure to come by and say hello!

jason8887

Kind of a bummer they don't let you camp at the track. Security reasons I suppose. I'll see if I make it out there. It will definately be on the list of 'wants'

Jason

bfolkerts

Even with the somewhat long drive - putnam is definitely a track i try to make it to at least once a year!

Easy to learn - tough to master! It's very flowing - similar to Hastings where there aren't a lot of heavy braking - just one corner into the next, etc etc.

The surface is amazing! For however old the track is - it is one of the smoothest, grippiest tracks I've been to.

My only complaint...the locals are crazy fast...makes me feel really slow

We'll have to plan an Iowa crew trip out there!

I love Putnam! Thankfully it is only 1 hour from my house and 15 minutes from my mom's house.

The only two tracks I've been to that I like better are Mid-Ohio and Barber.

Mid-Ohio for the track layout (definitely a track that rewards the proper line) and Barber for the facility, track layout and Museum.

RandyO

I have finally ridden a few other tracks and I still like Putnam the best (most miles on it).. The track lends itself to "rider" improvement rather than trying to figure out the track.. Nothing like Barber where you gotta memorize 17 turns and a dozen elevation changes etc...

and they got a good cheeseburger... :)