Paddock Canopy?

MB3

So after two wet events it is clear that hiding under the tailgate of my car isnt going to cut it anymore. Can anyone reccomend a good canopy? It seems that the EZ Ups are popular. Which one? Steel or aluminum? Any shape better in the wind? Order online or available through NESBA? Just get something at Walmart? Any advice and experience is appreciated?

lemondrop

Professional Asphalt Surfer
Walmart First-up is the cheapest and has withstanded many track days for me

Obviously steel is going to be better in the wind (heavier)...but can still lift off on a windy day...

i just use the First-Up and gas cans....haven't had a problem and i think is nearly 1/2 the price of the EZ-up

Yeah, I have to get a canopy as well. I felt like i was the only one on Saturday who didn't have one. My whack tent kept flying away.

lemondrop

Professional Asphalt Surfer
Olde English;56304 wrote: Yeah, I have to get a canopy as well. I felt like i was the only one on Saturday who didn't have one. My whack tent kept flying away.
hahahaha.....you arent cool til ya have a canopy

Drewbie

lemondrop;56303 wrote: Walmart First-up is the cheapest and has withstanded many track days for me

Obviously steel is going to be better in the wind (heavier)...but can still lift off on a windy day...

i just use the First-Up and gas cans....haven't had a problem and i think is nearly 1/2 the price of the EZ-up
+1... We have used ours for two years and it has held up great! $80 or so I think it was.

Main thing is to NOT leave it up in the wind..that is the best way to destroy a canopy in seconds.

ridelater

canopy have a very short life span no matter what brand. so go with the cheapest. i would go threw about 3 a year. if u have the room to carry it those car port work and last (10x20)

Joe Vital

sams/costco has e-z ups for a decent price. we had one get torn up and went back to sams to ask about repair costs and they told to just bring it back and they would replace it! we did and they did.

rk97

lol - i bought my first-up earlier this season, but everyone i've pitted with has been so well prepared, the only use its seen has been as dead-weight to anchor another canopy :p

FWIW - check your local Walmart before buying online. i found it online for $89 with free shipping, then noticed it AT walmart for $79... $10 isn't the end of the world, but it's something in a hobby this expensive.

ganglo

I've got the EZUP Dome II. Stands up great in the wind/rain due to the flexible roof supports, but they're a bit misleading on it being a 10' x 10', that's the footprint, but the roof is only something like 7' x 7'.

Of all of the canopies that I've seen twisted up in the trash after events, I think most have been the QuickShades brand.

EngineNoO9

My EZ-UP has lasted through plenty of trackdays, camping trips, tailgates etc and has yet to fail me. Not sure why people are saying wind will destroy them. That thing is great!

gammagoblin

NOT happy with my QuickShade :argh:

It's bent up in several places from being in the wind, partially my fault it for leaving it out it seems but it never came off as being sturdy. The top is a 3 section design made to let hot air rise out but it doesn't do anything but be a pain in the ass. One of the pins broke off taking it down after VIR thursday, and it's always been a hassle to take up and down compared to other people's canopys. Seems like a waste but I think I have to just trash it and get a different one before Summit.

First up from Wal-Mart in May of '07, been using it at the track and for a couple of family events each year since and it has held up nicely. They key is in how you anchor it to the ground in windy conditions. If you anchor it at the bottom, there is less chance of it being damaged by wind. If you are tying things to the upper part of the frame, you are adding weight to the frame that it was never intended to support.

Jeff

Meat

I would suggest one with a simple truss system. The ones that have tons of truss members (complex design) don't seem to fair too well in the wind.

This is the one that I have used for 2.5 years. I have had it in the wind many times and it holds up well. It has a thick canvas and simple truss design. Got it at Costco. Don't remember what I paid, but I just remember it being pretty reasonable. I did not see it on their website but I did see it at my local store a couple weeks ago.

http://www.caravancanopies.com/shelters/canopies/classic.asp?sm=Classic

The roof trusses are also strong enough to hang the heaviest of suits on.

Now I am not saying this is the very best there is. I am just relaying my experience with it.

hank

I have a 10x20 Caravan and a cheap-o 10x10 WalMart special. TBH, the 10x20 is sweet, but it is heavy and takes up a lot of room. I also bought side panels for each of them which are nice to have.

MB3

Thanks for all the responses. I'm gonna check Wallyworld and Sams before plunking down big dollars on an EZ Up online.

jfeagin

If you just gotta be different (like me! :D), take a look at a Coleman. Mine's bigger than 10x10, but it has five legs so isn't square. Holds up very well in wind with a top vent system. I got it on sale, but regular was only about $100.

Motofun352

Control Rider
I bought an EZ-up 8 years ago with steel frame. It's beginning to lose it's paint and rust on the slide legs but I've carted all over the country. Can't remember the cost, deffinately