Pickup Truck Rental to Transport Bike?

blueninja1

Hi all,

Me and my dad are looking into renting a pickup truck to haul our bikes to the track for an upcoming trackday. What is the best pickup to rent in terms of bed size, ease of use, etc. in order to haul 2 bikes (R1 and zx6r). Also what customizations would have to be made to be able to safely strap down the bikes. I've only secured a bike by myself once and I used a UHAUL trailer (which did not include a wheel chock). I just propped the front wheel against the front of the trailer as securely as I could, put it in gear and secured the tie downs as best I could. Ideally I would like something a little more secure just to be on the safe side. The bike was secure the entire way and I looked back often just to make sure. Does leaving the bike in gear cause much stress on the transmission during the trip as the bike rocks back and forth?

Proposed customizations to the bed of the truck should be easily undoable (so as to not damage the truck). What would be involved and how much would it cost to buy the items needed? In terms of tools I think I have just about everything needed to get the job done thanks to a nice set I have accrued while maintaining my dirtbike (T-handles, screwdrivers, hex wrenches, pliers, hammer, etc). Also, we're looking into an extended cab to bring along my sisters and mom. Any recommended trucks that have all of the above? Is there any rental company you recommend over another for this purpose? Much appreciated.

-Brendon

bluers

I rent a Uhaul motorcycle trailer, but it's only for one bike. I want a trailer, but my neighborhood doesn't allow trailers to be stored on the property so I'd have to rent a spot at a storage unit. At $15 a day it's a good deal for me. They do all the maintenance and I just use it when I need it. They have larger trailers that I'm sure you could make work.

blueninja1

I don't have a car. Will probably be doing 2 trackdays this year on my street bike. A truck with extended cab would be perfect to bring the whole family (on this particular occasion). That's pretty much why I wanted to work with those constraints.

I considered Uhaul but the facility near me does not have the proper motorcycle trailer which they advertise and as stated, only supports one bike really. But thanks for the suggestions.

z064life

blueninja1;267043 wrote: I don't have a car. Will probably be doing 2 trackdays this year on my street bike. A truck with extended cab would be perfect to bring the whole family (on this particular occasion). That's pretty much why I wanted to work with those constraints.

I considered Uhaul but the facility near me does not have the proper motorcycle trailer which they advertise and as stated, only supports one bike really. But thanks for the suggestions.
oh..I thought you were going to kick some track ass this year http://tracktalk.nesba.com/showpost.php?p=265327&postcount=13

Anyway...you could try http://www.harborfreight.com/motorcycle-stand-wheel-chock-97841.html secure them in and then secure them to the mounts on the truck. No good way for 2 bikes in a truck without drilling into the bed to have a center tiedown.

blueninja1

The chocks look pretty good and have pretty good reviews. I was worried that I would have to do some drilling (which is a no go for a rental), darn.

z064life

secure the bikes to the chock with the built in tiedowns..then tie each to the bed tiedown locations...it should work..no drilling. not optimal though

matt2212

Blue,

you will need

1 4x8 3/4" thick piece of plywood

1 4' 2x4 or 2x6

2 cheep harbor freight wheel chocks

4 eye bolts with 2 nuts each

screw the 2x4 to the front edge of the plywood

attach the wheel chocks with carriage bolts from the bottom

on the outside edge of the front 2x4 in about 2" drill for the eyebolts on the bottom drill a countersink hole so the bottom of the bolt is recessed sandwich the boars between the 2 nuts

repeat in the center

slide the plywood in the bed of the truck, load and strap the motorcycles to the eye bolts and the front tie downs of the truck

now you have a removable skid that holds your bikes and can easily be transfered from truck to truck

i will draw and post in a few minutes if you would like

blueninja1

That would be awesome matt. I am a very visual person. Sounds like a nice side project to keep me busy as well. Looking forward to the illustration.

blueninja1

matt, this is a great design. I have a few questions though. why does each eye bolt use 2 nuts, wouldn't I just need to secure each eye bolt by tightening one nut on the bottom? Also just curious as to why you recommend using the carriage bolt as opposed to a flat-head countersunk bolt to secure the chocks to the plywood. Is it not thick enough? The illustration was very helpful.

matt2212

blue,

what i forgot to mention is that you will countersink from the bottom a recessed hole for the eye bolts

the reason being, you are in a rental-truck and bolts coming thought the bottom would stick down 1" or more and damage the truck bed also you want the 'skid' to sit flat on the truck and not suspended by 2 or 3 little bolts

that is why you will sandwich the eye bolts, thread the bottom one so the nut sits in the countersink and then tighten from the top, carriage bolts are rounded on the bottom, so no gouging and not little stilts just tighten from the top.

blueninja1

I see, so the nuts on each eye bolt will be torqued against eachother and also prevent the eye bolt from sticking out at the bottom?

betarace

motorcycle-hauler.jpg

honda-carrying-honda_600x0w.jpg

538927_449372205088568_790103889_n.jpg

funny-motorcycle-towing.jpg

motorcycle_trailer_accident.jpg

matt2212

blueninja1;267064 wrote: I see, so the nuts on each eye bolt will be torqued against eachother and also prevent the eye bolt from sticking out at the bottom?
Yes and hold everything tight

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blueninja1

Okay awesome. Are there any trucks in particular that you recommend? Also what are the approximate dims of the bed? I'll have to compile a list of all the things I will have to order tonight. I think a nice electric drill is in order for the woodwork. Is it okay if I PM you later tonight when I get home, just to make sure I'm not forgetting anything.

matt2212

blueninja1;267071 wrote: Okay awesome. Are there any trucks in particular that you recommend? Also what are the approximate dims of the bed? I'll have to compile a list of all the things I will have to order tonight. I think a nice electric drill is in order for the woodwork. Is it okay if I PM you later tonight when I get home, just to make sure I'm not forgetting anything.
The advantage of this is that all truck beds are made to fit a piece of plywood, it is an industry standard in full sized trucks and the wheel wells lock it in side to side

You are renting a truck so beggar's can't be choosers if you get what I'm saying

a few drill bits and any variable speed electric drill will work a few wrenches and less than 30 min once you have everything

for the countersink nuts and the wheel chock I would use a washer and lock washer combo under the nut or a washer and a nut with a nylon no slip washer in it you may need a 3/4" paddle bit to drill the counter sinks and some 1 5/8" screws to secure the plywood to the 2x4/6

Brandon,

Do me a favor, for your return to the track rideing make more friends than last time. I am sure you have grown, but you crossed a lot of good people who would have helped you a lot.