Pilot Power Race Q.

tufty

I'm trying a pair of Michelin Pilot Power Race tires this weekend at Barber and my question is how much scrubbing in will these tires take? 1 lap, 2 laps, 3??

I notice that they aren't as slick as new road tires, but still I'd just as soon not lowside my bike through a stupid mistake.

Can anyone give me the benefit of their experience?

P.S. I'm not running warmers.

sobottka

none but they do like to be hot so give them a lap to heat up every session. btw the correct pressure for these tires is 22/rear 32 or 31 front (depends on the date code).

motogypsy

the pressures listed are for the Power Race tires...
the Pilot Powers run at higher PSI....around 30...
there are no tires that are Pilot Power Race....
so just make sure which tires you have before settting the pressures...
also i believe all new tires need to be scrubbed in to remove any mold release
lots of people end up on there heads not scrubbing in tires to remove the slippery residue
left on from the factory...

duane

sobottka

gypsy- do as you please but race tires dont need scrubbed in, racers commonly line up on a new tire with no hot lap- as i have also done.

Tboy

I had my pilot powers ct2 for two yrs and had them on the track on the 25th at njmp monday. I was running 32 in the rear 31 in the front. By the 4th session I felt the front slip out alittle and made the decsion not to run the rest of the day, not too sure if that helps you any. I was looking to see if any one was runnin pilots that day but didnt find anyone. So needless to say im gonna try corsa 3 next.

JASON748

I've been running Power races since they came out and Pilot Races before that. Like Rob wrote, Power races are good from the go, AS LONG AS THEY'RE HOT. Cold Power Races are slippery tires, very slipperly. I've "ejected" myself more than once because of cold tires, but never becuase of I haven't "scrubbed" a tire. In fact todays modern mold release agents have long since evaporated before the tire even hit's the tire distributor.

If you're not running warmers, it's going to take a couple laps at a decent pace to get them up to temp. The more, and harder you accerlerate and barke (in a straight line) the faster they will warm up. I would HIGHLY recommened that if you want to start running Race tires you invest in warmers, you'll get more out of your tires and have more fun from theget go.

west

[Congratulations.... you turned them into hockey pucks...

QUOTE=Tboy;11931]I had my pilot powers ct2 for two yrs and had them on the track on the 25th at njmp monday. I was running 32 in the rear 31 in the front. By the 4th session I felt the front slip out alittle and made the decsion not to run the rest of the day, not too sure if that helps you any. I was looking to see if any one was runnin pilots that day but didnt find anyone. So needless to say im gonna try corsa 3 next.[/QUOTE]