PIRC 9/17-9/18

Group structure for the 9/17-9/18 weekend (choose up to 2)

• 4 groups, 15 minute sessions

• 3 groups, 20 minute sessions

• 2 groups, 30 minute sessions

• Bacon (I.e. I don't care, I just love the track!)

Results are only viewable after voting.

eskimo

Slow guy on a fast bike
EvolveGT's management is floating the idea of running just 2 groups on these days, giving 30 minute sessions per group, but wanted to get some feedback on what everyone thought of the idea.. Feel free to comment to explain your choice.

Looks like this may be the last PIRC date of the year!

wmhjr

Grandpa
Control Rider
Really don't think I'd be crazy about mixing speed differential and passing into just two groups. I can imagine a 40mph plus speed differential in several sections of that course, and either a congo line or some folks getting passed in ways that they might not be comfortable with. I could certainly be wrong.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Depends on the number of sign ups you have, I would think. We only do that when number of riders is very low, so that the max number allowed per class isn't exceeded. I'm not sure how many we allow per group at Pittrace.
I want to guess 50 max on course at a time, but I may be wrong, one of our directors would know.

wmhjr

Grandpa
Control Rider
Judy, you're right and good point. I was going under the assumption that as usual, PittRace will be get a lot of sign-ups.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Judy, you're right and good point. I was going under the assumption that as usual, PittRace will be get a lot of sign-ups.
Yup, agreed. If the number of sign ups is the usual, impossible to run two groups. Unless you're going to lessen the number of allowed sign ups up front.

tdelegram

Control Rider
Agree, although my vote doesn't carry much weight, this should be #'s dependent. My experience is when this has happened in the past we went with the lowest groups passing rules putting the responsibility on the more advanced riders to alter what they are doing. IE outside only passes in a mixed I/A group. In my opinion if we always err on the side of safety we can't go wrong.

mrbrettbaker

Yes, Rich didn't state it, but sign ups will dictate this. We are more wondering that if the numbers were low due to weather or all you riders who love Pitt getting too much of it this weekend, would you guys like 30 minute sessions. How it split again would be based on numbers in each group. Really just trying to get opinions from folks who know and love Pittrace. Safety is and always will be the first consideration.
Brett Baker
Training Director
EvolveGT

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
If the numbers dictate it, 2 groups can be fun, and allows for a ton of track time. As Tom mentioned, the passing rules of the combined groups are that of the lower group.

I wish I could make it, but I have a prior commitment. Never get enough Pittrace!!

mpusch

Micah
I'm a frequent PIRC'er. For whatever my opinion is worth, I'd stick with the 3 groups unless it's pretty empty out there. In addition to the speed differential stuff, if the weather is anything like the last few weekends, anything longer than 20 minutes can get pretty sweaty out there. I realize mid-Sep isn't July, but it's been warm!

I'm looking forward to this event...wrist will finally be good enough to get back out there!

Hix25

I am a novice rider ( a very slow one at that ) that is thinking of going to this event, my 1st with Evolve GT after 3x with N2. If there was only going to be two groups I would be hesitant to sign up. I think the speed and skill differential would be too big. This past Saturday at Pitt Race in novice class there were some questionable passes going on. The CR'S even made mention of the issue during our afternoon meeting and I believe it was due to having a full house with a big gap between guys who were on the edge of being bumped to intermediate and the guys like me who ride in the back of novice.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Motofun352

Control Rider
Questionable passes unfortunately occur in spite of everything we do to control. As a new rider the very best thing you can do is maintain your line so that the passer can predict your path. A bad pass is not your fault. If it suddenly causes you to alter your line then it's no good. Getting accustomed to having bikes near you at speed takes time and trust. We try hard to manage this issue but do not see everything so it's OK to let us or the director know if you have any details. Track safety is our first priority.

Hix25

I understand. It didn't ruin my day by any means. Like I said it was talked about in the afternoon and brought to everyone's attention, that's all you could ask for. Basically my point was that, in my opinion, the gap in rider skills could have been a reason for it. If Evolve decides to combine groups it might possibly create a similar situation. But then again I am still relatively new to the track, so what do I know? Haha.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Motofun352

Control Rider
Trust me, we were all there at one point in time. Perhaps you should get on the Evolve website and ask how they would do it. If I remember, the last time I saw this done was with old Nesba group and they invoked the rules of the lower group for the combined session. Doesn't stop a bone head but at least you know what to expect. Good luck.

mpusch

Micah
Trust me, we were all there at one point in time. Perhaps you should get on the Evolve website and ask how they would do it. If I remember, the last time I saw this done was with old Nesba group and they invoked the rules of the lower group for the combined session. Doesn't stop a bone head but at least you know what to expect. Good luck.

It was done at NJMP last year when the "hurricane" came through and rained one of the days out. Combined intermediate and advanced with the rules of intermediate (IIRC). No issues that day due to the combination (that I knew of), but it was also a pretty small group of people.

wmhjr

Grandpa
Control Rider
Actually, if you're an N2 Elite member you're far better off making sure you sign up through N2.