Pirelli Diablo Superbike Pro Slicks

lbsaxman

Control Rider
Has anyone rode these tires ... Pirelli Diablo Superbike Pro Slicks ... Any feedback would be appreciated .

Thunderace

BIG JIM
Control Rider
I've got a set mounted up and ready to try out. I'll let you know after we run Summit Point next month. I hope they are what the web is making them out to be. A CR at NJMP told me that he got ten days out of a set while CR'ing I and riding A.

TDavis920

I had a new set I used at Barber last weekend and loved them but I'm a B level rider and was on a track bike I just purchased over the winter so my feedback probably is not that valuable to you. I looked them over this weekend as I was going over the bike and they look perfect for now.

mike_21

Control Rider
Jim,

you gonna run warmers on them? I heard they heat cycle really well and you can run them without warmers.

JohnS

Thunderace;182677 wrote: I've got a set mounted up and ready to try out. I'll let you know after we run Summit Point next month. I hope they are what the web is making them out to be. A CR at NJMP told me that he got ten days out of a set while CR'ing I and riding A.
holy cow, 10 days! that is my whole season

seatec

mike_21;182745 wrote: Jim,

you gonna run warmers on them? I heard they heat cycle really well and you can run them without warmers.
Cycle world did write up about them and it was favorable. 50 heat cycles and no decernable hardening. I'm going to try them

Thunderace

BIG JIM
Control Rider
mike_21;182745 wrote: Jim,

Michael, where the hell have you been? I figured the money vein popped in your head and you weren't coming back out. Did you sell off everything yet?

I will run warmers on any tire except for rains. It's just simple insurance when you first go out. I never go out the gate guns blazin', but I'd rather not have a cold tire crash on the first lap.

mike_21

Control Rider
The Duc and the toyhauler are out of storage and ready, The R6, 125, and the ct70 are gone in an attempt to simplify things but I'm just really creating space until something "interesting" comes along. I'll be back in May!

Canali

I ran them at Thunderbolt last week on my R6 with no warmers as one of the faster I group dudes. Over the weekend they were awesome just scary when I went out first session Saturday morning, 30 something degrees, no warmers, and not scuffed in yet. I had to check my underwear when I came back in from that one :eek:. They've got a little cold tear but I have no reason to think they won't last many days like people have been saying. One or two lap warm up and they were ready for whatever I could throw at em.

Thunderace

BIG JIM
Control Rider
mike_21;182831 wrote: The Duc and the toyhauler are out of storage and ready, The R6, 125, and the ct70 are gone in an attempt to simplify things but I'm just really creating space until something "interesting" comes along. I'll be back in May!
Well, I will be the first one to say it's been too long since we've seen each other. I doubt you'llbe heading to Summit next month, but it would be nice to see you again.

slowpoke

My experience is they are awesome to a slower to mid A pace. Wear is ridiculous and they heat up quickly.

I'm looking forward hearing how big Jim does on them. My guess is he'll spin them up pretty good as his pace on that literbike since he runs towards the front of A. You giant, fast bastard

Thunderace

BIG JIM
Control Rider
slowpoke;182865 wrote: You giant, fast bastard
The first thing that went through my head as I read that was "You giant, FAT bastard". I was ready to drive up to Philly and have a couple of choice words for you! Then I realized it said FAST. Needless to say I got a good chickle out of that one.

fitz

chriscanali;182851 wrote: Over the weekend they were awesome just scary when I went out first session Saturday morning, 30 something degrees, no warmers, and not scuffed in yet. I had to check my underwear when I came back in from that one :eek:..
lol, I told you it was bad! :haha: Hope you brought an extra pair of undies.

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/947/Motorcycle-Video/Pirelli-Superbike-PRO-Slick-Tire-Review-Video.aspx

He laughs as he says "They're a little slick at first".

Do a search there is quite a few posts about these tires.

Personally I like them much better than Hyper-Street tires, just be real carefull scrubing them in. :)

fitz

Canali

fitz, yea I kept your advice in mind and had seen that moto usa review too... all of which probably saved a crash. I almost lost the front on one of the first times around turn 9 but it didn't go all the way thankfully.

fitz

chriscanali;182983 wrote: fitz, yea I kept your advice in mind and had seen that moto usa review too... all of which probably saved a crash. I almost lost the front on one of the first times around turn 9 but it didn't go all the way thankfully.
I actually just saw that vid today when I was looking at the 2011 Shootout. Wish I saw it a year ago, I'm normally careful on new tires but darn. Every bit of lean angle was an experience.

Glad you pulled through other than your shorts. :D

fitz

Macon663

Yea, any tire that lasts 10 tds can't have the best grip. Its just impossible. The reviews sound good tho!

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Macon663;182989 wrote: Yea, any tire that lasts 10 tds can't have the best grip. Its just impossible. The reviews sound good tho!
But they do! Well, I haven't used those, but rather the now-discontinued Dragon Supercorsa Trackday Pro, which is the same compound, but on the Dragon Carcass with the same sipe pattern. Better grip then the hypersports, not as good as a full-on race DOT (although I've never used a DOT race...yet..to be able to compare for myself). They easily lasted me 8 days, probably could have gotten a couple more.

Mikey75702

Macon663;182989 wrote: Yea, any tire that lasts 10 tds can't have the best grip. Its just impossible. The reviews sound good tho!
Tire wear is subjective.... my buddy got 11+ days last year out of a set of 211 gpa's. He said the last day they were sliding a good bit, but he was still keeping up in the I group with them on.. so far I think I have 8 or 9 days on my set of pures.... I think tire wear really is a PERSONAL thing that varies greatly.

Matt H

Mikey75702;183010 wrote: Tire wear is subjective.... my buddy got 11+ days last year out of a set of 211 gpa's. He said the last day they were sliding a good bit, but he was still keeping up in the I group with them on.. so far I think I have 8 or 9 days on my set of pures.... I think tire wear really is a PERSONAL thing that varies greatly.
eh, if by "personal" you mean the wear rate varies from rider to rider and bike to bike, sure. It does. Based on weight, power, suspension setup, pace, and even track to track as the surfaces change. But actual wear is wear. In general, you are always going to trade-off tire wear for tire life. Now, for many riders, if you are not using all of the available grip of a super-sticky tire, then you are just wearing through a tire faster than you need to (i.e. can use a tire that will last longer and not have your pace suffer at all).