pirelli dragon supercorsa pro

fclark00

How many days do people normally get out of the dragon supercorsa pro? I am only getting about 3 days and thats with flipping them. Is that normal?

I'm thinking about switching to the 211, power one, or the diable supercorsa. Do those tires last any longer? I'm on a 750 in A group and I don't have tire warmers.

Would warmers make the tires last any longer? Will slicks last any longer then the dot race?

slowpoke

I recently tried the Dragons and got 4 days out of them with flips. The Diablo is an awesome tire but doesn't last as long. Warmers help, but I don't think it will improve your tire wear any.

I've recently focused on improving my body position which has improved tire wear and tire life. Haven't run the new 211 GPAs, but I did try the 211 Ntech and it's an amazing tire that was good for four days w/out a flip. If i wasn't so lazy and flipped it in time, I could have gotten 2 more days out of it.

I have no experience w/ slicks.

NoBull

Same experience as Chris except maybe it only lasts 3 days on a 750 in the A group. It also depends on the track you ride. E.g. Lightning is extremely hard on the right side with the long kink and the long bowl turn.

A long time ago I was running slicks and they did last longer. Something about not having any treads to tear making them hold up a little better. It can be very hard to set your bike up for them though. You may have instability or you could have strange wear patterns. That's one reason I haven't gone back to them for a few years now.

In general I would say 3 days on a rear in the A group is pretty good.

fclark00

slowpoke;129993 wrote: I recently tried the Dragons and got 4 days out of them with flips. The Diablo is an awesome tire but doesn't last as long. Warmers help, but I don't think it will improve your tire wear any.

I've recently focused on improving my body position which has improved tire wear and tire life. Haven't run the new 211 GPAs, but I did try the 211 Ntech and it's an amazing tire that was good for four days w/out a flip. If i wasn't so lazy and flipped it in time, I could have gotten 2 more days out of it.

I have no experience w/ slicks.
Thanks. Is the diablo that much better then the dragons grip wise? I really want to try them but for what they cost I'd rather stick with the dragons if they aren't that much better. What kinds of things can you do differently with body position to improve tire wear?

fclark00

NoBull;129995 wrote: Same experience as Chris except maybe it only lasts 3 days on a 750 in the A group. It also depends on the track you ride. E.g. Lightning is extremely hard on the right side with the long kink and the long bowl turn.

A long time ago I was running slicks and they did last longer. Something about not having any treads to tear making them hold up a little better. It can be very hard to set your bike up for them though. You may have instability or you could have strange wear patterns. That's one reason I haven't gone back to them for a few years now.

In general I would say 3 days on a rear in the A group is pretty good.
I'm wondering if maybe there is something wrong with the suspension too. My tires are getting shredded and cupped. I know the sag is right but maybe its something with the rebound of compression. I get wavy shredding pattern on the rear. Its not consistently straight on the contact area but wavy.

slowpoke

fclark00;129996 wrote: Thanks. Is the diablo that much better then the dragons grip wise? I really want to try them but for what they cost I'd rather stick with the dragons if they aren't that much better. What kinds of things can you do differently with body position to improve tire wear?
Diablo is similar to the Ntec and defintiely has more grip. I tried it for a race weekend and couldn't believe the difference, but it's an expensive tire. The Ntec has more grip and IMO is more durable w/ longer life.

as for body position, i took the YCRS recently and they focused on getting us off the bike more on turn entry and exit so we could be on the gas w/ the bike more upright. watch the video of hotlaps at Tbolt from YCRS and you'll see what I mean. By no means do I look like those guys, but that's the goal. They ran Q2s that were shagged so BP was critical.

sounds like you definitely have a suspension issue b/c my dragons/diablos/ntecs wear perfectly execpt at Summit Main w/ the new pavement.

gkotlin

fclark00;129996 wrote: Thanks. Is the diablo that much better then the dragons grip wise? I really want to try them but for what they cost I'd rather stick with the dragons if they aren't that much better. What kinds of things can you do differently with body position to improve tire wear?
If your a Pirelli guy, the SuperCorsaPro was the hot tire a few years ago. I don't think much development is going into those any longer. The TD (Trackday Tire) I forget the model name is available now as well. The Diablo SuperCorsa I believe is the current DOT race tire. It's development has made big gains in the last year. The most recent ones are supposedly fabulous. More grip and more life then the traditional SuperCorsa Pro.

Our partner in Dunlop also offers some great tires as well. The 209 has made some huge leaps in the last couple years. On my last bike, the Dunlop provided great feedback. I've not run the Ntec's yet, but those that have, rave about them for tons of grip and great life.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Just another thought/option, since you're not running warmers. The Dragon Supercorsa Pro is now available in a trackday compound. Good grip, lasts longer, no warmers needed. My impression is they are a step above the Diablo Corsa IIIs, but below the Dragon race tire.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
gkotlin;130005 wrote: If your a Pirelli guy, the SuperCorsaPro was the hot tire a few years ago. I don't think much development is going into those any longer. The TD (Trackday Tire) I forget the model name is available now as well. The Diablo SuperCorsa I believe is the current DOT race tire. It's development has made big gains in the last year. The most recent ones are supposedly fabulous. More grip and more life then the traditional SuperCorsa Pro.

Our partner in Dunlop also offers some great tires as well. The 209 has made some huge leaps in the last couple years. On my last bike, the Dunlop provided great feedback. I've not run the Ntec's yet, but those that have, rave about them for tons of grip and great life.
I heard that they did update the compounds for the race version of the Dragon Supercorsa Pro this year. Maybe not all new development, but some upgrades.

fclark00

slowpoke;130003 wrote: Diablo is similar to the Ntec and defintiely has more grip. I tried it for a race weekend and couldn't believe the difference, but it's an expensive tire. The Ntec has more grip and IMO is more durable w/ longer life.

as for body position, i took the YCRS recently and they focused on getting us off the bike more on turn entry and exit so we could be on the gas w/ the bike more upright. watch the video of hotlaps at Tbolt from YCRS and you'll see what I mean. By no means do I look like those guys, but that's the goal. They ran Q2s that were shagged so BP was critical.

sounds like you definitely have a suspension issue b/c my dragons/diablos/ntecs wear perfectly execpt at Summit Main w/ the new pavement.
Maybe the wear is related to summit main. I ran two days at Main and the tires were shredded. I ran a different set of dragons at thunderbolt for two days and they were fine. I still only get 3 days but they looked much better after thunderbolt then they did after two days at main. Thanks for the info.

fclark00

HondaGalToo;130007 wrote: Just another thought/option, since you're not running warmers. The Dragon Supercorsa Pro is now available in a trackday compound. Good grip, lasts longer, no warmers needed. My impression is they are a step above the Diablo Corsa IIIs, but below the Dragon race tire.
Where did you find the dragon in the race compound?

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
fclark00;130012 wrote: Where did you find the dragon in the race compound?
By race compound, I meant the SC1, SC2, as opposed to the new "trackday compound". The nesba trackday store sells them. I go through my local Pirelli distributor.

slowpoke

Fclark00 - if you're thinking of spending the extra scratch for the Diablos, I'd highly recommend you give the Ntecs a shot. Aside from being a NESBA sponsor, IMO, it's the best tire that i've run yet. Insane grip and very durable.

1up5down

Control Rider
Last year I ran the Pirelli Dragon's and Diablo's. The Diablo tire is the way to go if you are running Pirelli. This season I switched to the new Dunlop D211 GP-A tire. I'm getting awesome grip and tire life. The current set of "soft" compound have two 6 lap sprint race, 20 practice laps, a full trackday at Summit, half day at Mid Ohio, full SED day at VIR and a full day at Thunderbolt. Oh and they still have plenty of meat left!

Now I do run warmers, have Ohlins suspension and check my tire pressure relegiously! I'm very happy with my change as I only got 3 or 4 days out of my Pirelli's.

This is just my experience!

1up5down

Control Rider
my experience

Last year I ran the Pirelli Dragon's and Diablo's. The Diablo tire is the way to go if you are running Pirelli. This season I switched to the new Dunlop D211 GP-A tire. I'm getting awesome grip and tire life. The current set of "soft" compound have two 6 lap sprint race, 20 practice laps, a full trackday at Summit, half day at Mid Ohio, full SED day at VIR and a full day at Thunderbolt. Oh and they still have plenty of meat left!

Now I do run warmers, have Ohlins suspension and check my tire pressure relegiously! I'm very happy with my change as I only got 3 or 4 days out of my Pirelli's.

This is just my experience!

fclark00

slowpoke;130026 wrote: Fclark00 - if you're thinking of spending the extra scratch for the Diablos, I'd highly recommend you give the Ntecs a shot. Aside from being a NESBA sponsor, IMO, it's the best tire that i've run yet. Insane grip and very durable.
Cool, I might try those next. Thanks!

physicistkev

Control Rider
For what it's worth...

I used to run the DCIII's and had great success with them. I can run low 23's and 22's at Summit Main consistently on a set on my bike. I would get at least 2 full days then flip and another 2 days out of the rear tire. I ran a front for 11 days... and then changed only because I had purchased a second front that was just sitting there. That is an insane amount of time to get out of a set of tires, considering the aptitude of my machine.

I then switched to a Diablo Super Corsa pro rear, keeping the DCIII front. I could get about 2 days then flip and another day at Summit Main for the SC pro rear. Not great wear, but I did manage to get into the low 20's (20.07 to be precise) on the SC pro rear. Big confidence boost for me.

I am currently running a set of Dunlop Qualifiers (209) and I have to say I do not like them. These are not Q2's, NTEC's, 211's or the 209 GPA's. I am sure that those tires would be better performing than what I have experienced on the set that I currently have. The Qualifiers that I am running show very little wear and stand up to the abuse that I put to rear tires, but at a significant sacrifice of rear grip. I find that the bike moves, a lot. It's not unmanageable, but I do not have the grip of a set of DCIII's. They will last me a bunch of track days though. If you want to run a conservative pace, a 25 or higher on Summit Main then the Qualifiers will work great, a better pace and you are probably going to want a set of 209GPA's. Which should be good to a high teens pace.

As noted above the Dragon Super Corsa, not to be confused with the SC pro's referenced above as that was a Diablo Super Corsa, are the newer and supposedly better than the DCIII's. I say supposedly as I do not have any experience with them.

From a cost perspective, if you can run a 190 on the rear, buy the 3 tire deal (209gpa's)from trackdaystore.com. Unless you are really moving out there, top 2% of A group, you don't really need a stickier tire, that frankly wont last as long.

Myself, since I can't run a 190 rear, I will probably stick to the Pirelli, whether it be the DCIII or the newer Dragon Super Corsa, I am not sure.

If this post doesn't make sense, chalk it up to the alcohol as I am on vacation ;)

Kevin

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
FWIW, I now have 4 days on a set of the new Dragon Supercorsa Pro trackday compound. I'll easily get another 2 days out of them. Same as the number of days I could get out of the Diablo Corsa IIIs. I may even get more than 6 days...we'll see after the Beave in a couple of weeks! :D

LOrtega

Control Rider
HOLY CRAP YOU GUYS are only getting 3 or 4 days Damm I am really stretching the limits of these tires I am getting about 9 to 11 days when I was using those tires ......

Of course I ride them till they look like slicks but work good

vtjballeng

fclark00;130010 wrote: Maybe the wear is related to summit main. I ran two days at Main and the tires were shredded. I ran a different set of dragons at thunderbolt for two days and they were fine. I still only get 3 days but they looked much better after thunderbolt then they did after two days at main. Thanks for the info.
The uneven or waving rear described would most likely be a setup problem that was exacerbated by Main vs. TBolt.