Pit Bull TRS install question

RADAR Magnet

So I'm the proud owner of a new Pit Bull trailer restraint but I'm not the best when it comes to actually working on stuff and have a question about the installation. How tight should I tighten the bolts? It seems like it's something of a balancing act; tight enough to keep things from moving around but loose enough for the latches to slide in and out. Just how easily should the latches be able to slide in and out?

jeff15

Control Rider
I have mine fairly tight and the latches slide on and off easy. If I had to guess maybe 40 ft-lbs?

jcrich

It tells you in the install directions how much to torque the nylock nuts. Don't believe it is anywhere near 40 ft-lbs. if I remember correctly.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
I had to loosen mine a bit when I was finished, LOL. Wooden trailer floor, the latches wouldn't go on. My latches slip in fairly easily, but I use a rubber mallet to tap them out to remove them. I don't think you want a lot of play in them, but they should be pretty easy to take on and off. That reminds me...I'm thinking, even though they're lock nuts, it might be good to crawl under there at least once a year to make sure the bolts are still tight. Although, I guess if the latches become much easier/looser to install and remover that might be my clue!

cjunk23

jeff15;234862 wrote: I have mine fairly tight and the latches slide on and off easy. If I had to guess maybe 40 ft-lbs?
????????

What bolts are we talking about? The ones with the lil mushroom spacers are no where near 40 lbs. instructions say how much, don't remember at the moment. But been using them for pas year and a half and no problems.

RADAR Magnet

The instructions must have changed. Mine do not specify the torque. I may give them a call this week; otherwise will use a little trial and error to find the right tightness.

Meat

I just installed one about a month ago. There were torque specs in my kit. I don't remember what they were. It they were really low, like 15 ft-lbs or something like that.

jeff15

Control Rider
Like I said it was a guess on 40 ft-lbs I don't have my trailer near my to look what size bolts are in it. Sorry if I gave some wrong info

some guy #2

I just test fitted mine when I installed them. The latches can move a little bit when snapped in but no more than a couple mm's at the most.

lemondrop

Professional Asphalt Surfer
tight enough to hold the locking nutz on there. they are locking...so it shouldnt be much..just make sure your bolt goes into the nylon.

some guy #2

^After a couple hundred miles they can start to work themselves loose. I can check mine fairly easily (open trailer) so I check them often but I would look them over at least once a year.

erick1670

sorry for the tread jack, but if some know why ia that the 600rr 03-04 pins wont work on the 08's, are the axels diferent length or somethig ells...

thanks in advance for any input

rk97

erick1670;235136 wrote: sorry for the tread jack, but if some know why ia that the 600rr 03-04 pins wont work on the 08's, are the axels diferent length or somethig ells...

thanks in advance for any input
I just checked the microfiche, and the axles are the same part number for 2003 and 2008. There are two axle part numbers listed in 2003 though. The only difference is one is 42301-MEE-D00 and one is 42301-MEE-000 (three zeros. no D)

Maybe it changed between the 03 and 04 models?

With regard to the bolt torque and having the latches remove themselves easily, I would add in a quick $.02 that I learned the hard way. Make sure the washer on the under-side of the trailer is 100% un-obstructed. If it's even nudging something like a frame rail of the trailer, it will cock the bolt off to one side the slightest bit and make removing the latch damn near impossible. And no one wants to take a rubber mallet to their TRS.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
rk97;235141 wrote: And no one wants to take a rubber mallet to their TRS.
:dunno: I remove my latches with a rubber mallet all the time. Hasn't hurt a thing. Except if my foot gets in the way or somethin'. :D

erick1670

rk97;235141 wrote: I just checked the microfiche, and the axles are the same part number for 2003 and 2008. There are two axle part numbers listed in 2003 though. The only difference is one is 42301-MEE-D00 and one is 42301-MEE-000 (three zeros. no D)

Maybe it changed between the 03 and 04 models?
so why is it that pitbull sells or list different pins from 07-12 and some people mention that the 03-04 pins wont work on those years, reason I ask is b/c I may be selling my 03 to update to a 08 and since I have the 03 pins why buy those...:dunno:

greeny

fun fact for TRS fans: pitbull sells the mounting plates separate for pretty cheap, like $25 or so. it's nice to have a few mounted in different locations to give you some flexibility in terms of packing the trailer. that is all, continue.

lemondrop

Professional Asphalt Surfer
if you are precise enough, you can cut the mount plate and make it narrower by about an inch (so it just fits the restraint)