Pit Tools

mike27

Was looking at the bike today while navigating the snow blower around it trying to figure out what hand tools I will be needing to gather. Especially because I don't have many tools and my mechanic skills limit me to changing oil and brake pads. I figured asking you guys what you bring would be an easier route. I've read most of the posts on here in the last few months and feel I know some of you without even meeting any of you yet and a lot of you seem to be pretty organized people any help would be greatly appreciated. I have an '04 GSXR 750 if that makes any difference.

Motofun352

Control Rider
Where to start..............
I would make a list of the things you think you might do, then build my tool list around that...... OR, call Snap-on and order the deluxe tool box...:D

Ruhe52

Start by getting a basic kit. Then order the tools specific to your bike or in some cases make them.
Gixers have some specific crap look in the manual.
My favorite toy. Impact wrench electric, Get a real good torque wrench.
Cheap rug to wrench on. Keeps dropped bolts from bouncing away across the paddock.
I'm sure others will have more.

I bring just about every tool I own.

Thunderace

BIG JIM
Control Rider
I started out doing trackdays with a little Stanley tool box. Since then, I now have a multi-drawer rolling tool box, a three-drawer cabinet in the trailer and also tools hanging on the wall of the trailer. I love having everything I need to get my work done and many others who need something. However, there is almost always something that I need at the track that I do not have. Thankfully, there are other riders with more tools than myself to ask if I need something.

Here is a list of must haves that I keep with me:

Sockets (Regular set plus a couple big ones for the axles)
Ratchets (1/4 , 3/8 & 1/2)
Torque wrench
Open end wrenches
Screwdrivers
Allen wrenches
Crescent wrench
Drill
Drill bits
Hammer (You'd be very surprised how much it's needed)
Zip ties
Also, spare bolts, nuts and other fastners just in case.

That's a minimum in my opinion.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
To add a few things not mentioned that I find helpful (Thunderace's list is good!):

A pipe to serve as a breaker bar
Air pig (cheaper than a compressor to add air to your tires, no electric needed)
Blue loc-tite
Rubber mallet
Socket extensions
Oil filter wrench
Grease for the axles if you're going to remove the wheels
Pliers- regular, needle-nose
Flashlight
Ruler
Duct tape
Air gauge
Fluids...chain lube, oil, etc.
Bottle opener:D

Blinky

The more tools you have to complete a repair or to maintain the better. Specially specialty tools, don't do what I did and realize that I needed a axle tool to take off the rear axle when I wanted to be stupid and go knee dragging speeds in T1 at CMP with kitty litter still on the ground. Oh yea, a lift will works wonders too. Hope to see you out there.

Hammers fix almost everything.

beac83

Mike27,

The above lists are good. I have a similar track bike (04 GSXR600) and I'll point out some specific sockets, etc.

36mm socket for rear axle nut (usually 1/2" drive)
24mm socket for front axle nut (usually 1/2" drive)

1/2 to 3/8 and 3/8 to 1/2 drive adapters.

GSXR's use a lot of 8, 10, 12, 14mm sockets for various nuts, etc. so pick up a set of 'normal' sized metric sockets, say 8 to 17 or 19mm Also, a set of metric open-end wrenches in similar size ranges. These are relatively cheap (

jas0336

the lists above are great. One of the most important things (to me anyway) is having 2 torque wrenches. It's a pain since they are relatively expensive but the wrench that tightens your axles to 90 ft/pnds is NOT going to be accurate when tightening your calipers to 25 ft/pnds. Torque wrenches tend to be accurate toward the middle of their range so a large wrench that is from 20 to 150 is probably only accurate in the 50-100 area, give or take.

I dont have a trailer so I've found ways to consolidate everything but I bring everything to remove/install wheels, adjust suspension, make basic repairs...like replace clip on or case cover or rear set and the handy stuff already mentioned like duct tape, drill & bits and zip ties. If you have any spares like levers, covers, clip ons or rear sets I'd bring them too.

vinny337

Vin is in...Beastmode!
Control Rider
Mike good question...I must admit I do learn a lot from most post and this is one of those things you over look, especially if you're not mechanically inclined (like myself). I guess I better start shopping...........again. Thanks for the comments/feedback Nesba Team!!

mike27

Thanks guys. Good thing is I'm pretty sure I have most of that stuff somewhere in the garage. Just have to get some of the specialty stuff. Like the axle tool, I notices the front axle has a large hex not a nut. And a manual, don't have that.

jkrueger

the front axle tool

here (ebay)

or you can have one cut from 24mm hex stock
or you can go to menards and get a 5/8 coupling nut, they will be by the threaded rod.

mike27

Not sure. This bike is new to me. I'm still learning my way around it. Plus I've only got about a total of 15 mins. riding time on it seeing how it's obviously not street legal so the only time I've ridden it was a few minutes here and there around the subdivision.

sobottka

when i first started racing all I had was a craftsman 130 pc socket set, a front wheel tool, a motion pro t handle thing (1/4 inch drive) and a set of 1/4 inch drive metric allen sockets. i think i went to auto zone to buy a 36mm socket for rear wheel changes... come to think of it, i really dont have much more than that in my tool box today!!

JeffreyDeal197

lemondrop;100624 wrote: zip ties hold my bike together
you and me both! that and some JB Weld here and there >_>

i wouldn't have got out on track my first time either without the help of our fellow members. my ignorance left me with a clutch lever that didn't pass tech. 2 minutes later i found a guy (robfromga) that helped me out.
well that was what, 6 months ago or so, and i've become that much more of a mechanic since. next time around i'll be bringing all the tools i own as well, which means i won't be 'that guy' that rode his bike to the track :eek: