Pittrace Bad Crash 4/23/2022

GOOG

Front brake failure. Haven't been able to dig into it yet. Did about 2 laps before it happened. Brakes worked fine going into 6. Absolutely nothing going into 7. Pulled the lever a couple times and right to the bar. Locked the rear almost all the way to the wall before i tried to bail.

Delaminated EBC brake pad.

Jas05r1

Some assembly required
1st surgery went well. New titanium parts installed successfully. Hopefully they used the red loctite and safety wire! Next surgery will hopefully be in novemeber. Next surgery is when they poke the hole and the abutment will be visible outside the skin.....then to slowly start putting weight on it and see how it does!

Attachments

• 20220830_103945.jpg
    20220830_103945.jpg
    1,022.4 KB · Views: 27

Jas05r1

Some assembly required
Healing pretty well, still feel some pain in my left leg usually when the weather changes. Right leg still has phantom pain, which they are going to try to address again in stage 2. Stage 2 surgery will be Nov 18. If you can stomach the video, Ill post the 2 stages below.
Stage 1
Stage 2
Hopefully be back on a bike in the spring depending on how well the implant is integrated into the bone!!

Jake Balsiger

Control Rider
Wow, just watched them. That is incredible. Hope everything goes even better than planned. Did you ever identify the reason your brakes failed?

Jas05r1

Some assembly required
Had stage 2 surgery today. Painful but worth it. Can't wait to start walking/riding again! Good news is my wife and I stayed at a hotel near the hospital last night due to the snow storm and thankfully it wasnt cancelled. Getting home will be a nightmare tomorrow as our house received 5 feet (or in my case, foot ) of snow, down in hamburg, NY. At least it won't hurt if i fall . Adapt and overcome!

bmart

Control Rider
Dude, you are somthing. Wishing you an as quick and easy as possible recovery. Hollar is there is anything I can do from Charlotte, NC.

bmart

Control Rider
Not excellent here, but no snow. Dirt riding tomorrow will keep me warm. Take care of yourself.

1668821148858.png

@Jas05r1 - I might’ve mentioned this upstream in this thread but The Bike Experience USA may be a great start point for you to get your prosthetic connection and bike rear set configuration sorted.

Not related to The Bike Experience USA but a useful example nonetheless, a buddy of mine (Wayne Waldon) lost his right leg from the hip down. I don’t recall anything overly unique about his prosthetic foot (it’s custom but nothing exotic) but he has a purpose-built small platform with a couple of heavy gauge wire bails as a small “cage” as his right rear set. Left thumb brake, of course. Wayne is an A Group rider on an R6.

Back to The Bike Experience USA - it’s is a non-profit focused on helping amputees and paraplegics ride sportbikes on the track. I’ve helped Mike Petrosini twice and it was a very rewarding experience. It’s humbling and rewarding to help lift a guy in his 70s from his wheelchair onto his sportbike and then watch him keep pace in A Group. For the paraplegics, the left hand shifter button is pretty cool.

MIke Petrosini ( https://www.tbexusa.org/ ) is a great American. He lives in PA so it wouldn’t be a stretch to meet up to get insight about what it would take to get your bike ready. Since you retained full hip and thigh function, I’m betting you could be right back into really efficient laps by mid-season.

Really hope to get to meet you. Your willpower and positive attitude are exemplary.

Jas05r1

Some assembly required
Thank you! Going to link up with them in the spring! Hoping I won't have to mod the bike too extensively. Probably just a thumb brake and a way to attach the foot to the peg but will def take a look at the mods they are doing.

Jas05r1

Some assembly required
Little update: Skin graft didn't take so have been healing the old fashioned way...very slowly! Finally was cleared to start weight bearing training with a little shorty prosthetic. Dr said to still try to keep it immobilized to prevent the skin from pulling away from the bone around the post. Started last week with 40lbs for 10 min 2x/day. Am now up to 60lbs for 30 min 2x/day. Getting closer...and the wife hates the beard. :meatball:IMG_20230131_175430 (2).jpg