PittRace "Red Flags" and the kink, questions?

tad158

Astronomer not Astrologer
Boy I puckered for the riders in MotoA that hit this chicane and went soaring into the air. Sheesh on a leash. Be careful out there, friends.
Are you talking about the race last year? If so they put in new permanant curbing this year and changed the line through there.

tad158

Yep, that was last year. This is why they reinvented the chicane in a more permanent manner for this year.

corey4

i ran the crash truck last weekend for a different organization at pittrace. i had one pick up in T16 that resulted in a broken hip (from what i was told) from trying to overtake, or from being run off the track. there is YT video of it as well. for a track day that is basically the equivalent of a game of pick up hockey, it’s not worth it.

link:

go to the 7:50 mark. it was the first session of the day in A group.

that wasn’t the only incident on that portion of track. the other incident resulted in a broken back (again from what i was told) from one rider (who walked away) rear ending another rider which resulted in the supposed broken back. that crash also involved a life flight. i do know that it was a result of being rear ended because the rider who hit the one that got hurt told me that is what happened.

rpm894

i ran the crash truck last weekend for a different organization at pittrace. i had one pick up in T16 that resulted in a broken hip (from what i was told) from trying to overtake, or from being run off the track. there is YT video of it as well. for a track day that is basically the equivalent of a game of pick up hockey, it’s not worth it.

link:

go to the 7:50 mark. it was the first session of the day in A group.

that wasn’t the only incident on that portion of track. the other incident resulted in a broken back (again from what i was told) from one rider (who walked away) rear ending another rider which resulted in the supposed broken back. that crash also involved a life flight. i do know that it was a result of being rear ended because the rider who hit the one that got hurt told me that is what happened.
There is a reason I don't ride with Evolve. You are always going to have a few clowns that make their way into the advanced group, but Evolve is a full-blown circus.

From what I see in that video, that guy crashed because of his own mistakes, and there were many mistakes. Also, not quite sure what the guy in front was doing.

Let's not make T16 seem more dangerous than it is. It might be a fast turn, but it's pretty simple. The danger seems to arise from the misjudgment of closing speed on other riders and where the corner entry is coupled with the inability to adjust to the situation. That's why having a no passing cone somewhere between t15 and t16 to eliminate the judgment call makes sense for the novice and intermediate group.

Laszlo

The danger seems to arise from the misjudgment of closing speed on other riders and where the corner entry is coupled with the inability to adjust to the situation. That's why having a no passing cone somewhere between t15 and t16 to eliminate the judgment call makes sense for the novice and intermediate group.
Spot on.

bmart

Control Rider
If you are asking yourself if you should pass (or do anything questionable) at speed with these people we care about...just don't. "This is supposed to be fun."

rpm894

Well, they will be running the MotoA new chicane with the permanent curbing today and for the races this weekend, including the long endurance race. So I guess we will hear from them on what it is like, and maybe if we will be using that in the future.
I got to ride with the new chicane today. Better riders than me will have a more accurate assessment / opinion than mine.

The curbing is flat enough that you can go over it without a problem, which you will at some point because it is extremely difficult to get correct. You can completely blow the entry and stay on the main track, which seemed safe when I and others did it, but it might not be safe to do that in larger groups or if someone is on the outside. It seems easy to screw up the left turn or get in too hot and hit the grass on the right.

I could be completely wrong about this, but I felt like the chicane aims faster moving people directly into slower moving people. The people entering it making the right are pointed at the people making the very slow left in the middle. I was worried someone could really screw it up and basically T bone me.

Overall, I don't like it, but I'm biased because t16 is my favorite. Nonetheless, if the chicane sticks around for trackdays, I'm sure mastering it and getting through it smoothly will feel awesome and fast.

jcurtis

Control Rider
N2
The endurance races on Saturday had no red flags (with the exception of the one due to lightning that ended the race early). Everyone made it through the 2-hour and 6-hour endurance races cleanly with several racers saying they actually like the change. With any change, it takes people a little while to first adjust to the news, then to adjust and figure out how to run the new configuration. We saw this happen at Road Atlanta when we used the chicane for our first event almost a decade ago. There was a lot of crying and complaining ahead of time, but in the end people figured it out and embraced the change.

This configuration is the one that pro-racing will be using and we have a lot of current and upcoming MotoA racers who attend our events. We will use this to be consistent.

This change was contemplated well in advance of the event, and input was provided by top pro racers and officials from several organizations. This permanent chicane (track configuration option) is a significant improvement from the temporary curbing MotoA has been using. We had a timing loop connected and cameras installed across the chicane and monitored it all weekend. Despite what several individuals were (falsely) propagating on Friday, using the chicane went quite well.

mdhokie

As mentioned, we ran it without problems for the WERA weekend. The lack of major catastrophes doesn't mean I like the corner though; the entry is very tight and requires hard braking down to a crawl and isn't very flowing. If the entry could be widened a bit it would flow much better.

I did some analysis with my lap timer GPS data and found that it cost me about 5s over previous race laps without the chicane.

tad158

MK3Brent

Treebeard
I've been watching a lot of the races this weekend... this chicane is extremely sketchy still. The entry has everyone essentially clipping the first curb, unloading the rear, then nearly sending you straight into the next curb. Some bad crashes here this weekend.

Otto Man

John
Control Rider

I wish they would have included the track width of all the chicanes mentioned at those tracks.

rpm894

I've been watching a lot of the races this weekend... this chicane is extremely sketchy still. The entry has everyone essentially clipping the first curb, unloading the rear, then nearly sending you straight into the next curb. Some bad crashes here this weekend.
Last weekend at the N2/WERA races, there was a white line at the entry of the chicane on the right that projected out into the main track from the edge of the right curb. If I understood what they said at the riders meeting, it was a penalty for cutting the white line, and you couldn't run over the right curb without cutting the line. Basically, you had to enter the chicane at a steeper angle, which slowed the left down even more. So I was surprised to see how the Moto America guys were allowed to make it much more of a straight line. You can see the white line on the track still; they are completely ignoring it, so maybe that was just a test last weekend.

Otto Man

John
Control Rider
I got to ride with the new chicane today. Better riders than me will have a more accurate assessment / opinion than mine.

The curbing is flat enough that you can go over it without a problem, which you will at some point because it is extremely difficult to get correct. You can completely blow the entry and stay on the main track, which seemed safe when I and others did it, but it might not be safe to do that in larger groups or if someone is on the outside. It seems easy to screw up the left turn or get in too hot and hit the grass on the right.

I could be completely wrong about this, but I felt like the chicane aims faster moving people directly into slower moving people. The people entering it making the right are pointed at the people making the very slow left in the middle. I was worried someone could really screw it up and basically T bone me.

Overall, I don't like it, but I'm biased because t16 is my favorite. Nonetheless, if the chicane sticks around for trackdays, I'm sure mastering it and getting through it smoothly will feel awesome and fast.

Don't think you're wrong at all.

GeorgeB

GeorgeB
Control Rider
I'm sure its a work in progress too, Kinda like they moved the pitout line in turn 2 is now closer to rider left side of the track.