PittRace "Red Flags" and the kink, questions?

Otto Man

John
Control Rider
So what excuse is valid for passing there that puts the value of your lap times above my life?

That’s the only answer here and if you don’t have one don’t pass and don’t make me pack your stuff early and bid you good day.

Bad decision making in regards to passing is not limited to any one specific corner of any track. But, if you're going to place the value of life as the risk consideration, I'd ask to look at the statistics of where lives and limbs have been lost in all 19 corners.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
So what excuse is valid for passing there that puts the value of your lap times above my life?

That’s the only answer here and if you don’t have one don’t pass and don’t make me pack your stuff early and bid you good day.
Exactly. It's a trackday.

bmart

Control Rider
:whistle:

Anyone who has ever talked to me knows how I feel about tiny/tight chicanes...I'm keeping quiet!

Motofun352

Control Rider
I've been going to the Beave and PiR for over 15 years. It's always been the case that there's no passing in the second high speed kink. For the longest time this never seemed to be a serious problem. Now we have a compliance issue and things have changed.......It's going to take me (and probably others) a while to learn how to get through the new chicane safely. I hope this doesn't detract from my love of riding at Pitt. Short of stationing a director at the kink to mete out punishment for violators I don't know what else could be done.

rpm894

I've been going to the Beave and PiR for over 15 years. It's always been the case that there's no passing in the second high speed kink. For the longest time this never seemed to be a serious problem. Now we have a compliance issue and things have changed.......It's going to take me (and probably others) a while to learn how to get through the new chicane safely. I hope this doesn't detract from my love of riding at Pitt. Short of stationing a director at the kink to mete out punishment for violators I don't know what else could be done.
Is it really a problem now? Sounds like most of the crashes have been single bike.

If it keeps T17 open, I say put a director at the kink all day with a canopy, a black flag, and a cooler of beer.

GeorgeB

GeorgeB
Control Rider
I look at it as a another track I can add to my list of tracks I've done. So 40 so far and got 2 more to add next year.

Otto Man

John
Control Rider

WERA has been racing there for almost as long with just as good of a record as well.

I felt the 6 hour endurance went smoothly with the chicane this year because of the atmosphere of endurance racing. Having done one or two of them since N2/WERA rebooted the series back in 2016, I've always felt the endurance race starts are just a little more relaxed than a sprint race. When you can keep teams like Twisted Speed and AoD in your sight for the first lap, there's your sign...

Yeah, the teams are hauling ass, but there seems to be a few more clicks of "Ride Smart" in the endurance races, until the bikes separate and everyone kinda falls in place. Can't say the same for sprints...some racers go full potato lap 1 turn 1.

This natural separation of bikes after a lap or two during an endurance race means there's much more breathing room through the single line configuration chicane.

rpm894

Anyone know why they can’t or don’t put a giant sand trap on the outside? It seems like that would slow people down a lot more than just grass if someone goes all the way out to the wall.

GeorgeB

GeorgeB
Control Rider
Anyone know why they can’t or don’t put a giant sand trap on the outside? It seems like that would slow people down a lot more than just grass if someone goes all the way out to the wall.
Sand/gravel traps are for when vehicles leave the track surface. What PittRace did was try to prevent it from even happening.

Plus traps grab riders limbs and break them and why Wayne Rainy is in a wheelchair today. Plus bikes tend to flip easier in the traps.

meowculpa

Sand/gravel traps are for when vehicles leave the track surface. What PittRace did was try to prevent it from even happening.

Plus traps grab riders limbs and break them and why Wayne Rainy is in a wheelchair today. Plus bikes tend to flip easier in the traps.
Not to take away from the point you're trying to make, but more so for accuracy's sake - Wayne was paralyzed after his back hit a section of the Kerb/Curb at Misano, if I'm not mistaken. Not from a sand trap.

GeorgeB

GeorgeB
Control Rider
Not to take away from the point you're trying to make, but more so for accuracy's sake - Wayne was paralyzed after his back hit a section of the Kerb/Curb at Misano, if I'm not mistaken. Not from a sand trap.
It could be and sorry if I was wrong but his head did go in to the trap so likely adding to his spinal injury.