Pre Drilled oil pan plug

dolfnz67

I just finished using over 6 1/8 bits trying to drill a hole through my oil pan plug. To top it off, I broke the last bit just as I was breaking through the other side. Needless to say, the bit is stuck in the head of the bolt. Anyway, I'm heated, stressed and tired!! so I decided to just buy a pre drilled one but I can't find any place that sells them. Does anyone know where I can get a pre drilled oil pan plug? :notsure:

Thunderace

BIG JIM
Control Rider
If there is a little bit of drill bit sticking out the other side, then take a small nail and drive it back out. I've always found it easiest to start on the outside of the bolt drilling at an angle. Slow speed, light pressure and sometimes a bit of oil. Only broke a couple in a lot of tries.

brn6604

If I lived near a Suzuki dealer I'd sell you a pre-drilled drain plug. I was actually surprised at how easy it was to drill my Honda drain plug. I would expect all J-bikes to use similar material. I used a .04* bit from a cheap Harbor Freight HSS index in a cordless drill and it went through like butter. I think the wire I use is only .025. I drilled straight in from the top just enough to create a divot to hook the bit into, then went 45 degrees out the side of three of the flats.

2qwfpdj.jpg

Pascal

Drilling bolts is a good skill to develop, though it does take a bit of learning. It is possible you snapped the bit on exit if the bolt was surface hardened.

Couple things:
* use for cutting oil (cheap and it helps keep the bit cool)
put the bit as far into the drill as possible to minimize flexing of the bit (make sure it still sticks out far enough for your needs)
* use a QUALITY cobalt 1/16th bit instead of the cheapo's - makes a huge difference. I believe low speed works the best, though it has been a while
* start by creating a pocket to drill in. drill straight in for a 1/16th" so that you can drill sideways after wards and not have the bit slide around
* make sure you clamp the bolt down. I usually put two nuts over the thread and get them so that the surfaces are even. this way you don't damage teh threads.
* other option is to get a jig to hold hings in place. I picked upa really nice one a few years back from a small mom and pop machining place that seems to have gone out of businees. a lot of folks don't like the $20 jobbie that's out there, then again I've personally never tried it.
* some folks like the 3/32 bit better, never tried it myself.

dolfnz67

brn6604;123089 wrote: If I lived near a Suzuki dealer I'd sell you a pre-drilled drain plug.
2qwfpdj.jpg
brn6604, you have a pm.

Thanks for the replies they are greatly appreciated. I've drilled other bolts in the past without any problems. I guess I was just having a bad day where nothing was going right :banghead:. I'm just going to end up buying one since the drill bit is lodged in the bolt but got to do it fairly quickly as Mid Ohio is just around the corner :wow: !! Hopefully, I'll see some of you guys out there.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Also, Ed Bargy sells a trackday prep kit that has an OEM drilled plug, filler cap, a hose clamp for the filter, some safety wire, and the stuff and directions needed to disable your kickstand switch.

probolt sells 'em too.

I feel your pain. I can't drill for shit. Lenny hooked me up!:adore:

dolfnz67