Preference on Rain Tire choice..

Metal

I've performed a thread search, but could not find one that focus on "Rain Tire" comparison or which maybe better performance. Tires will be used in "I" group.

Please let me know your rain tire preference or experience.

Thanks

mattf

Subscribed......

Also, if you normally run a 190/55, would you run the same size in rains?

ronhix

I ran the Pirelli rains and did not like them too much.

I moved over to Dunlop last year and as a result ran the Dunlop rains at the AMA Road America weekend in 2009, these rain tires absolutely rocked! I ran those same Dunlop rains from last weekend at Road America and they worked very well again. They are an expensive tire, but they really work well and will last a long time if you take care of them.

I haven't tried the Michelin or Bridgestone rains, perhaps another will comment on those.

Here's a link to the tires that I run:
http://www.trackdaystore.com/Dunlop-Tires-KR-Rains-120-190-Set_p_417.html

liteitup

ronhix;124250 wrote: and will last a long time if you take care of them.
Is there anything special to do with rains to "take care of them"? Ive never ran a race rain tire but I may be this weekend... Any helpful tips on riding with rains would be great too!
Sorry Metal to butt in on your thread :eek:

steve p

First off, any Rain tire is going to be way better than any other DOT or race tire. They are designed to do one thing and only one thing. I have only run the Pirelli, Michelin, and Yokohama rains. The Yokohama were hands down the best but are no longer available. The Michelin's rock and inspire confidence in the wet. I am still adjusting to the Pirelli's as they have a completely "feel" to them than I have been used to. Looks like I am going to get to become more familiar with them this weekend at Putnam.

Fastguy

ronhix;124250 wrote: I ran the Pirelli rains and did not like them too much.

I moved over to Dunlop last year and as a result ran the Dunlop rains at the AMA Road America weekend in 2009, these rain tires absolutely rocked! I ran those same Dunlop rains from last weekend at Road America and they worked very well again. They are an expensive tire, but they really work well and will last a long time if you take care of them.

I haven't tried the Michelin or Bridgestone rains, perhaps another will comment on those.
Is the above quote your unbiased opinion or from your signature line, are you touting your sponsor's product?

Matt

Fastguy;124309 wrote: Is the above quote your unbiased opinion or from your signature line, are you touting your sponsor's product?

Ron's first time on Dunlop's was only for the upcoming AMA was hilarious. Nobody in our group had run Dunlops in years. We heard they were awful.

He threw some new NTEC slicks on to test since the AMA required Dunlops as the spec tire.

He came back in saying "we have a big problem".. everyone though "oh no, they suck"... he said "these tires are too good".... that was WELL before he had any sort of sponsorship from them.

And yes, I list dunlop as a sponsor as well but I don't have a deal with them. I simply get contingency IF I place well in a race. I tried them out and honestly believe they're the best tire available, hands down.

Metal

liteitup;124297 wrote: Is there anything special to do with rains to "take care of them"? Ive never ran a race rain tire but I may be this weekend... Any helpful tips on riding with rains would be great too!
Don't be, I'm taking it all in as well... keep sending info!

stephenjpauls

liteitup;124297 wrote: Is there anything special to do with rains to "take care of them"? Ive never ran a race rain tire but I may be this weekend... Any helpful tips on riding with rains would be great too!
I hope Marshall doesn't mind me posting this... it is a message he wrote me about rains... as I consider Marshall the tire god I trust it.

Marshall wrote:

Here's the deal, rain tires offer two types of wet traction.

1. Water channeling

2. Actual wet weather grip

The reason they channel water is obvious, and is the same reason why the DOT race tires are so dangerous in the wet, grooves designed to channel water, and grooves that go all the way to the sidewall pushing the water out from under your tire at all angles

BUT the wet weather grip thing is a bit trickier, the reason rain tires grip so well in the wet is because they have an extemely high amount of a certain type of silica in the compound. This rain compound is designed to heat up and grip at unbelievably low temperatures.

Unfortunately, when the tire starts to heat up it bakes the silica right out of them. (Deleted this portion it was about a specific situation)

One dry lap is enough to ruin a rain tire.

(Here agian was info about a specific transaction, but said that if tires are baked...)

They will not offer the wet weather grip they were designed for, they will only channel water. The will not grip as designed, especially in the corners and under load.

I know I'm the tire vendor, but please listen to me. Go buy Michelins, Bridgestones, Dunlops, I don't care who makes them, JUST BUY NEW RAIN TIRES.

Crashing is way too easy in this game, don't make it happen more than it already will.
Got to love how well he puts things.

ZLTFUL

Fastguy;124309 wrote: Is the above quote your unbiased opinion or from your signature line, are you touting your sponsor's product?
Definitely a valid question Rob, but one thing I have found to be true is that Ron absolutely does not BS when another rider's safety is on the line.
If he says the Dunlops grip better than the Pirellis, then I 100% believe him.

ronhix

This is a fair questions and I appreciate the honest question. I'll give you an honest answer.

I am fortunate enough NOT to be in a position to have an "unbiased" opinion. It is 100% true that I am Dunlop sponsored racer.

I am a Dunlop sponsored rider because I chose Dunlop, not vice versa. I chose to pursue a sponsorship with Dunlop after trying the Dunlops WHILE I was a Pirelli racer. I immediately recognized I could be more competitive on the Dunlops. They are awesome tires and I immediately realized that.

In my opinion, the Dunlop is the best tire out there. If I believed there to be a better tire out there, I would be on it...bottom line.

jsin38

Great info everyone. I was given a set of rains when I bought the SV and I have never used them.

The question is, how long are they good for on the shelf? They are mounted and balanced and are stored in the same garage as the bikes. The lowest temperature they see during the winter is about 50 degrees.

Cyclepath

I prefer the Pirelli's. I am not sponsored by them, they dont give me any free tires. I earn contingency as a racer like most of the rest of the world. I have 43 first place finishes on them and many were in the rain. I will never forget running the banks of daytona at 180mph+ in a downpour wondering if rain tires could hydroplane. The Pirelli's have never let me down. I have run Dunlops and I could not get the confidence in the front under braking like the Pirelli gives me.