Preferred rearsets?

jfeagin

Thinking about getting some rearsets for the adjustability, especially with the shift lever. I'm hoping it would help me to be smoother, etc. Doing some searching all I could find was what various people have on their bikes, especially ones up for sale. Had some homemade plates on my CBR that worked, but I'm not keen to go that route with the new ZX. Anybody have particular preferences? Are the Vortex more adjustable than the Woodcraft? Either one more durable? Should I be looking at a different brand? Any info appreciated!

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
I like my Woodcrafts, but they aren't adjustable. I have the expensive adjustable Satos on my 929, but once I put them in a spot I liked, I never moved them again. Not sure about the Vortex, I think they make an adjustable version. Can't go wrong with the Woodcraft or Vortex. Replacement parts are less expensive (than Sato, for example) and readily available. Most rearsets put you up and back about an inch. If that's sufficient, I don't see a need to get the more expensive adjustable ones.

Now, I can adjust the position of the shift lever on my Woodcrafts, just not the placement of the pegs. Pretty sure you can adjust stock shift levers, too.

jfeagin

Well, I'll be looking at my stock sets again as soon as we close up for the day. The Vortex and Woodcraft sets offer a fair range of adjustment, but I'm not sure about the shift lever. Of course, bolt-on parts are just fun to add. :D

Nexus

For the $299 sale, I'd find out if Turn One Racing has those rearsets in stock! That is cheap as heck!

Thunderace

BIG JIM
Control Rider
Do not buy PP Tuning rearsets. They are great, but they do not offer replacement parts in the US. The guy I bought the bike from put them on and I've had to manufacture my own pieces to make them work. I highly suggest you getting something easily replaceable if the need arises. Which it inevitably will.

Blinky

I have looked at both Woodcraft and Vortex before buying. I ended up buying Vortex because of the grip they offer. The pegs on Woodcraft feel like a fine grit and fairly smooth for me compared to the nice hard spikey feeling from vortex. I haven't slipped once with the Vortex.

BigBird

vortex are super grippy and the pegs act as great sliders...don't ask me how i know :eek:

i've also heard great things about woodcrafts...and some love gilles vcr ....

upnadam

Vortex gets my vote too. As stated very grippy and replacement parts are readily available online and trackside.

vinny337

Vin is in...Beastmode!
Control Rider
upnadam;131568 wrote: Vortex gets my vote too. As stated very grippy and replacement parts are readily available online and trackside.
:agree: try squeezing your peg with your bare hand...

rk97

I love the function of my Woodcrafts, but working on them can be a bit of a pain. the only 'adjustment' is lengthening or shortening the shift-rod. You can't move the pegs at all. On my bike, i still prefer them, because it's a 1-rod setup, versus 2 with a pivot point on the vortex version, but that may not apply to your bike.

I haven't looked at the vortex 'sets to know if they suffer from the same problem, but the peg itself (on the woodcrafts) is attached by a single bolt from the BACK side of the peg.

so if you crash, the bolt is what's likely to bend or break. On one hand, if you're good with an extractor tool, you might be able to salvage the peg itself and only buy a new bolt. On the other hand, it's a PITA to hold the peg with vice-grips, remove the entire rearset, and tighten that bolt that's on the back side of the assembly.

my casual viewing of the vortex's leads me to believe the peg itself just screws into the plate, or it's all one piece. Definitely easier to grip those pegs.

and FWIW, i've never had any problem with slipping on my woodcraft pegs. 2 different bikes and about 20 trackdays. Only 'failure' was a peg rotated when I didn't tighten it enough.

jfeagin

Thanks for all the replies! Checked my stock pegs and levers, no real accommodation for adjustment. I could fiddle with the shift rod linkage a bit, but it really looks like I'll need to go to aftermarket. The Driven and Sato definitely have adjustable everything in some fashion. A little harder to tell with the Woodcraft and Vortex. The Woodcraft look like they have the adjustment in the shift lever. Vortex doesn't show a picture of the accurate part and what they do show is pretty small. This could get expensive. Or I could just deal with it. Still got a few miles until engine break-in is done, anyway.

FaceRace98

I had Vortex on my 2003 R6. They do have lots of adjustment in position, my problem with them was that they would bend way too easy. I had a slow lowside on one side and the peg bolt, and main back plate bent pretty badly.
I was riding on the street with the left side still vortex a while later and fell at 5mph after hitting gravel. The same pieces bent, jamming the bike in 3rd gear.

Over the winter I purchased a bike with Woodcraft rearsets on it. So far I have been impressed with their quality. The design is much simpler and seems to be more durable. The bike was lowsided by the previos owner and the rearset is in great shape except for scuffs on the end of the footpeg.

For me, what the woodcrafts lact in adjustability compared to the vortex they make up for in function.

Yank 521

Control Rider
i like my vortex but never tried anything else. the new vortex also has adjustment on the shift and brake lever that u can make it longer or shorter depending on how big your feet are. they also fold in now to.

LUCKEDUCK

I have the sato's on my R1 and I love them!! They have adjustable everything from the pegs to the shift linkage to the rear brake lever!! They also have the option to go to gp shift!! Also EVERY part is replaceable!! If you want adjustabilty sato is the way to go...

BigBird

stealth 521;131737 wrote: the new vortex also has adjustment on the shift and brake lever that u can make it longer or shorter depending on how big your feet are.
i didn't know this. that would drastically help. thanks for the info!