Pucks

NCDave

For those of you with some experience on the track, what is the difference between brands of pucks? As an average track-day-only rider, is there really a reason not to just get whatever cheap I can find online?

HighWay

I have run only the A-stars and Klucky Pucks. The Klucky pucks are harder and last longer than the A-stars. Seems like all the cheap ones I have seen are soft and do not last long.

Gorilla

Control Rider
Cheap pucks can wear out in a day or so. I got some hard compound Chickhawk sliders that I have over 6 weekends on and still look good.

Jeff H

HighWay;117101 wrote: I have run only the A-stars and Klucky Pucks. The Klucky pucks are harder and last longer than the A-stars. Seems like all the cheap ones I have seen are soft and do not last long.
Same here, a-stars burned up quick, got some good pucks from woodcraft and they are much longer lasting.

D-Zum

My 13 year old is faster than your President
My 2 cents on the topic (since you're asking)

A*'s Provide good feel, but don't last.

I used to buy the Asphalt and Gas smiley faces because I got a kick out of them. They perform well, but were $60ish a set. I would get one season out of a set. When they're down on the deck, they provide quite a bit of friction, which causes your leg to get pulled out. Hope your groin's flexible.

I decided to try the Klucky pucks at the end of last year. ABSOLUTELY LOVE THEM. They skim across the pavement like butter. And they're NOT coming off.

Lombardo Joe

Question... In terms of passing tech, are pucks that are worn down a good amount going to fail you? I just bought a suit from a guy, and the right knee is probably 50%-60% worn down... Now, this is going to be my first track day, so I myself will not be putting any knees down. But do I have to throw new ones on? I checked the manual, and the only thing it has to say about pucks is that we can't have sparkies.

Trent1098S

Klucky pucks are the only way to go. A* pucks are so fuggin soft they're pointless.

You don't need pucks to pass tech so don't worry about how worn down they are. When they get worn down enough you're risking the suit itself (or maybe a little before), then change them out.

Remember to flip sides to keep the wear even.

Sklossmonster

Definitely several varieties of pucks to choose from, each with their own characteristics. It seems everyone likes something different, kind of likes bikes, or tires. Definitely a personal choice.

I love the Asphalt and Gas leather sliders, but they're pricey and they don't last long. And as someone above rightly stated, at some tracks they can be a bit grippy.

I also really like the Klucky Pucks, which one a Roadracing World kneee puck shoot out years ago, which is why we carry them http://www.turnoneracing.com/Knee-Sliders-c78/

There a ton of good soft ones, but they're too, well, soft. They just don't long enough for my cash.

Best of luck with whatever you decide. And use them in good health!

D-Zum

My 13 year old is faster than your President
OH..and just swap your right and left knee pucks and you'll be fine. More right turns than lefts at almost all tracks wears out the right side more.

Knee pucks won't fail you for tech, but once you're further into your learning curve, you'll want to spend the $40 for a set of Klucky's.

Just go out and have fun..take it all in. There's so much to learn I don't know where to begin. If you find something you're struggling with...take a note..find a Control Rider or your Group Capt., and ask..they're eager to help.

BIG thing that helped me was working on body positioning. One of our CR's Lenny aka "The Professor" gives a GREAT lunchtime seminar on the topic for B group. They usually do something like that at lunch in the Mid-Atlantic events. Ask the event Director if they'll offer that for that day..my prove helpful.

Meat

I actually prefer the Daytona ceramic ones that Helimot sells ( http://www.helimot.com/shopexd.asp?id=136 ). They are pretty expensive ($120) but last forever. As far as feel, they are the opposite of the Asphalt and Gas leather pucks in that the ceramic ones have very little friction and make a noise similar to....dragging a ceramic brick on asphalt.

Dainese is WAY too soft for me. They are the softest I have tried and if you really lean on them hard for too long in a turn they wear excessively fast due to a bit of melting along with the normal abrasion.

bodell

Has anyone tried live turtle kneesliders? They have great feel but leave one hell of a mess.
picture.php

NCDave

Lombardo Joe;117203 wrote: Good call, man. Thanks for puttin' me right and speaking encouragement into me. :D
good point...I dragged my knee at my first track day. I'm NOT fast, either. Practice your form of getting your butt and head leaning off of the bike, and good tires that you trust. You can do it!

Sklossmonster

I actually prefer the Daytona ceramic ones that Helimot sells ( http://www.helimot.com/shopexd.asp?id=136 ). They are pretty expensive ($120) but last forever. As far as feel, they are the opposite of the Asphalt and Gas leather pucks in that the ceramic ones have very little friction and make a noise similar to....dragging a ceramic brick on asphalt.

This is exactly what I was talking about, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I can't stand the super hard plastics and ceramics, they feel like a trailer ball between my knee and the track, but for others it's the exact opposite. Klucky's are a good happy medium, and quality is quality, regardless of feel.

You'll figure out what you like along the way.

As far as getting your knee down goes, ...

Practice your form of getting your butt and head leaning off of the bike, and good tires that you trust.
Too many people focus on dragging their knees or getting rid of "chicken strips" These are false gods. Good fundamentals of race lines and body position combined with smooth throttle and brake control is what it's all about. The rest of it just comes naturally.

Have fun learning it all for the first time!

danch

D-Zum;117215 wrote: OH..and just swap your right and left knee pucks and you'll be fine. More right turns than lefts at almost all tracks wears out the right side more.
+1

I swap left to right, then turn them upside down before I throw them out.

NCDave

Sklossmonster;117276 wrote:
Too many people focus on dragging their knees or getting rid of "chicken strips" These are false gods. Good fundamentals of race lines and body position combined with smooth throttle and brake control is what it's all about. The rest of it just comes naturally.

I 100% agree with you....but....when newb's first hit the track, one of the first things we all get a kick out of is doing it the first time. I've learned that there's FAR more to skilled riding than that, but I still remember the feeling of doing it for the first time. It's just part of what makes it SO much fun to get out on a track and stretch the legs of your bike. In short, it's just about the most fun you can have without a bed being involved! :D

vinny337

Vin is in...Beastmode!
Control Rider
NCDave;117322 wrote: I 100% agree with you....but....when newb's first hit the track, one of the first things we all get a kick out of is doing it the first time. I've learned that there's FAR more to skilled riding than that, but I still remember the feeling of doing it for the first time. It's just part of what makes it SO much fun to get out on a track and stretch the legs of your bike. In short, it's just about the most fun you can have without a bed being involved! :D
You're correct it is a Noob thing to go out and drag your knee....I had that same attutitde on my first track day Oct 2008. I dragged my knee and then winded up dragging my a** the session before lunch...:) Day was shot and I stayed away from the track close to a year. This is from experience, work on your breaking, body position, throttle control and smoothness...it will pay off :agree: